Author Topic: Not a football fan? What are you doing today?  (Read 33972 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Not a football fan? What are you doing today?
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 04:48:02 pm »
I think Justin Timberlake first used the term. He's pretty funny.

A non-football-fan friend in New Orleans has urged me to watch the game, saying it is to New Orleans what the rugby game in Invictus was to South Africa. That made it sound a little more interesting, and certainly heightens the drama of the outcome. But it's not enough to get me to sit there for three solid hours watching the actual playing.

Three other people in my house will be watching it. I'll probably stop in for the final few minutes, as well as for some of those $90,000-per-second commercials.

Otherwise, I'll probably be doing what I do just about every other waking moment of my life: surfing the internet.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 04:57:31 pm »
Superbowl? Is that like a great big bowl of dip or fruit?

Seriously, even when I did have cable (and if I ever do re-subscribe) I wouldn't watch Canadian or American football. The only sport I use to watch religiously on TV in the past two decades (other than the Olympics) was bull riding - the PBR variety. When OLN Canada started showing only the Friday night events, I sorta lost interest (the best bulls are kept for the finals - on Saturdays or Sundays).

Today, except for the fact that Bryan's not coming over (as he usually does) will be a pretty regular Sunday for me, with a pleasant mix of Bettermost, CivIV, and episodes of 'The Waltons', 'M*A*S*H', and 'Laura Cadieux' (all on DVD). I've already enjoyed a late lunch of hot (Angus) beef sandwich and I expect I'll be reading a chapter from either 'Harry Potter' (currently re-reading the 3rd book) and / or 'Les Héritiers d'Enquidiev - Renaissance' before the day is out. This book was released just a couple of weeks ago. It's the first of a series, the Next-Generation-like collection of 'Les Chevaliers D'Émeraude'.

Oh & I've also already been out for groceries.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 05:17:11 pm »
for those in need of a laugh, here's an 'In Living Color' (dated) explanation of American football.

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="
&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Apologies to those who are easily offended.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 05:59:22 pm »
Thanks, Roland, that was hilarious.  I love Blaine and Antoine:  "Two snaps up and your backfield in motion."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 06:16:15 pm »
I'm in the middle of cooking dinner, so this will have to be brief. But if some of you are looking for an alternative to the Super Bowl, you could always watch the Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet. It's really cute watching the puppies covort and play with each other. And you can watch it anytime throughout the evening. It will be repeating over and over again.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 07:41:09 pm »
There's puppies on the field! Lots and lots of puppies!

Tune into Animal Planet NOW to see them! One of them just went for a "swim" in the water bowl. :laugh:

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 08:37:20 pm »
Hi, David.  I'm afraid I don't have a choice but to watch the superbowl!  :-\  My mom and sister are huge fans and if I reach for the remote, I'll draw back a nub!  I did convince them to change to the puppy bowl, but they're getting impatient.  I may have to turn back to the SuperBowl at any moment.  Oh no, they're bored by the commerical breaks on APL, and now we're back to watching the Saints and the...who is playing?

My day started off with a sad note.  A beloved neighbor who is 100 years old fell this morning and was taken to the hospital.  I hope she pulls through, as I've known her since I was 6.  After my neighbor was taken to the hospital (I haven't heard about her status yet) my daughter and I went out to breakfast then to a coffee shop to do a bit of reading.  My brother invited me to his Superbowl party, but I won't even go next door to see the Superbowl, much less over 100 miles to Sacramento!  My daughter is now visiting her fiance and I'm at home with my mom and sister, a captive audience.  I'm on line because the game is boring me to tears!  I may lay down and take a nap.  I'm exhausted!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 08:47:41 pm »
My daughter is now visiting her fiance

Your daughter is engaged? Congratulations to her, Marie!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 11:19:22 pm »
for those in need of a laugh, here's an 'In Living Color' (dated) explanation of American football.

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="
&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Apologies to those who are easily offended.

That was so much fun! Thank you!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline fritzkep

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 12:35:01 am »
WHO DAT SAY DEY GON' BEAT DEM SAINTS? WHO DAT? WHO DAT?

NOBODY!!!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."