Author Topic: Now THAT'S Art (from the 'OK Go' boys)!  (Read 46273 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Now THAT'S Art (from the 'OK Go' boys)!
« on: March 04, 2010, 11:06:24 pm »

:D

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJulhGUh8vU[/youtube]

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 08:56:43 am by Aloysius J. Gleek »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Re: Now THAT'S Art!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 11:14:14 pm »

;D

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qybUFnY7Y8w&feature[/youtube]

"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 11:43:18 pm »
Very cool!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 12:30:38 am »

Very cool!

I agree! Elegance is often beautiful, but not always so cheerful as this. Bravo!

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/03/the_making_of_an_ok_go_video_s.html#comment_list_bottom

The Making of an OK Go Video: Singer Damian Kulash Breaks Down ‘This Too Shall Pass’
3/4/10 at 6:00 PM

Like many of you, we’re gobsmacked by OK Go’s latest video, “This Too Shall Pass,” the band’s ode to Reuben Lucius Goldberg. It manages to not only evoke the sheer delight of the elaborate treadmill choreography of the band’s earlier video for “Here It Goes Again,” but also encourages ridiculous amounts of repeat viewing, if only to figure out how the motherfrackin’ hell they did it. We met with OK Go’s boyishly handsome frontman Damian Kulash for a drink at the Soho Grand’s bar, where he explained that, for the band, videos are art projects onto themselves — they aren’t created to tell you more about the song. In fact, the song is chosen after they settle on the concept for the video. Kulash then enthusiastically spilled some of the secrets behind the making of “This Too Shall Pass.” But before you read on, take a first or second (or tenth) look at the three-and-a-half-minute video so you know what he’s talking about.

How did you settle on using “This Too Shall Pass” We had videos of various Rube Goldberg machines, and we’d play our songs along with them. Some were too upbeat or too slow. “This Too Shall Pass” had an anthemic quality that celebrated the machine.

Were you inspired by that (totally real ) Honda Accord ad? It’s impressive and thrilling, but it’s so beautiful that you lose the element of I can’t believe it worked! The more beautiful it is, the harder it is to believe CGI wasn’t involved. My inspiration was PythagoraSwitch, a Japanese children’s show — sort of their Sesame Street. They do these crazily ingenious ten or twenty second Rube Goldberg machines — there’s a twenty minute-ish collection of a bunch of them that I’ve watched a dozen times.

How long did the video take to make, and how many people were involved? We started last August by posting an ad looking for someone to help us for a couple of months. Two days later, eighteen people applied. We couldn’t afford more than one staffer, so we split that salary up among everyone — though none of them were really in it for the money. There were a core dozen people, with about 60 on the days we were shooting. Most of them had day jobs at NASA or Jet-Propulsion Labs and came from a group now called Syyn Labs, which is composed of people who have too much creativity for their jobs or whose projects don’t fit into the academic art scene. We spent September looking for spaces; we ended up with a run-down place in Echo Park for $5,000 a month, which we had to completely overhaul. We were also working on basic design logistics, breaking the video down into six-second segments. We moved into the space in early November, and the build began later that month. We were on tour in December and the beginning of January, but the engineers worked tirelessly to get the machine to happen; they’d send us plans and videos for approval. Mid-January was spent finishing the machine. We had a couple of days of rehearsals, and then two 24-hour days of actual shooting. At the end of the video you see some of the engineers, but we were doing it in shifts so unfortunately it’s only about half of them.

Did you have rules for how to shoot it? Pages and pages of rules! The most important was no magic, no cheating. People had to see how difficult it was — you can’t fake unlikeliness. But we talked exhaustively through everything, like debating what defines magic and or how constraints make creativity.

How many takes are we talking about? Over a hundred, though roughly 62 of what we defined as a successful take — which we considered to be getting beyond the dominoes, the metal balls and what we call the Japanese table [which Kulash built with his dad], where you first see me. The hardest task was keeping the machine in time to the song — we just couldn’t screw that up.

Well, you definitely managed to bring the magic. But come clean: How much editing did you have to do afterward? We did three takes of the segment with the water descent [which occurs at 2:18 in the video], but only once did the water flow match the song. It pains me to say it but that part is edited in.

How much did the video cost? Our first video was financed by EMI and had a big-time director; the label called the shots and we got billed for over half a million dollars. Let’s just say we could have made three videos for “This Too Shall” pass for that amount of money.

