Author Topic: Hey, Look! She’s Naked! But It’s Art, So It’s All Right.  (Read 5321 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Hey, Look! She’s Naked! But It’s Art, So It’s All Right.
« on: February 26, 2010, 05:23:40 pm »

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/26/nyregion/26naked.html

Hey, Look! She’s Naked! But It’s Art, So It’s All Right.

The artist Brian Reed looks at his installation, which features a nude woman, at Chair and the Maiden
in Greenwich Village.

By JOHN ELIGON
Published: February 25, 2010

One after the next, they trudged through the horizontal-blowing snow on Thursday, most focusing more on the icy sidewalk than on the body of a naked woman, who stood in a gallery window in Greenwich Village.

There was the occasional elongated stare, or, in at least one case, a mother breaking her prepubescent son out of his trance with a firm tug.

Then, not long after the nude woman, Megan Hanford, assumed her pose, a patrol car rolled toward the gallery, Chair and the Maiden . The police vehicle rolled slowly, paused for a moment, and then kept going.

A similar exchange on Sunday did not quite go that way; the gallery’s curator, David Zelikovsky, said that the police forced Ms. Hanford, 26, out of the gallery’s storefront. (The police said that Mr. Zelikovsky voluntarily removed her from the window at their request.)

Ms. Hanford is part of the gallery’s latest exhibit by Brian Reed. She stands fully naked under a suspended web made of various objects including shark eggs and teeth, beads and clay pipes. Her nakedness is essential, Mr. Reed explained, “so she can be fully at the center of that connectivity” of energy.

Some may call it art, others something less flattering.

The line between art and public indecency has continually been tested, from Spencer Tunick’s mass nude outdoor photo shoots that started in the early 1990s to Amy Gunderson’s going topless at the Mermaid Parade in Brooklyn in 2001.

Like most things in our system of jurisprudence, the answer is everything but clear.

“I believe that the base of any culturally free city depends on its acceptance of the body nude, in art and in life,” Mr. Tunick wrote in an e-mail message.

Mr. Tunick and his allies usually point to a clause in the state statute addressing public nudity that provides an exception for “the breast-feeding of infants or to any person entertaining or performing in a play, exhibition, show or entertainment.”

They say that this clause makes the law clear: as long as it is in the name of artistic expression, you may appear naked on any street corner, storefront or other public space.

Some, however, say that the law does not allow one to impose nudity on others, especially for commercial reasons.

“If you’re walking down a street in New York City and someone is naked in the window — and so children and whoever can see it — you’re depriving people of their choice,” said Daniel S. Connolly, a managing partner at the law firm Bracewell & Giuliani, and a former lawyer for the city who handled public nudity cases. “That’s where you butt up against other people’s rights.”

Mr. Connolly, who represented the city in a lawsuit filed by Mr. Tunick about a decade ago, said he believed that the First Amendment did not necessarily protect public nudity when it was for a commercial purpose.

“The gallery owner and everyone would like to tell you this is a battle of government against the little guy and freedom of speech versus censorship,” Mr. Connolly said, referring to the Chair and the Maiden exhibit. “I don’t think so. This is a guy who owns a gallery who wants to get some attention.”

Ronald L. Kuby, the lawyer who represented Mr. Tunick in the lawsuit, said the gallery was in the right as long as it was portraying an artistic message.

“Simply walking around naked in and of itself is not protected conduct under the First Amendment,” Mr. Kuby said. “But lying down in the street naked with other people in order to express the duality of nature versus man, or to illustrate some post-apocalyptic vision, is artistic and does communicate a message.”

Mr. Tunick started his photo shoots in New York in the early 1990s. He sued the city after he was arrested several times; the charges were dropped each time.

In June 2000, the United States Supreme Court ruled that the city could not stop him from staging a mass nude photo shoot below the Williamsburg Bridge.

Mr. Tunick has since taken his mass installations to many other cities around the world. Perhaps the exposure of such displays has made some people indifferent.

As she strolled past Chair and the Maiden, holding her young son’s hand on Thursday afternoon, Alexandra Conley barely took a peek toward Ms. Hanford.

“I’m a native New Yorker, so I’m pretty unfazed,” she said.

Mark Moffa, who lives in Chinatown, stopped and said, “Wow, I’ve never seen anything like this,” adding that he thought it was “inappropriate because there are kids.”

In the end, Ms. Hanford made it through her four-hour shift in the window without police intervention. Paul J. Browne, the department’s chief spokesman, said they took no action because there was no lewd act.

Beyond the legality, Mr. Kuby offered up another theory for the lack of interference: “The truth is, even the cops like looking at naked people.”
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: Hey, Look! She’s Naked! But It’s Art, So It’s All Right.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 09:28:30 pm »
Well now, in my humble opinion, there's Art and there's crap art.  

I suspect Mr Reed's installation fits into the latter category.

In all the decades I have been attending exhibitions - hundreds of 'em (exhibitions that is, not decades) - I have to say that I have NEVER yet come across an installation that I've found to be inspirational, exhilarating or uplifting - or even creative, for that matter. High Art, they ain't!

I always feel I'm being conned when I view an installation.

I put installation artists in the same basket with graffiti artists; i.e., if you have absolutely no artistic talent whatsoever, then why not knock together an installation, or vandalize a public building instead.

Excuse me, Your Majesty, but you're wearing no clothes!
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 09:46:13 pm »
What Kerry said.

And why is it, most male artists always like to put a female nude on display?  Ah for the ancient Greeks who would have slapped up a gorgeous young male body in their art.

I suspect had it been a full nude male on display there would have been more immediate outrage.

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 01:51:41 pm »
you're wearing no clothes!   :laugh:

On the one hand, I agree that it may be gimmicky, in that it garners attention and presumably financial gain for a gallery that otherwise might not be noticed without the nudité.

On the other hand, I think people should walk around the streets naked all the time, without any requirement that it be considered "art," whether "A" or "a."

And in that sense I think the presentation makes an important statement, and is thus "Art."

Wear clothes if it's cold. Although I do have to admit, street shoes and socks with no shorts might look pretty dorky.

And yes I agree that a nude male would elicit outrage, while a nude female does not. That annoys me.
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 05:59:32 pm »
I am currently arguing on another board that someone coming up with good ideas for jewelry design doesn't necessarily make them an artist.

I found this blog article while making my point with Red Square by M. Malevich

http://badarthistory.blogspot.com/2009/12/kazimir-malevich.html