Author Topic: Euthanasia - What's Your View?  (Read 7746 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Euthanasia - What's Your View?
« on: February 25, 2010, 10:52:39 pm »
What's your view of euthanasia? I’m prompted to ask that question after reading that the BBCs Ray Gosling had euthanased his terminally ill lover.

It’s not a cheery subject, but certainly a valid topic for discussion, in my opinion.

Take the survey and tell us what you think and why it is that you feel the way you do.

Thank you for participating.

Here’s the story:

BBC Man Ray Gosling Admits Killing
Aids-Suffering Lover

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/nottinghamshire/8516499.stm

Ray Gosling

A broadcaster for the BBC's Inside Out program smothered his ailing lover to spare him from "terrible pain".

Police are investigating after the Nottingham film-maker said he had a pact with the deceased man to act if his suffering increased.

During a documentary on death and dying, Ray Gosling, 70, said: "I killed someone once. He'd been my lover and he got Aids. I picked up the pillow and smothered him until he was dead. No regrets."

Mr Gosling said he smothered his former lover while he was in a hospital - which he did not name - after doctors told him that there was nothing further that could be done for him.

"I said to the doctor: 'Leave me… just for a bit,' and he went away.

"I picked up the pillow and smothered him until he was dead. The doctor came back and I said: 'He's gone.' Nothing more was ever said.”

"When you love someone, it is difficult to see them suffer. My feelings on euthanasia are like jelly - they wobble about. This is the time to share a secret I have kept for quite a long time."

Nottinghamshire Police have started an inquiry.

A spokesman said: "We were not aware of Mr Gosling's comments until the BBC Inside Out program was shown. We are now liaising with the BBC and will investigate the matter."

Dr Peter Saunders, of pressure group Care Not Killing, said the facts need to come out in court.

Dr Saunders said: "We have a case, by Ray's account, not of assisted suicide but of intentional killing or murder."

Assisted suicide remains a criminal offence, but interim guidelines issued in September by the director of public prosecutions set out the factors which weigh in favour of and against prosecution in different cases in England and Wales.

Last month Kay Gilderdale, 55, of Stonegate, East Sussex, was cleared of the attempted murder of her severely ill daughter who had ME. Mrs Gilderdale had administered lethal drugs to end 31-year-old Lynn Gilderdale's life after her daughter called her for help when her own attempts at suicide failed.

Days before that another mother, Frances Inglis, 57, of Dagenham, east London, was jailed for nine years for murder after she injected her brain-damaged son Thomas, 22, with a lethal dose of heroin.

Mr Gosling, asked by Inside Out presenter Marie Ashby if he had regrets, said: "Absolutely none. He was in terrible pain - I was there and I saw it. It breaks you into pieces. I don't think it's a crime. If he was looking down on me now he would be proud that I did it and proud I've told other people."

When asked about the dead person's family he said: "Some know, some don't. It's best that way. Let it be."
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Euthanasia - What's Your View?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 01:38:59 pm »
Actually, at the risk of being contrary, I have a concern about the wording of the first selection, specifically with the statement that it should be each individual's free choice. The problem I have with that is, unlike suicide, euthanasia requires the action of more than one individual, not just the individual who decides that it is time for his or her life to end. So an act of euthanasia requires the free choice of at least two individuals, not just one individual.

But maybe I'm just being picky. Sorry about that!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 03:11:55 pm »
Actually Jeff, you raise a very good point. Euthanasia does require action from another person. You are asking someone else to terminate your life.

Maybe you know, euthanasia has been legal in my country for some time now. There's an official procedure you have to go through, two doctors need to certify that you are of sound mind in taking this decision and that you are terminally ill or suffering intolerable pain. Doctors need to register when they have performed euthanasia.
I think I would prefer to end my life myself. I agree that it would have to be done in consultation with the doctors. Something like 'assisted suicide'. If I were still able to take the medicine, I would prefer this than someone else ending my life.

There have been a few highly publicised cases in the last couple of years. A politician suffering from colon cancer gave an interview telling about the fact that he had decided to go through with this. He said that while it was a relief that he knew he wasn't going to have to suffer until the end, he said that actually 'choosing' the day your life would end was a very hard decision to make.
After he had died his brother talked about the day he died, it was very emotional and hard but also very serene. He said he was torn between accepting that his brother's wishes had to be respected and at the same time fighting the urge to ask his brother for a few more days. When are you really ready to accept goodbye? Or accept that a loved one thinks it's time to say goodbye? It's very difficult.

In our language we don't talk about 'being euthanised' but about a 'death after euthanasia'.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 03:38:44 pm »
I feel very strongly about this and not just for pain. My mother died a very slow death. She was not in pain due to modern medicine but for months she needed constant care from my sister with some help from me. Feeding , tolletting, bathing etc. I was nearly in tears as i spoon fed her and she said she did not know what she would do without me and my sister.  We would take her out, I pushed the wheelchair and my sister pushed the oxygen cylinder. She loved our little outings. However it was 24 hours care by my sister. I would relieve for a few hours so my sister could go shopping or have a coffee with a friend.  She regularly said 'you live too long" She died one month short of 97. Her mind was good until the last two days. Nearly all her friends had either gone or had dementia. When Mum was in hospital, the nurses were kind but rushed off their feet, they could not take time to feed patients. My sister would be at the hospital before breakfast and stay until after lunch. I would come i nthe evening for dinner and see Mum made ready for the night. There were other elderly ladies in the ward with no-one to take care of them, barely touching their food. Again it brought me to tears.