Your troubles with your label, EMI, are well reported, and you started going around them early on, making your videos for a comparative pittance. They had nothing to do with your latest video, either. How did you finance it? State Farm gave us the money. They were looking for new ways to get their message out online. They took a leap of faith and let us go for it with no micromanaging. They were a lot easier to work with than a record label, and they had no issues with the video being embedded on websites. They only cared how their name would be used. [If you look closely at the little red truck that starts the video, there’s a State Farm label on the side. Go State Farm! But does that mean the future of the music industry is ... insurance?]

By: Mary Kaye Schilling

"Camping Out"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 11:05:52 pm »
Love those vids, John!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 12:01:52 am »
That's better than Wallace and Gromit's morning routine!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 02:06:06 am »
Hey John, just wanted you to know that I watched this video tonight for maybe the 17th time. It's a great cheer-up, which I would never have been made aware of it if weren't for you. Thanks!!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 10:42:34 am »
Just now seeing this.  Both those videos are spectacular.  Thanks, John!  And to Katherine for bumping.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 02:04:18 pm »
Yep, same here. I missed it the first time 'round.
I think I liked the treadmill video even better than the machine one, but this may have been for the surprise effect. I've seen Goldberg machines before (even though I didn't know the name), but the treadmill vid is absolutely unique (I think).
Both are very creative and fun to watch in any case!
 8)

Now THAT'S Art! The band 'OK Go' (The Treadmill Guys) do it again--with dogs!
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 06:25:00 pm »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHlJODYBLKs&feature[/youtube]

Little side note: all the 'OK Go' videos never cut or edit--it is always in one take.

Another little side note--in the Rube Goldberg video (This Too Shall Pass), a sledge
hammer had destroyed a TV monitor playing the earlier video (Here It Goes Again),
AKA The Treadmill Guys. I'm wondering what references one might find in this new
video; well, upside-down plastic trash buckets, for sure.

"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 09:09:21 pm »

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

I love them.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Re: Now THAT'S Art! The band 'OK Go' (The Treadmill Guys) do it again--with dogs!
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 01:02:47 am »

Little side note: all the 'OK Go' videos never cut or edit--it is always in one take.

Another little side note--in the Rube Goldberg video (This Too Shall Pass), a sledge
hammer had destroyed a TV monitor playing the earlier video (Here It Goes Again),
AKA The Treadmill Guys. I'm wondering what references one might find in this new
video; well, upside-down plastic trash buckets, for sure.

With so many dogs involved, I find it hard to believe it's filmed in one go. But damn, were they well-trained! And even if they had to edit in the one or other place (like they did with the water in the Rube Goldberg vid), it's still a great achievement.
And yet again, extremely creative. They live up to the title of the thread :).

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
Re: Now THAT'S Art! The band 'OK Go' (The Treadmill Guys) do it again--with dogs!
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 09:48:44 am »
But damn, were they well-trained!

I wish whoever trained those dogs would come here and train mine.

I watched this video with my 14-year-old son last night. Then we scrolled up and watched the other two. Always enjoyable, even though by now I've already watched "This Too Shall Pass" about 20 times.  Thanks, John! :D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 03:29:07 pm »
From Salon:

http://www.salon.com/life/internet_culture/index.html?story=/ent/2010/09/21/how_ok_go_could_save_the_movie_musical&source=newsletter&utm_source=contactology&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Salon_Daily%2520Newsletter%2520%2528Not%2520Premium%2529_7_30_110

Internet Culture
Tuesday, Sep 21, 2010 09:30 ET
Can OK Go save the movie musical?
The band's brilliant new music video combines dogs, dancing and low-fi technical wizardry. Directors, take note! Video
By Matt Zoller Seitz

Every couple of years, the mercilessly catchy pop band OK Go comes up with another charming, low-tech video that makes pretty much any Hollywood musical made in the last 30 years look lame. Their latest, "White Knuckles," which pairs the musicians with an array of trained dogs, is another  classic of playful choreography, different from but equal to their other wonderful work. It starts like all their other videos: with the performers standing stock-still, waiting for the music to start. Then they dance. And that's all there is to it -- unless you count the elaborate stacking and unstacking of transparent wastebaskets and the impeccably timed entrances and exits of pooch after pooch, some climbing or jumping on the musicians, others leaping onto chairs and being wheeled through the shot, yet another bounding through a pile of wastebaskets and seeming to hurl itself right into the lens.

