Author Topic: The Brokie Connection (a game)  (Read 71893 times)

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
Re: The Brokie Connection (a game)
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2009, 02:55:33 am »

Next: multiplication

One of the most striking aspects of Ang Lee's achievement in Brokeback Mountain--one aspect of many--is the way he squares unwavering verisimilitude with visuals of remarkable beauty and finesse. Almost every frame, though rigorously controlled by its mandate of realism, is beautifully assembled--the textural duplication of sheep's wool in the fleecy coulisses of the pines that frame their ascent when Ennis and Jack shift camp, for instance, or the rhythmic multiplication across frames of the ogee line--first in the termination of the cliff toward which the sheep are moving in the first aerial shot of them, then in Ennis's hat brim, then in the escarpment edge in the shot that follows (Jack removing thorns from a sheep) and then in the unfocused branch across the following scene. One could point and analyse these beauties ad infinitum, and one could also write at length about the way the nicety of the period detail anchors the experience--detail that Annie Proulx has metonymized in the "speckled coffeepot": "People may doubt that young men fall in love up on the snowy heights, but no one disbelieves the speckled coffeepot, and if the coffeepot is true, so is the other"

Brokeish Multiplication

The formal design of Brokeback Mountain
Publication:  Film Criticism
Publication Date: 22-MAR-07

Next: Rimsky-Korsakov

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2009, 09:51:08 am »
Next: Rimsky-Korsakov

Rimsky-Korsakov was the composer of Capriccio espagnol, heard in BBM during Alma's Thanksgiving Day Spectacular.  The TV skaters were performing to this piece.  

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0jovaxJ4is[/youtube]

Next:  Jessica Lange

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2009, 11:18:06 am »
Next:  Jessica Lange

Jessica Lange played the role of Blanche DuBois in "A Streetcar Named Desire."

Ennis got the dry heaves after leaving Jack and thought it was something he ate in Dubois, Wyoming.

Thus, Jessica Lange is Brokeish.  :)

Next:  Plan 9 from Outer Space
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2009, 11:53:36 am »
Next: Plan 9 from Outer Space

Dudley Manlove starred as Eros in this film.  Need I say more?  

So, Plan 9 from Outer Space is Brokieish!

Next:  Mighty Aphrodite

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2009, 12:58:47 pm »

Next:  Mighty Aphrodite

Dang, y'all!  :)

We Brokies are like a Greek chorus to BBM.  Mighty Aphrodite has a Greek chorus, thus it's Brokieish - plus Peter McRobbie is in it.

Next: a xylophone

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2009, 01:04:36 pm »
Next: a xylophone

On the island Java, xylophones are part of the gamelan ensemble.  Jack and Ennis drank coffee.

So, a xylophone is Brokieish!

Next:  Chanel

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2009, 01:13:52 pm »
People often mix their Coco and their Java to make a mocha, thus, Chanel is Brokieish!

(Not my real answer, someone else feel free to go for it.)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2009, 01:22:25 pm »

Next:  Chanel

Coco Chanel's signature scent was Chanel No. 5, which my mother used to wear and asphyxiate me with when I was a child, thus Chanel is Brokieish.  Plus, Alma Jr.'s weddin' was June 5th.  Was hopin' you'd be there.

Next: Les Misérables

(Incidentally, Wikipedia gives the French pronunciation as [le mizeʁabl(ə)].  Thanks, real helpful, Wikipedia!)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2009, 01:30:05 pm »

Oops, Meryl beat me! Is this one of those games that if you miss it you miss it, or can more than one person answer?

Well, rather than post a new challenge and make this too confusing, I'll work on Meryl's challenge.

You can definitely post an additional response with a new idea for the last challenge(s), but I suggest having only one word/phrase/Brokieishness currently in play at a time.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2009, 01:36:37 pm »
Just to add to southendmd's answer about Mill Canyon Peak near Riverton, Utah, here is something from the National Weather Service web site that Annie Proulx might have seen in her research:

On July 18, 1918, two large bolts of lightning struck and killed 654 head of sheep on Mill Canyon Peak in American Fork Canyon. According to one historical account: "Forked lightning had struck twice and split down two sides of the peak...There was about a seventy-five foot swath in between the dead sheep and where not a one was injured...The dead sheep all had to be moved to the opposite side of the canyon so as to be off the 'water shed.' Men counted them as they were moved, 654 sheep had been killed."

"chewing gum and duct tape"