My only relative is my sister, 10 years older than me, and even if she outlasts me I do not think she could go through something like that again and nor should she. I hate the thought of being totally dependent on strangers. I think I will terminate myself at the first sign of something like that happening while I am still capable. It would be good to know I could live longer and ask someone to help me go.

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 04:58:34 pm »
I agree, if by "individual" it is meant someone's own life, not another's.   I assume that's what was meant - individual = one.  Each individual has the right to decide about their own life, and to make their wishes known to their loved ones, medical caregivers and an impartial legal advocate, and it should be carried out by medical professionals in a hospice situation or equivalent.  I am not comfortable with any other circumstance.  That said, in actuality it would be incredibly difficult to actually see that those wishes were respected.   There's nothing that can ease the pain or loss of a loved one; the best you can do is make it easier for them.  Your mother was so lucky to have such loving children as you and your sister, brianr.
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 07:05:12 pm »
Actually, at the risk of being contrary, I have a concern about the wording of the first selection, specifically with the statement that it should be each individual's free choice. The problem I have with that is, unlike suicide, euthanasia requires the action of more than one individual, not just the individual who decides that it is time for his or her life to end. So an act of euthanasia requires the free choice of at least two individuals, not just one individual.

But maybe I'm just being picky. Sorry about that!

That's a very valid point, Jeff, and thank you for raising it. I guess what I was thinking about was a situation like "Not For Resuscitation" (NFR) orders. Here in Australia, under certain circumstances, patients can choose not to be resuscitated:

Likewise, I was thinking that in the case of euthanasia, one could make a similar choice. Perhaps you have a history of dementia or Alzheimer's in the family. Or you fear being kept alive by machines indefinitely, in a vegetative state. You could leave specific instructions, just as one does re NFR or in choosing to be an organ donor, for example.

It would be your own individual choice. Perhaps the form could be kept by your lawyer with your Will and other papers.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 07:29:08 pm »
And there's the euthanasia / suicide debate. Why not just commit suicide? Why involve others in your death?

I'm thinking that euthanasia would be a last resort for those who are not physically capable of committing suicide; Alzheimer's, dementia, coma, etc. And it would need to be strictly regulated; terminally ill and in excruciating, unmanageable pain.

It's true that people do come out of comas, but many don't. Just as with NFR, perhaps a 97yo with a long history of cardiac arrest could be resuscitated and live another 10 years. It would be your choice to sign the euthanasia form,  outlining your own individual choices and requirements.

I'm not sure about elsewhere in the world, but here in Australia there's a small band of elderly people who fly to Mexico to buy a drug (?name?) that pretty much kills you instantly. They then smuggle it into Australia. Why do they do it? Well, from what I understand they, or a loved one (for the drug is often not for themselves, but to assist  a loved one),  have been given a diagnosis of terminal illness and fear pain, and the loss of their independence and dignity. And they have heard horror stories about mishaps involving the taking of overdoses of over-the-counter drugs that could leave you disabled or worse, but not have the desired result of killing you. I am guessing that these people prefer not to take the violent-end option, such as jumping off a cliff or hanging oneself (guns are not widely available to the general population here in Australia). And who could blame them? They are wanting to retain a little dignity and control.

I strongly believe that this would need to be strictly administered.

For these reasons, I chose the first and third options above.  
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:45:28 pm by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 08:17:32 pm »
I voted #3

I believe there should be strict guidelines that would be adhered to under strong penalty.

For example in the case of Ray Gosling, he murdered his lover.  Yes, the patient had no hope and was dying anyway, but we only have his word that his lover wanted to be put out of his misery.  For all we know, Mr. Gosling made that decision on his own FOR his lover.  I can't imagine the horror of being terminally ill, in pain, still stuggling, just to have the one you loved most suddenly start to murder you - with no warning, no time for goodbyes, no time to make peace.

I'd've rather have heard it from the lover that he wanted to go and not he who killed him after the fact.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 09:29:19 pm »
It's called assisted suicide, and it is ALWAYS the choice of the person who is ill.  It just might not be the choice he or she made at the time of death due to incapacity.  But the choice is always the individual's.

That's what a Living Will is for; the documented choice for Do Not Resuscitate. 
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 10:22:50 pm »
   First I will say that it is legal in Oregon to have assisted suicide.  When it was first
voted into law, the US then overturned the law.  It was sent to the supreme court, and
now it is law again.
   I personally believe that it should definitely be an individuals choice.  Rather than have
to live in abject pain, and horrible disability.  If that is your choice, you should be able to
write it in a legal document, and have that wish carried out, if you have sufficient reasons
for that decision.
 That way the person that helps you, wont be placed under arrest, or
incarcerated for helping the loved one.
   Death should be a choice, just as life should be.  I dont believe in mental illness as a
sufficient reason for it, but a logical and proper misery in life, should not have to be
endured.  I think you should have enough support from Doctors, etc. that show that
you are going to die anyway, but it will be a long and miserable death.  I am a person
that believes in personal choice in all things.  As long as you are not mentally impaired,
 to the degree, that it makes your decision from a mentally impaired directive.

Beautiful mind