Like "Here it Goes Again," "A Million Ways," "End Love," "This Too Shall Pass" and other classics, this new video does more -- much more -- with less. Bandmembers Damian Kulash, Tim Nordwind, Dan Konokpka and Andy Ross aren't professional dancers and don't pretend to be. That's never been the appeal of these pieces, directed and choreographed by lead singer Kulash's sister Trish Sie (one of the videos, 2007's "Here it Goes Again," won the band a Grammy for best short-form video). They dance about as well as someone with a smidgen of rhythm might dance if he or she spent a couple of weeks rehearsing a routine with a professional choreographer and film crew -- and that, paradoxically, is a big part of what makes these videos so beguiling. Like Feist's justly celebrated "1234" and the low-budget musical "Once," they restore a sense of wonder to the musical number by letting the performers' humanity shine through and allowing them to do their thing with a minimum of filmmaking interference. This type of musical number respects the sanctity of time and space. It shows the performers' bodies from head to toe and allows them to do their thing in real time, without cuts.

It seems like a simple enough concept, and for the first few decades of the musical's existence, it was embraced and practiced as a matter of course.  When Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers danced in 1935's "Roberta" or other films of the pre-TV period, we saw most or all of their bodies, and the filmmaker went a long time without cutting, deducing (correctly) that too many cuts would shatter the spell the performers were weaving, and might imply that there was some sort of cheating going on. For about 30 years now, the default mode has been to obliterate any sense of spatial relationships by focusing on hands, feet and faces and to never hold a shot longer than a couple of seconds for fear of boring the viewer. It's all cut-cut-cut now, even in films and TV series that star highly trained professional performers (for example, "Dreamgirls," "Nine," and "Glee").  If the filmmakers aren't pulverizing vocals and dancing into a whirl of fragments, they're using musical performance as glue for an expository montage, cutting restlessly from a performer singing a song about loss to, say, a lover packing his or her bags, or their old childhood home being torn down, or whatever -- as if a good song and a good performance need to be helped along.  They don't. Really.

Why hire people who can really sing and dance, then destroy their performances? Or worse, hire people who can't sing and dance and try to make it seem, via editing magic, as if they can? Why not just show people singing and dancing with a minimum of interference and let their sincerity and concentration carry the day, regardless of how much talent or training they possess?

The latter is OK Go's specialty. It's a testament to the power of simplicity that modest performers like these can generate ten times the excitement of a typical Hollywood production number, with its aerobicized backup dancers, strobe-flash cutting and swooping camera moves. Even though you can clearly see the bandmates fretting as the video unfolds -- worrying that they won't hit this or that mark, or that the dog will run in the wrong direction -- their eager-to-please concentration is entertaining because it's all bound up in their determination to give viewers a pure performance, unmediated by filmmaking voodoo. What they're doing is more pure, and thus more enjoyable, than the norm.  Purity trumps a fat budget any day.

As Cinematical's Christopher Campbell, another OK Go booster, wrote, "OK Go has already made their film debut as the wedding band in 'I Love You, Man,' so they're clearly not against being on the big screen. Other filmmakers I can see them working with include the Rube Goldberg-inspired directors Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Tim Burton and Nick Park, who could maybe do an animated OK Go movie -- the band's own 'Yellow Submarine'?"

Somebody should start a petition.

Re:Now THAT'S Art! 'OK Go' does it again--with dogs (and a GOAT?, yes, at 2:50)!
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 12:14:21 am »

From Salon:

Internet Culture
Tuesday, Sep 21, 2010 09:30 ET
Can OK Go save the movie musical?
The band's brilliant new music video combines dogs, dancing and low-fi technical wizardry. Directors, take note! Video
By Matt Zoller Seitz

(....)

The latter is OK Go's specialty. It's a testament to the power of simplicity that modest performers like these can generate ten times the excitement of a typical Hollywood production number, with its aerobicized backup dancers, strobe-flash cutting and swooping camera moves. Even though you can clearly see the bandmates fretting as the video unfolds -- worrying that they won't hit this or that mark, or that the dog will run in the wrong direction -- their eager-to-please concentration is entertaining because it's all bound up in their determination to give viewers a pure performance, unmediated by filmmaking voodoo. What they're doing is more pure, and thus more enjoyable, than the norm.  Purity trumps a fat budget any day.

(....)

Thanks so much for this, Katherine--didn't see this before--loved the author's almost take on the classical 'Aristotelian unities' in the OK Go videos!

And here's something ELSE I didn't see at first; I had emailed the premier release this week to my friend Judy in San Francisco (a major dog-and-animal-lover), and she emailed back the next day, saying she raved about it, being so human and humane and humorous--especially humorous because of the GOAT at 2:50!

GOAT?? Yes. There he is, at 2:50.

Like the other OK Go videos, this one just gets better each and every time!

