Author Topic: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)  (Read 704562 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)
« Reply #920 on: April 20, 2013, 10:34:49 pm »
Thanks for all those suggestions, Katharine. Some of them sound pretty high-toned (smoked salmon, asparagus wrapped in prosciutto). I'm afraid a hard-boiled egg might be more my speed.  ;D

My grocery store sells packages of smoked salmon (both the hot-smoked, flaky kind and the cold-smoked kind, like lox). A pack of chunks of hot-smoked, around $13, lasts me about a week. It's about as difficult to serve oneself as a bowl of cereal.

My son went out today and grabbed bagels and lox, so my dinner is going to be a salad with lox, onions, chopped eggs and capers in a vinaigrette. Maybe sprinkled with some pumpkin seeds for crunch. Dessert: fresh raspberries. If I had avocado or chopped bacon, I'd add those, but I don't.

Actually, since I asked my question--and this speaks to what I quoted from your post--I'm not so sure fat isn't a concern for me, because I have a strong family history of heart disease.

Well, journalist Gary Taubes, my low-carb guru, says there's scientific evidence that fat, even saturated fat, does not cause heart disease. But I couldn't really follow the science, so I can't describe it or vouch for it. With a little googling, you could probably find the explanation. Something about making the LDL molecules bigger or ...  ???

I could, however, follow the science of why low-carb diets help you lose weight. I probably can't do it justice writing it here, but at least I understood it as I was reading.

I'm glad to know my scotch passes muster. I'll just switch to water as a mixer--which is how I drink it at home--instead of soda, which is how I ordinarily order it in a bar.

Soda as in sparkling water is fine! No carbs, no calories -- can't go wrong on any diet. But soda as in what we Minnesodans call "pop" -- Coke, 7Up -- has carbs unless it's diet. And if it is, I still think it's bad for you. But I'm assuming you wouldn't wreck good scotch with that.

Scotch with either club soda or water is good for you!  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #921 on: April 21, 2013, 03:40:49 pm »
Oi! Today was bad. ...

Whoever provided the "coffee hour" after church actually had hotdogs and sauerkraut. It wasn't really possible to eat the hotdog without a bun: No plates.  :( At least that was lunch.

My son went out today and grabbed bagels and lox, so my dinner is going to be a salad with lox, onions, chopped eggs and capers in a vinaigrette. Maybe sprinkled with some pumpkin seeds for crunch. Dessert: fresh raspberries. If I had avocado or chopped bacon, I'd add those, but I don't.

That sounds pretty good!  :D

Well, journalist Gary Taubes, my low-carb guru, says there's scientific evidence that fat, even saturated fat, does not cause heart disease. But I couldn't really follow the science, so I can't describe it or vouch for it. With a little googling, you could probably find the explanation. Something about making the LDL molecules bigger or ...  ???

I could, however, follow the science of why low-carb diets help you lose weight. I probably can't do it justice writing it here, but at least I understood it as I was reading.

I'm sure it's not too easy to follow, if correct. "LDL" (low-density lipoprotein) is actually the "bad cholesterol." That always seems counter-intuitive to me--you'd think "low" would be "good"--but it's actually "HDL" (high-density lipoprotein) that's the "good cholesterol."

For myself, I can only say that my dad was always quite the meat eater--I'm sure I remember him even trying a high-protein diet to lose weight when I was a kid, and that's got to be long before Atkins--and he had a quintuple bypass at age 62.  :-\

Soda as in sparkling water is fine! No carbs, no calories -- can't go wrong on any diet. But soda as in what we Minnesodans call "pop" -- Coke, 7Up -- has carbs unless it's diet. And if it is, I still think it's bad for you. But I'm assuming you wouldn't wreck good scotch with that.

Scotch with either club soda or water is good for you!  ;D

"Minnesodans"?  ;D Sounds like someone is unconsciously craving a Dr. Pepper. ...  ;D

Sorry. ...  ::)

I have no idea what constitutes club soda. I just know I tried to drink some once and it was awful.  :P

I wouldn't even wreck bad scotch by putting Coke in it, though I once had an absent-minded bartender do that; he pushed the wrong button on the "gun." Needless to say, he made me another drink immediately.

But, yes, I knew already that scotch is good for you!  ;D

"Making white men dance since 1494," they say.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #922 on: April 21, 2013, 07:23:17 pm »
For myself, I can only say that my dad was always quite the meat eater--I'm sure I remember him even trying a high-protein diet to lose weight when I was a kid, and that's got to be long before Atkins--and he had a quintuple bypass at age 62.  :-\

Well, that's a bad genetic precedent.

"Minnesodans"?  ;D Sounds like someone is unconsciously craving a Dr. Pepper. ...  ;D

Sorry. ...  ::)

Not unconsciously -- it was a deliberate pun. But actually, I hate Dr Pepper (no period in the company brand, BTW), and pretty much all other sugary soft drinks.

I have no idea what constitutes club soda. I just know I tried to drink some once and it was awful.  :P

Club soda is carbonated water.

I wouldn't even wreck bad scotch by putting Coke in it, though I once had an absent-minded bartender do that; he pushed the wrong button on the "gun."

:P

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #923 on: April 22, 2013, 09:09:57 am »
I didn't gain any weight back over the weekend. Yay!  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #924 on: April 24, 2013, 10:35:24 am »
I didn't gain any weight back over the weekend. Yay!  :D

And I seem to be managing to not gain it back this week, too.  :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Howzit going, Jeff?  :-\

Many sources warn us not to eat a lot of processed foods. But why? Here's one reason: processed foods have a lot of corn and soy, chiefly corn syrup and soy oil. Even baby formula is made primarily of corn and soy. That white stuff you put in your coffee that says, non-dairy creamer? It's corn and soy. Michael Pollan and a recent study conclude that "corn and soy’s  combined make up 40 percent of the total calories available to people. And, because they are cheap, corn and soy are disproportionately eaten by the poor and less educated.

Read more about it here: http://strongertogether.coop/fresh-from-the-source/soy-and-corn-healthy-choices-or-hidden-ingredients/

Thank you for reading this public service message of the day! Corn and soy are not in burgers and hot dogs (the high quality kind anyway), watermelon, or salads, so go ahead and enjoy these on your Memorial Day celebration! Have some corn on the cob too. Enjoy the grain as it was meant to be enjoyed.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Well, I'm not terribly surprised, but after nearly a week of vacation, I've gained back almost all the five pounds I struggled to lose a few months ago.  :-\

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
isn't that always the way it goes?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
After one year of slow and unsteady weight loss, I'm happy to announce that I've lost 12 kg!!! 

It's not much in one year, I know that - but after all 12 kg is 12 kg, no matter how long it took!

I'm planning on keeping it up, and if I'm able to continue like this I will be near my goal in about a year.
It's not unlikely that the speed will go down even more, as it often does, but then I'll just have to keep it up longer.

My method is as before: cutting down on the sweet and fatty stuff, and filling myself up with huge quantities of veggies and fruit.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
isn't that always the way it goes?

Sure enough.  :-\