Author Topic: The Brokie Connection (a game)  (Read 71876 times)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Re: The Brokie Connection (a game)
« Reply #200 on: July 19, 2011, 02:00:22 pm »
Thanks for bumping this thread, Paul!

I didn't even remember what it was about, but I obviously played along once...   ::) ;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #201 on: July 19, 2011, 02:05:27 pm »
Thanks for bumping this thread, Paul!

I didn't even remember what it was about, but I obviously played along once...   ::) ;D

I read through it during lunch--very entertaining!

Next up:  Tolstoy

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #202 on: July 19, 2011, 02:10:01 pm »
I'd accept the challenge if I had the time, but I'm kinda packing atm... ::)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #203 on: August 17, 2011, 02:39:32 am »

Next:  Tolstoy

Thanks for revivifying this game, Paul!

You may well have been thinking of something else, but Christopher Plummer played Tolstoy in the recent movie The Last Station,

as well as playing Doctor Parnassus with Heath in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.  

Thus, Tolstoy is Brokieish.

Next:  Jellyfish

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #204 on: September 03, 2011, 04:10:56 am »
Hm... I've been trying hard on this, but can find no Brokie connection...   :-\

Anybody else?

Clarissa, you wanna tell us what you had in mind?

(the only thing I can come up with is that jellyfish have no spine, and neither do LD and Joe A, but I don't think that's what you were thinking of)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #205 on: September 03, 2011, 09:10:30 am »
Jellyfish is Brokieish because Jake the young lifeguard once rescued a young woman from a jellyfish sting by peeing on her leg.

Next up:  Elephant

[yes, Clarissa, that's exactly the Tolstoy connection I meant]

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #206 on: September 04, 2011, 02:43:19 am »
Next up:  Elephant

Elephant is Brokieish because it's the name of a Gus Van Sant-directed movie starring the actor John Robinson, who appeared with Michelle in Wendy and Lucy (which I didn't notice, even though I've seen it) and with Heath in Lords of Dogtown (which of course I did notice, since he's one of the stars and I love that movie). I haven't seen Elephant, but it is now on my Netflix queue.

Next up: Ryan Bingham (Bonus: provide BOTH absolutely unrelated but equally valid answers!).

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #207 on: September 04, 2011, 09:34:06 am »
Next up: Ryan Bingham (Bonus: provide BOTH absolutely unrelated but equally valid answers!).

Good one, K!  Also, Gus Van Sant was at one point slated to direct BBM.  

Ryan Bingham is Brokieish for five reasons that I can find:

1) He wrote and performed the award-winning song "The Weary Kind" for the film Crazy Heart which starred Maggie Gyllenhaal.
2) A review in Rolling Stone said he "earns his sepia-toned album cover with a dusty wood-and-steel sound, and despite being twenty-five, sings like Steve Earle's dad."
3) Another review:  Texas Music Magazine has opined that "Bingham talks and sings with a whiskey-and-cigarette throat that screams hard living. Hard in a way that can make a 29-year-old sound like a 50-year-old Tom Waits." [Tom Waits played the devil in Imaginarium.]
4) Wiki says he was a bull rider starting in his teens.
5) He played Tony in Crazy Heart, which also featured Beth Grant, of Donnie Darko fame; and Colin Farrell from Imaginarium.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #208 on: September 04, 2011, 10:17:45 am »
Good one, K!  Also, Gus Van Sant was at one point slated to direct BBM.  

:laugh: I knew about that, and then this morning I was lying and bed and thought, why didn't I type that?

Ryan Bingham is Brokieish for five reasons that I can find:

1) He wrote and performed the award-winning song "The Weary Kind" for the film Crazy Heart which starred Maggie Gyllenhaal.
2) A review in Rolling Stone said he "earns his sepia-toned album cover with a dusty wood-and-steel sound, and despite being twenty-five, sings like Steve Earle's dad."
3) Another review:  Texas Music Magazine has opined that "Bingham talks and sings with a whiskey-and-cigarette throat that screams hard living. Hard in a way that can make a 29-year-old sound like a 50-year-old Tom Waits." [Tom Waits played the devil in Imaginarium.]
4) Wiki says he was a bull rider starting in his teens.
5) He played Tony in Crazy Heart, which also featured Beth Grant, of Donnie Darko fame.

Excellent, Paul! I hadn't even thought of (meaning: didn't know about) Nos. 2 through 5. Bonus points for you!

Here was the other reason I had in mind: Ryan Bingham is the name of the character played by George Clooney in "Up in the Air," which also starred Vera Farmiga.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #209 on: September 04, 2011, 10:23:56 am »
:laugh: I knew about that, and then this morning I was lying and bed and thought, why didn't I type that?

Excellent, Paul! I hadn't even thought of (meaning: didn't know about) Nos. 2 through 5. Bonus points for you!

Here was the other reason I had in mind: Ryan Bingham is the name of the character played by George Clooney in "Up in the Air," which also starred Vera Farmiga.

Thanks, K.  That was a fun one.  I never would have gotten the Up in the Air connection, however.

I forgot to put up a 'next', so here it is:

Next up:  Elizabeth  Banks