"Camping Out"

'OK Go' did it with dogs (and a goat)--but once they did it with a canny GOOSE!
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 12:43:27 am »

Classical unities
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The classical unities, Aristotelian unities or three unities are rules for drama derived from a passage in Aristotle's Poetics. In their neoclassical form they are as follows:

The unity of action: a play should have one main action that it follows, with no or few subplots. (check.)

The unity of place: a play should cover a single physical space and should not attempt to compress geography, nor should the stage represent more than one place. (check!)

The unity of time: the action in a play should take place over no more than 24 hours. (check! )

;D
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2fpgpanZAw[/youtube]
Very Theatrical Goose Bids for Immortality at
3:17!

"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 12:43:50 am »
Ha!  I never looked closely at that goat.  Assumed it was a dog.  Way cool!  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Re:Now THAT'S Art! 'OK Go' does it again--with dogs (and a GOAT?, yes, at 2:50)!
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 12:45:02 am »
And here's something ELSE I didn't see at first; I had emailed the premier release this week to my friend Judy in San Francisco (a major dog-and-animal-lover), and she emailed back the next day, saying she raved about it, being so human and humane and humorous--especially humorous because of the GOAT at 2:50!

GOAT?? Yes. There he is, at 2:50.

Like the other OK Go videos, this one just gets better each and every time!
[Where's the Goat? At 2:50, that's where![/url]

Ohhhhh. Yes, there it is! :laugh:
I missed it the first time. I marvelled at those perfectly performing Malis (Malinois), and at the same time decided the men must have had treats in their left hands at this particular part of the vid, judging from the dogs's attention. And then I misssed the goat which comes third in the row, directly after the Malis. My attention was on the dogs and on spotting where the dogs' commandos came from in the various scenes.
Anyway, the goat was a funny addition.

Another post by you just came in. Haven't read it yet.
No, two posts meanwhile :laugh:.

Re: Now THAT'S Art! 'OK Go' (actually PARODY by Babelgum): "The Big Pie"
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 12:56:50 am »

omg.

Well, as they say, PARODY is the best flattery!

OK, Go--HERE!! (HiLARious!!)

http://www.babelgum.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babelgum

According to the company's website, Babelgum's goal is "to act as an international 'social glue'", bringing a vast range of content to a global audience of different nationalities, like a "modern-day Tower of Babel". The company's green bubble-shaped logo is therefore a visual pun on the name as well as a reference to Babelgum's interest in ecological issues.

"Camping Out"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
Re: Now THAT'S Art! 'OK Go' (actually PARODY by Babelgum): "The Big Pie"
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 08:25:12 am »
omg.

Well, as they say, PARODY is the best flattery!

OK, Go--HERE!! (HiLARious!!)

That's pretty funny. Imagine the group devoting so much effort and time and imagination (and at least some money) to that project.

OK Go's "Last Leaf"

:)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkYfB1C0Zgc[/youtube]

http://www.okgo.net/

Last Leaf
November 9th, 2010

We are excited to share with you the video for our song Last Leaf.  It is comprised entirely of photographs…15 still shots for every second of video.

Oh yes, and toast. Lots and lots of toast.

The result is a bit different than the last few videos we’ve made from this album, and we hope you like it.

If you should be the last autumn leaf hanging from the tree
I'll still be here waiting on the breeze to bring you down to me
And if it takes forever, forever it'll be

And if you should be the last seed in spring to venture out a leaf
I'll still be here waiting on the rain to warm your heart for me

--Damian Kulash

Official Music Video for OK Go's "Last Leaf"
This video was made in partnership with Samsung NX100 iFn -- http://www.cre8yourworld.com

Directed by OK Go, Nadeem Mazen and Ali Mohammad
Produced by Shirley Moyers
Animation art by Geoff Mcfetridge, Champion Studio

"All 215 loaves of bread used in the making of this video were past their sell-by date and rescued from the clutches of certain disposal."

« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 08:46:54 pm by Aloysius JMM Bear, Esq. »

"Camping Out"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 12:50:35 pm »
Wow. Thanks for another amazing video. Keep 'em coming, OK Go and John!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 01:11:16 pm »
Painstakingly good!  :P  :P  :P
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Wow. Thanks for another amazing video. Keep 'em coming, OK Go and John!

Painstakingly good!  :P  :P  :P

Thank you, both!

I think the fellows of OKGo are amazing, in that they are real artists AND they are 'good guys' in the sense that--they are, in a gentle way, a force for good.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtUuxtVNjGw&feature[/youtube]

"Camping Out"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2010, 01:34:29 pm »
I want a toaster like that!
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
OK Go's "Last Leaf"

Thank you for sharing, John :).
This is the first of their videos where I liked the music equally to the vid.
Not that I didn't like the other songs, I did. But I liked this one more.

Am I the only one who waited for a toast of which was already a piece bitten off?

Re: Now THAT'S Art (in full color)!
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2010, 03:27:15 pm »

I want a toaster like that!

Hmmm...
Well, maybe not...
 :o ::) ;D

Am I the only one who waited for a toast of which was already a piece bitten off?

Ha! Chrissi, I was looking for a poached egg!

Here's an OK Go video from last year--

Col orf ul!
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H5bUxe3v9g&feature[/youtube]
click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H5bUxe3v9g&feature

I've been trying to get my head around,
what the fuck is happening?
I'm trying to make some sense out of
what you're doing with my head.

It's like a skydive
or getting high
The kinda thing'll maybe kill you.
It's like I'm eye-to-eye
with a wild lion.
Oooohh,
I don't know what to tell you.

There's just this thing about you.

So maybe you can help me clear this up,
cause me myself I just can't tell.
Are you some kind of dark sorcerer
Am I under some kinda of spell?

'Cause I could go on for days,
just crazy about it, oh,
You're so respectable,
a little animal.

It's like a skydive
or getting high
It's like I'm eye-to-eye
with a wild lion.
Oooohh,

There's just this thing about you,

So are you gonna tell me what comes next,
or am I just supposed to know?
Do I make my own decisions here,
or am I under your control?

'Cause I been like this for days,
just crazy about it, oh,
and it's startin' to get, you know,
a little uncomfortable,

It's like a skydive
or getting high
It's like I'm eye-to-eye
with a wild lion.
Oooohh,

Do you think I'm out of line?
Do you think I'm out of line?
Well maybe it's fine, maybe it's alright it's like I'm eye-to-eye with a wild lion,
yeah I don't know what to tell you.

There's just this thing about 'cha..

« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 06:53:29 pm by Aloysius JMM Bear, Esq. »

"Camping Out"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OK_Go

OK Go

OK Go is a Grammy Award–winning rock band originally from Chicago, Illinois, USA, now residing in Los Angeles, USA. The band is composed of Damian Kulash (lead vocals and guitar), Tim Nordwind (bass guitar and vocals), Dan Konopka (drums and percussion) and Andy Ross (guitar, keyboards and vocals), who joined them in 2005, replacing Andy Duncan.

(...)

Formation (1998–2002)

The band's lead singer, Damian Kulash, met bassist Tim Nordwind at Interlochen Arts Camp when they were 11. Kulash was in for graphic design, Nordwind for music. The band name comes from their art teacher, saying "OK...Go!" while they were drawing. They kept in touch after camp, often exchanging mixtapes which influenced each other's musical taste and their future sound. They met the band's former guitarist and keyboardist Andy Duncan in high school, and drummer Dan Konopka in college. OK Go was formed in 1998.

(and etc.)

"Camping Out"

Now that's HOMAGE to Art: OK Go's Treadmill with LEGOs and...The Simpsons!
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2010, 10:23:17 am »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJulhGUh8vU[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zPPsqKYkEg&NR=1[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS_Ots3My-A&NR=1[/youtube]

"Camping Out"

AND: Now that's HOMAGE to Art: OK Go's Treadmill with...Granbury High School!
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2010, 10:47:55 am »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq7r3F1SoX0[/youtube]

:laugh:

"Camping Out"

OK Go's Damian Kulash: 'WhoseTube?' (and why you can't view embedded videos)
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2010, 11:41:37 am »

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/20/opinion/20kulash.html

Op-Ed Contributor
WhoseTube?

By DAMIAN KULASH Jr.
Published: February 19, 2010

Melbourne, Australia

MY band is famous for music videos. We direct them ourselves or with the help of friends, we shoot them on shoestring budgets and, like our songs, albums and concerts, we see them as creative works and not as our record company’s marketing tool.

In 2006 we made a video of us dancing on treadmills for our song “Here It Goes Again.” We shot it at my sister’s house without telling EMI, our record company, and posted it on the fledgling YouTube without EMI’s permission. Technically, this put us afoul of our contract, since we need our record company’s approval to distribute copies of the songs that they finance. It also exposed YouTube to all sorts of liability for streaming an EMI recording across the globe. But back then record companies saw videos as advertisements, so if my band wanted to produce them, and if YouTube wanted to help people watch them, EMI wasn’t going to get in the way.

As the age of viral video dawned, “Here It Goes Again” was viewed millions, then tens of millions of times. It brought big crowds to our concerts on five continents, and by the time we returned to the studio, 700 shows, one Grammy and nearly three years later, EMI’s ledger had a black number in our column. To the band, “Here It Goes Again” was a successful creative project. To the record company, it was a successful, completely free advertisement.

Now we’ve released a new album and a couple of new videos. But the fans and bloggers who helped spread “Here It Goes Again” across the Internet can no longer do what they did before, because our record company has blocked them from embedding our video on their sites. Believe it or not, in the four years since our treadmill dance got such attention, YouTube and EMI have actually made it harder to share our videos.

A few years ago, reeling from plummeting record sales, record companies went after YouTube, demanding payment for streams of their material. They saw videos, suddenly, as potential sources of revenue. YouTube agreed to pay the record companies a tiny amount for each stream, but — here’s the crux of the problem — they pay only when the videos are viewed on YouTube’s own site.

Embedded videos — those hosted by YouTube but streamed on blogs and other Web sites — don’t generate any revenue for record companies, so EMI disabled the embedding feature. Now we can’t post the YouTube versions of our videos on our own site, nor can our fans post them on theirs. If you want to watch them, you have to do so on YouTube.

But this isn’t how the Internet works. Viral content doesn’t spread just from primary sources like YouTube or Flickr. Blogs, Web sites and video aggregators serve as cultural curators, daily collecting the items that will interest their audiences the most. By ignoring the power of these tastemakers, our record company is cutting off its nose to spite its face.

The numbers are shocking: When EMI disabled the embedding feature, views of our treadmill video dropped 90 percent, from about 10,000 per day to just over 1,000. Our last royalty statement from the label, which covered six months of streams, shows a whopping $27.77 credit to our account.

Clearly the embedding restriction is bad news for our band, but is it worth it for EMI? The terms of YouTube’s deals with record companies aren’t public, but news reports say that the labels receive $.004 to $.008 per stream, so the most EMI could have grossed for the streams in question is a little over $5,400.

It’s decisions like these that have earned record companies a reputation for being greedy and short-sighted. And by and large they deserve it. But before we cheer for the demise of the big bad machine, it’s important to remember that record companies provide the music industry with a vital service: they’re risk aggregators. Or at least, they used to be.

To go from playing at a local club once a month to actually supporting yourself with music requires big investments in touring, recording and promotion — investments young musicians can’t afford. My band didn’t sign a contract with EMI because we believed labels magically created stars. We signed because no banker in his right mind would give a band the startup capital it needs.

Record companies, on the other hand, didn’t used to expect that all their advances would be repaid. They spread the risk by betting on hundreds of artists at once, and they recouped their investments by taking the lion’s share of the profits on the few acts that succeeded.

At least, this was all true when we signed our deal in 2000. Today, as the record industry’s revenue model has collapsed with the digitization of its biggest commodities, companies are cutting back spending on all but their biggest stars, and not signing nearly as many new acts. If record companies can’t adapt to this new world, they will die out; and without advances, so will the futures of many talented bands.

In these tight times, it’s no surprise that EMI is trying to wring revenue out of everything we make, including our videos. But it needs to recognize the basic mechanics of the Internet. Curbing the viral spread of videos isn’t benefiting the company’s bottom line, or the music it’s there to support. The sooner record companies realize this, the better — though I fear it may already be too late.

Damian Kulash Jr. is the lead singer and guitarist of the band OK Go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OK_Go

OK Go

(....)

On March 10, 2010, it was announced that OK Go had cut ties with EMI and Capitol and formed the independent label Paracadute Recordings. Of the Blue Colour of the Sky  was re-released on April 1, when the new label took over the promotional campaign and all distribution responsibilities for the album. While the official statement was that the two parties were departing on good terms, it was speculated that the split was caused by the band's discontentment with the major label over efforts to block viral distribution of the music videos from Oh No  and Of the Blue Colour of the Sky.

(....)

OK Go performing in May 2006
(from left) Tim Nordwind, Dan Konopka, Andy Ross and Damian Kulash.

"Camping Out"

New York Magazine 's Year End Wrap-Up

A Very, Very Big Year
In 2010, over-the-top was often just right.

By Adam Sternbergh
Published Dec 5, 2010

If you were to gather the culture stars of 2010 in a room and ask them to retroactively pitch their biggest ideas, it would sound like an inmate’s meeting at an asylum for the delusionally grandiose....Yet if there was one thread that connected the highlights (and a few failures) of the last year, it was this: the Grand Gesture, the Big Gamble, the all-out Swing for the Fences....

OK Go’s “This Too Shall Pass”

How do you exist as a band in a post-label, post-single, post-band world? Apparently the same way you get nearly 20 million views on YouTube amid a sea of competing distractions: with a riveting, militaristically choreographed, single-take video involving a Rube Goldberg sculptural-art installation. The video with the dogs was pretty awesome too.

"Camping Out"

Re: Now THAT'S Art! (The 'OK Go' boys and the Muppets?? Yes, the Muppets.)
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2011, 08:55:40 am »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiMZa8flyYY&feature[/youtube]
&feature
Instead of a goat, this time
there's a sheep! ("Baaark?")
 ;)

"Camping Out"

Now THAT'S Art--from the 'OK Go' boys (OK Go + Pilobolus - All Is Not Lost)!
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2012, 09:59:48 am »

How did I miss this??

??? ???

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur-y7oOto14[/youtube]
Uploaded by OkGo on Jul 25, 2011

Enjoy the full interactive experience at http://www.allisnotlo.st

Directed by OK Go, Pilobolus and Trish Sie
Producer: Shirley Moyers
Director of Photography: Yon Thomas  
   Editor: Paula Salhany

"Camping Out"

Behind the scenes!!
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F51etPr4v5s[/youtube]
Uploaded by OkGo on Jul 27, 2011

With a message for Japan
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akyxuKZgy7Q[/youtube]
Uploaded by OkGo on Jul 27, 2011

"Camping Out"

More behind the scenes--

:)
1 (feet!)
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNbZFjF5exk[/youtube]
Uploaded by OkGo on Jul 26, 2011

2 (The Collaboration)
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4J5SUpvjc0&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

3 (working with HTML5 )
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI8DBfgJvdw[/youtube]

4 (the dance)
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bp21wN-1J4&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

"Camping Out"

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Re: Now THAT'S Art (from the 'OK Go' boys)!
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2012, 01:40:00 pm »
Thanks John-Pilobolus is my my favorite dance company. I discovered them about 20 years ago and have followed them since.

Heathen

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2012, 03:52:00 pm »
Thanks John-Pilobolus is my my favorite dance company. I discovered them about 20 years ago and have followed them since.

That's a long time to follow. Haven't you ever gotten tired?

;)  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2012, 04:17:52 pm »
That's a long time to follow. Haven't you ever gotten tired?

;)  ;D

a few blisters and the distance between us continues to grow but I chase on!
 :-*

Heathen

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2012, 04:20:08 pm »
a few blisters and the distance between us continues to grow but I chase on!
 :-*

;D  :-*
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2012, 08:35:01 pm »
Very cool video.  I'll bet they were inspired by this trailblazing cat!  :D

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2012, 03:33:55 pm »
I LOVE that cat photo!!!

So übercool!!!!   ;D

I've seen it before, but this time I snatched it. Thanks for posting it again, Meryl!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2012, 03:54:38 pm »
Glad you liked it, Sonja!  I was glad to have another reason to post it.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

It's been a long time.

OK Go
"The Writing's on the Wall."

Official Video

http://time.com/2889557/ok-go-music-video-the-writings-on-the-wall/

Go Behind the Scenes of
OK Go’s New Video for
“The Writing’s On the Wall”

By Nolan Feeney
@NolanFeeney 
June 17, 2014

The band famous for its videos gets messy in this exclusive clip
http://time.com/2889557/ok-go-music-video-the-writings-on-the-wall/

The band OK Go has long been synonymous with music video events — ever since they unleashed their iconic treadmill clip in 2006, both their fans and late-night YouTube procrastinators have come to expect some combination of single-shot takes, coordinated dance routines, elaborate stop-motion animation and, occasionally, some cute animals.

Their latest visual offering, for “The Writing’s on the Wall” from this year’s Hungry Ghosts, is no exception. And with drummer Dan Konopka getting splashed by colorful, seemingly gravity-defying paint in one scene, you could say it’s technically one of their dirtiest music videos ever. In an exclusive behind-the-scenes video for TIME, Konopka and director Aaron Duffy show off the video shoot’s central paint-delivery apparatus and the many people making sure Konopka is adequately drenched in a timely fashion.

“We don’t view [music videos] as promotional materials for the ‘real’ thing, the song,” OK Go frontman Damian Kulash told TIME last year. “To us the song is the real thing when you’re listening to the song and the music video is the real thing when you’re watching the music video.”

