Author Topic: Not a football fan? What are you doing today?  (Read 34082 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Not a football fan? What are you doing today?
« on: February 07, 2010, 11:50:29 am »
Superbowl, Schmooperbowl

Clueless about football?

Can't tell a tight end from a touchdown?

Couldn't care less about half-time?

Disinterested in $90,000-per-second TV commercials?

Don't know what a wardrobe malfunction is?

You're not alone, friend!

Tell us what you're doing today!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Re: Not a football fan? What are you doing today?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 11:57:24 am »
I'll start.

Luckily, we're not snowed-in where I live, and it's a beautiful, sunny yet cold day.  I'll be out and about doing errands.

Later, a healthy dinner, and, courtesy of Netflix, a viewing of:

North by Northwest!!  That wonderful Hitchcock film featuring a handsomer-than-ever Cary Grant with Eva Marie Saint, the incomparable James Mason, and starring SUSPENSE!

One of several posters.

The famous faux Frank Lloyd Wright house.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRfmTpmIUwo[/youtube]
Slightly bizarre trailer hosted by Hitchcock himself.

Cary and Eva.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 01:05:01 pm »
A great choice, Paul!

I am not a football fan but I - correctly I am sure - predicted the Saints as favorites to win. We'll see. I won't be watching because I can't sit still for televisions.

I'll be catching up on the many chapters of stories I haven't written during the weeks of my medical crises and relocation to DC, taking photos of the ridiculously epic snowbanks outside the window, and hemming my newly fitting pin-stripe dress pants that are three sizes smaller than the last pair I gave away.  YAY!

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 01:29:50 pm »
I'm completely clueless about football. I DO know what a wardrobe malfuntion is though.  :laugh:

But the superbowl doesn't go unnoticed here. There was a two page article in our weekend newspaper. I haven't read it, might do later. The title is 'American football is a passion, the Superbowl is an orgy'.  ;D That sounds interesting.

Enjoy the movie Paul.

Stay warm Louise!

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 01:32:16 pm »
Great idea for a thread, Paul!  It is gorgeous in Boston today. I have been up and about since nine. I went to Meeting and now I have a few errands and chores.

My beloved will be over this afternoon, and we plan to take an urban hike, followed by a viewing of The Dark Knight, which he hasn't seen. ;)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 02:28:25 pm »
hey Lynne, if you haven't seen "Wolverine"it is out on DVD and I saw copies of it in the Safeway.  I enjoyed it with a rewatch of the X-men series.

And staying warm is NOT a problem today - we have bright sunshine beating down and I am just getting settled in to writing another chapter of "Agents of the Law"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 02:55:43 pm »
Hmm.....tough choice..... but given the choice between superbowl (whatever that is) and schmooperbowl, I think I'll go for the latter. Not that I know what that is either, but somehow it sounds more familiar and friendly.   ;D

No, I didn't know what a wardrobe malfunction is either, but I looked it up...  ;)

I can think of another meaning of it, with a BBM connection. Wardrobe = closet; malfunction = something being used in a wrong way; a closet being used to hide one's homosexuality (a closeted gay) = a wardrobe malfunction!!   ;D

And please don't ask what I've been doing today, lest I get a nervous breakdown.
I'm moving, and it's hellish!! Although today I actually managed to get a little further with it all. Yay me!!   ::)  ;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 03:52:51 pm »
No no no a "wardrobe malfunction"is the term used during the infamous Super Bowl of 2004 to describe what happened when Janet Jackson showed off her nipple jewelry on national television and of course, her nipple at the same time.  I think they also call it "Nipplegate." The network was fined many millions of dollars for that incident.  Nowadays the term "wardrobe malfunction"is in common use as a euphemism for nudity.

"Wardrobe"in this case means a piece of clothing, not the closet it comes from.  A person's "wardrobe"is their collection of clothing.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 04:04:07 pm »
No no no a "wardrobe malfunction"is the term used during the infamous Super Bowl of 2004 to describe what happened when Janet Jackson showed off her nipple jewelry on national television and of course, her nipple at the same time.  I think they also call it "Nipplegate." The network was fined many millions of dollars for that incident.  Nowadays the term "wardrobe malfunction"is in common use as a euphemism for nudity.

"Wardrobe"in this case means a piece of clothing, not the closet it comes from.  A person's "wardrobe"is their collection of clothing.
I think that´s what Sonja found when she googled it. The BBM reference was a creation of her own, like she wrote.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 04:28:06 pm »
Louise, like Monika said I created the BBM reference myself. I thought it was a funny "alternative use" of the phrase.

But thanks for the explanation of the origin of the term, that's interesting! (and funny)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre