Author Topic: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)  (Read 698839 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)
« Reply #380 on: April 06, 2010, 09:15:43 am »
I gained two pounds over Easter weekend, but it seems to dropping off now as I get back to my regular eating habits.

Not yet, for me, but I'm hopeful.

I was down to my lowest point early last week. But as of yesterday, I'm back up again.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #381 on: April 06, 2010, 09:49:04 am »

10. Learn how to detoxify. Support your body's detoxification system and your liver function.

I followed this link, and it was quite eye-opening. I'm planning to do a detoxifying regimen this spring. I have had some sinus congestion all winter long, plus I think it will be just the thing to help me lose those last two pounds I need to shed. Here are the primary sources of toxicity, according to Dr. Hyman:

• Exposure to heavy metals like mercury and lead, petrochemicals, residues, pesticides, and fertilizers.

• Food allergies, environmental allergies, molds, and toxins from molds.

• Eating a standard American diet.

• Mental, emotional, and spiritual toxins -- isolation, loneliness, anger, jealousy, and hostility, all of which translate into toxins in our system.

• Medications can sometimes be toxins. Often we need medications, but the reality is that most of us are overmedicated and use medications to treat problems for which there are better solutions, such as lifestyle and diet.

• Internal toxins -- things like bacteria, fungus, and yeast inside our gut as well as hormonal and metabolic toxins that we need to eliminate.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #382 on: April 07, 2010, 07:39:23 pm »
One of the most valuable tips in this detoxifying article is to Avoid the White Menace! When you're trying to lose weight and improve health, avoid or cut down on white flour, white sugar, whole milk, white bread, white rice, potatoes, most boxed cereals, and salt! As well as items made with these ingredients. If it's white, don't bite! It works for me!!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #383 on: April 07, 2010, 11:52:23 pm »
So right, Lee.  I swear, I miss my morning bagel.  But, I had forsaken the white menace!

This very evening, Lynne and I shared a dinner of lovely crudités--celery, baby carrots, radishes--with little mozzarella balls, followed by sautéed jumbo shrimp that were marinated with olive oil, red pepper flakes, ginger, garlic and tangerine juice, and roasted broccoli.  All served with a cheeky Australian chardonnay.  No bread, rice, potatoes or pasta in sight!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #384 on: April 08, 2010, 12:03:12 am »
Good fer you!! Oh, yes, I forgot about pasta.

Last night I made steak marinated in teriyaki sauce on a bed of green cabbage, sliced turnip, shallot, apples, and multicolored sweet peppers. I didn't cook anything but the steak! Then, I toasted a mixture of flax seeds and black and white sesame seeds and sprinkled them over the top. I drizzled all with olive oil and more teriyaki sauce. It was a big hit!!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #385 on: April 11, 2010, 09:25:30 pm »
I'm so fortunate--the pounds just keep melting away.  And, I'm loving my new way of eating.  It really seems like a life change I can live with.  I eat a whole lot less, but I eat fresh, whole foods that I love.  Recently, I noticed that I don't get hungry in the way I used to.  I feel more alert, and with more energy.

Of course, I always knew what was "good for me" for years, and just did the opposite LOL!  Now that I have embraced the change, it feels very doable. 

I may have to update my goal. 

Tonight's dinner:  lovely crudités:  celery, baby carrots, radishes, yellow peppers with a roasted red pepper hummus.  Followed by raw local Island Creek oysters from Duxbury, then seared, very rare tuna with a tamari/rice vinegar/garlic/ginger/sesame sauce.  Then a salad of frisée, mache, sunflower seeds and diced very ripe red pear (no dressing).  To top it off, coconut sorbet with fresh fruit salad (strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, mango).  A cheeky Australian chardonnay. 

I'm having so much fun losing weight!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #386 on: April 11, 2010, 11:27:02 pm »
I'm so fortunate--the pounds just keep melting away.  And, I'm loving my new way of eating.  It really seems like a life change I can live with.  I eat a whole lot less, but I eat fresh, whole foods that I love.  Recently, I noticed that I don't get hungry in the way I used to.  I feel more alert, and with more energy.

Of course, I always knew what was "good for me" for years, and just did the opposite LOL!  Now that I have embraced the change, it feels very doable. 

Tonight's dinner:  lovely crudités:  celery, baby carrots, radishes, yellow peppers with a roasted red pepper hummus.  Followed by raw local Island Creek oysters from Duxbury, then seared, very rare tuna with a tamari/rice vinegar/garlic/ginger/sesame sauce.  Then a salad of frisée, mache, sunflower seeds and diced very ripe red pear (no dressing).  To top it off, coconut sorbet with fresh fruit salad (strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, mango).  A cheeky Australian chardonnay. 

I am really proud of you, Paul!  And I can vouch that this man is looking both trimmer and healthier!  I appreciate the times you've been having me over - I know I'm eating better then.

My overdue update is no change for the good; possibly bad - I'll have to look up where I started.  But I'm embarking on a new exercise program this week, so I'm not giving up hope!  Also a few life stressors have either been eliminated entirely or dialed themselves down somewhat, so I'm hopeful that keeping to a regular schedule will be easier.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #387 on: April 12, 2010, 01:07:15 am »

That is great, P! That is a great feeling, isn't it? And your menus sound delish.

Not to dampen your enthusiasm in any way, but just as a cautionary tale, I have felt like that at times and then felt completely differently the following week. Weight loss, at times, is a struggle, and other times it seems to come so easily.

One thing that I do find really helps is avoiding carbs, though. The other night I went out to dinner and had grilled salmon and some really wonderful Brussels sprouts. I didn't miss the pasta/potato/rice thing at all, the dinner was delicious, and it felt healthy but not ascetic.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #388 on: April 12, 2010, 06:44:17 am »
Ok, so I have a question for everyone....please be honest.

On the 22nd of this month, I'm staring the "Fat Smash" diet by Dr. Ian Smith. 

He's the doctor from the VH-1 show "Celebrity Fit Club", where overweight celebs go to lose weight.  On the most recent season, Jay McCarroll (winner of Project Runway) lost 40lbs in 9 weeks.

This was him before:

This is him now, with a fan:

Anyway, I planned on doing frequent updates, but I don't want this thread to become "the chuck show".  If need be, I can always start a thread on my own blog about what the diet is like and how I feel going through it.  I don't want to take away from this thread, but at the same time, I don't want to take over the thread either.

Opinions?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #389 on: April 12, 2010, 08:25:33 am »
Such an extreme diet worries me, Chuck. Also, are you sure that's not his head photoshopped onto another person's body?  :laugh: The photo looks fishy to me. But anyway, definitely check in here often ... we'll want to know how you're doing!

Me, I'm off to the gym this morning before work, because I didn't have a chance to exercise all weekend!!