"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2014, 10:30:25 am »
They really know how to make art fun!

Talk about TIMING re Gravity Waves! 'OK Go' boys release "UpsideDown&InsideOut"
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2016, 11:53:35 am »

As always, they are GAME!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUXafLUL5hs[/youtube]
Published on Feb 11, 2016
;D ;D ;D ;D
 8) 8) 8) 8)

"Camping Out"

AS PER USUAL, the crazy paranoid Music Chieftains have DECREED that the Youtube video of "Upside Down & Inside Out" be taken down.
(Really, Why? It'll will be back sooner than later.)

IN THE MEANWHILE, OK (and go) HERE (the video SHOULD work):  http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/11/ok-go-zero-g-music-video/

OK Go
flies in zero G for
its latest music video

Floating weightlessly is so much fun...
if you're not susceptible to motion sickness

Chicago-based band OK Go has released a fun and colorful music videoshot entirely inside a parabolic plane. Since a parabolic flight goes up and down like a wave, it induces periods of microgravity and hypergravity (1.8 times the strength of gravity). Space agencies have been using the technique for decades to train their astronauts before shipping them off to space.

While it looks like the band had lots of fun -- you can see them in the video floating weightlessly and doing acrobatics -- these flights are no joke. They can be so intense that NASA's first parabolic plane was dubbed the "Vomit Comet." OK Go joined forces with Russian carrier S7 Airlines to shoot the video, but you have a choice closer to home that's tried and tested by Stephen Hawking.

"Camping Out"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2016, 09:34:47 pm »
I saw this yesterday and got all excited. Almost notified you, but I figured if you hadn't seen it already you soon would.  :D

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2016, 10:01:58 pm »
I saw this yesterday and got all excited. Almost notified you, but I figured if you hadn't seen it already you soon would.  :D

Thanks, Katherine!
 ;D ;D ;D

(If one might rate everything in the helter skelter jackdaw jumble in the attic of my mind, from dross to the shiny, any new OK Go video is going to be one of the more happy making--CAW!)

"Camping Out"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2016, 10:04:34 pm »
(If one might rate everything in the helter skelter jackdaw jumble in the attic of my mind, from dross to the shiny, any new OK Go video is going to be one of the more happy making--CAW!)

:D Poetic!  :D

"Upside Down & Inside Out"

OK Go

https://www.facebook.com/okgo/videos/10153210535420683/

Upside down and inside out
and you can feel it.
and you can feel it, feel it.
Don't know where your eyes are
but they're not doin' what you said.
Don't know where your mind is baby
but you're better off without it.

Inside down and upside out
and you can feel it.
Don't stop.
Can't stop.
It's like an airplane goin' down.
I wish I had said the things you thought that I had said.
Gravity's just a habit that you're really sure you can't break.

So when you met the new you,
Were you scared?
Were you cold?
Were you kind?
Yeah when you met the new you,
did someone die inside?

Don't stop.
Can't stop.
It's like a freight train.
Don't stop.
Can't stop.
It's like an airplane goin' down.
Don't know where your eyes are
but they're not doin' what you said.
Don't know where your mind is baby
but you're better off without it.

Looks like it's time to decide.
Are you here?
Are you now?
Is this it?
All of those selves that you tried;
wasn't one of 'em good enough?

'cause you're upside down and inside out
and you can feel it.
Inside down and upside out
and you can feel it, feel it.

Don't stop.
Can't stop.
It's like a freight train.
Don't stop.
Can't stop
until you feel it goin' down.
I wish I had said the things you thought that I had said.
Gravity's just a habit that you're really sure you can't break.

And you can feel it
Don't stop
Can't stop
Until you feel it goin' down
And you can feel it
Don't stop
Can't stop
Until you feel it goin' down

"Camping Out"

OK Go

“There’s sort of like an unspoken thing creatively that we all know when we’ve gone too far and we like that.

When we go that far it feels like, ‘OK, that’s what we wanted to say, that’s from us.’ … We somehow need to reach a little bit further in order to feel like this is from us.”

--Bass guitarist Tim Nordwind

"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2016, 11:28:31 am »
How joyful!!  :D

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2016, 02:27:05 pm »

How joyful!!  :D

Thanks, Lee! Yes, that's them! And if you go to Facebook you see this note:

OK Go
Hello, Dear Ones. Please enjoy our new video for
"Upside Down & Inside Out".
A million thanks to S7 Airlines. #GravitysJustAHabit

Again, that's them!

:) 8)

« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 11:34:02 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »