Author Topic: Who Do You Think You Are?  (Read 10644 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Who Do You Think You Are?
« on: March 05, 2010, 10:48:28 pm »
Tonight I caught the first episode of this new show on NBC. The premise is that the show will trace the ancestry of seven celebrities, Susan Sarandon, Brooke Shields, Emmet Smith, Spike Lee, Lisa Kudrow, Matthew Broderick, and, first up, Sarah Jessica Parker.

Parker is East European Jewish on her father's side. Her mother's father's family came from Bavaria and settled in Cincinnati (I seem to remember reading somewhere that a lot of Germans did that in the nineteenth century). Essentially the program traced Parker's ancestors in her mother's mother's line. One ancestor left a pregnant wife in Ohio to join the California Gold Rush, got recorded in the 1850 census for California, and died there in December 1850. The family was then traced back to New England, from Connecticut back to Essex County, Massachusetts, where Parker's tenth great-grandmother was named one of three women in the last arrest warrant issued in the Salem witchcraft hysteria, in November 1692.

I found this all fascinating. This was why I majored in history in college and then did granduate work in the field. History isn't just dates and events, it's people's lives, and I find that fascinating. Many Americans have no clue about their families farther back than their grandparents. I feel fortunate that my dad had an uncle who researched the family, so that I know that my family has been in Pennsylvania since the 1740s.

The next subject is supposed to be Emmet Smith.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Who Do You Think You Are?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 11:02:16 pm »
Wow, Jeff, that is so weird.  I don't have cable, so I don't know about the show you're referring to, but I was just digging through some old videotapes (yes, videotapes) cause I was in the mood to watch Sex and the City tonight.  Watching Season 2 now.  SJP always fascinates me, loved her since "Footloose".  Anyway, that's a cool idea for a show.  Maybe you can tell us about the others as they come along?
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 12:40:12 pm »
Last week's episode, March 12, was quite moving. The show investigated the roots of the retired football star Emmitt Smith. Interestingly, as with Sarah Jessica Parker, the show ended up following a female line. The family of one of his ancestors, known as Prince Puryear, was found in the state of Alabama in the 1870 U.S. census, the first in which African Americans were counted as free people. The household included Prince's mother, Mariah, age 55, and the family was identified as Mulatto.

Puryear is a rather distinctive surname, and--not exactly a surprise--it turned out to have been the surname of the white family that had owned Mariah and her children before Emancipation. Genealogists traced the Puryear family to Virginia, where the earliest record of Mariah that was said to be found was a deed of 1826, when one Samuel Puryear deeded her--she would have been about 11 years old at the time--to his son Alexander Puryear--along with a horse and a bridle.  :(

I found this episode incredibly moving. Genealogists will tell you that African American genealogy is very difficult because before Emancipation there just aren't the records that white families left behind. Many years ago, the ground-breaking miniseries Roots, based on Alex Haley's book about his own family's history, was broadcast during my first semester in college. I subsequently read the book--but only once, and that a long time ago now, so my memories of it are kind of dim--but my memory is that Roots is essentially a novelization. I don't remember how much actual historical research, beyond family legends, Haley put into it, and I don't mean to discredit Haley's work. But for me this one hour on Emmitt Smith's family history was much more meaningful and moving than Roots because the story ended, starkly, with an actual legal record, the deed conveying Mariah from one Puryear to another.

Even more, since in that 1870 census the family was identified as Mulatto, it was clear that the family was not pure-blood African. Also, the Puryears had kept Mariah and her children--nothing was said about the father of her children--together, which was considered remarkable because Alexander Puryear was, as records showed, a slave trader. It was speculated, since the family was Mulatto, that Alexander Puryear kept Mariah and her children because Mariah may have been his half-sister. In other words, Alexander Puryear's father, Samuel Puryear, may also have been Mariah's father, and it was openly speculated that Mariah's birth was not the result of a consensual act.  :(

A few other interesting points. Mariah's oldest daughter was given the same name as Alexander Puryear's wife. Also, while I had been thinking, sadly, that Prince was a name for a horse, not for a human being ("the Artist" notwithstanding), it turned out that Prince Puryear's full name was actually Prince Albert Puryear, and it struck me as weirdly amusing that a slave woman in antebellum Alabama had named her eldest son for Queen Victoria's husband.

Finally, Emmitt Smith had some genetic tests done, and the results showed that genetically, he is 82% African, 11% European (the white Puryears, no doubt), and 7% Native American. The African genes trace back to present-day Benin, in an area of West Africa that was formerly known as the Slave Coast.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 02:10:00 pm »
NBC debuted the second season of this show this past Friday night (Feb. 4). The celebrity whose ancestry was researched was Vanessa Williams. (She grew up in Chappaqua, NY, where the Clintons now have a home. Who knew?) She had one ancestor, a free Black man, who enlisted in the Civil War a week after it was legal for Black men to enlist; he was paid a $300 bounty for enlisting, and he used $200 of it to buy property in Oyster Bay, NY. A photo of him was found in his pension file in the National Archives. She had another ancestor who served in the Tennessee legislature in the post-Civil War, pre-Jim Crow era.

The next subject, this week (Friday, Feb. 11), will be country singer/hunk Tim McGraw. That should also be interesting. It's already widely known that he grew up not knowing that his father was the late baseball player Tug McGraw.

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 11:43:00 pm »
Jeff, dear God, this actually makes me want to get cable for all I'm missing.

Tim McGraw?????  OH MI GAH.........  Loved him since forever.  Hottest man in country.

Tell me everything, please?
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 10:07:19 am »
Jeff, dear God, this actually makes me want to get cable for all I'm missing.

Tim McGraw?????  OH MI GAH.........  Loved him since forever.  Hottest man in country.

Tell me everything, please?

Yeah, and he's just gettin' hotter 'n' hotter as he gets more mature. Lookin' more and more like his late father, too. Tug may have denied him for 18 years but he could never do it today.

This show is on NBC. Can't you get NBC without cable?  ???

Anyway, as seems to happen frequently in this show, they essentially ended up tracing back through a female line, from a great-grandmother (Tim's Grandmother McGraw's mother). The line was traced back to the Clinch River valley region of southwestern Virginia, where one ancestor and two of his sons were killed by Cherokees in the summer of 1777. From there, again following a maternal line, they went back to the Shenandoah Valley (where another ancestor played host to 16-year-old George Washington in 1748) and the family of Yost Hite (Johann Jost Heydt), who was instrumental in the early settling of the Shenandoah Valley. Jost Heydt was among the first group of Germans to immigrate to the colony of New York in 1710. (Another family on the same ship went by the name of Pressli. Yes, those Pressleys. ...)

We also met Tim's uncle Hank, who doesn't look anything like a McGraw. In fact he looks like Buffalo Bill Cody, with a long, thin face, long white hair, droopy white mustache, and goatee.

This coming Friday the subject is Rosie O'Donnell.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 09:43:16 am »
Well, with advance publishing deadlines and all, this may not be correct, but according to the current TV Guide, Who Do You Think You Are? returns this Friday evening. The subject is Martin Sheen. Should be interesting.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 03:21:18 pm »
Some time agone, now, I heard that this show was not renewed. Too bad. It had an interesting way of bringing history to life through the genealogy of celebrities.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 09:36:45 am »
Some time agone, now, I heard that this show was not renewed. Too bad. It had an interesting way of bringing history to life through the genealogy of celebrities.

Who Do You Think You Are? has now returned on TLC. Last night's episode was about the ancestry of Cynthia Nixon (of Sex in the City fame), and it offered a fascinating look at the history of the way communities in the past dealt with spousal abuse.

Nixon had a 4x great-grandmother who killed her husband. With an ax. Between the eyes. In Missouri in 1842. The case was so notorious it made a newspaper in Jefferson City. From what we can read between the lines of the newspaper story (very chatty and gossipy), it seems it was notorious in the local community that the woman was being abused--badly abused--by her husband. On the morning of the murder, the husband told her to get up and give their children breakfast, and then to start saying her prayers, because she was going to die that day. He went back to sleep. She fed the kids, and then she took an ax to him. She then went to the neighbors and told them what she had done.

She was indicted and tried for murder--which would have carried the death penalty--but (I find this very interesting) the jury, which presumably was made up of local people who knew about the abuse, convicted her only of manslaughter, and she was sentenced only to five years in the state penitentiary.

She was only the second woman in the history of Missouri to be sent to the state pen, and her sentence was no picnic. Her experience was actually chronicled in a book written by a fellow prisoner after his release. Apparently she had what we would now call a work release, maybe in the warden's home (the show didn't indicate if the book specified), and during her incarceration she became pregnant--the book didn't say whether or not it was rape. The child, a girl, was born in the prison, and she had no female assistance at the time of the delivery--the woman in whose home she was working refused to assist her. The baby survived, but after the birth a petition signed by a number of prominent people in Missouri was sent to the governor, and she was pardoned after serving two years of her sentence.

Next week's subject is Jesse Tyler Ferguson.

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 09:46:08 am »
Who Do You Think You Are? has now returned on TLC. Last night's episode was about the ancestry of Cynthia Nixon (of Sex in the City fame), and it offered a fascinating look at the history of the way communities in the past dealt with spousal abuse.

Nixon had a 4x great-grandmother who killed her husband. With an ax. Between the eyes. In Missouri in 1842. The case was so notorious it made a newspaper in Jefferson City. From what we can read between the lines of the newspaper story (very chatty and gossipy), it seems it was notorious in the local community that the woman was being abused--badly abused--by her husband. On the morning of the murder, the husband told her to get up and give their children breakfast, and then to start saying her prayers, because she was going to die that day. He went back to sleep. She fed the kids, and then she took an ax to him. She then went to the neighbors and told them what she had done.

She was indicted and tried for murder--which would have carried the death penalty--but (I find this very interesting) the jury, which presumably was made up of local people who knew about the abuse, convicted her only of manslaughter, and she was sentenced only to five years in the state penitentiary.

She was only the second woman in the history of Missouri to be sent to the state pen, and her sentence was no picnic. Her experience was actually chronicled in a book written by a fellow prisoner after his release. Apparently she had what we would now call a work release, maybe in the warden's home (the show didn't indicate if the book specified), and during her incarceration she became pregnant--the book didn't say whether or not it was rape. The child, a girl, was born in the prison, and she had no female assistance at the time of the delivery--the woman in whose home she was working refused to assist her. The baby survived, but after the birth a petition signed by a number of prominent people in Missouri was sent to the governor, and she was pardoned after serving two years of her sentence.

Next week's subject is Jesse Tyler Ferguson.

This is great stuff. I'm glad to see that the series is back.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 11:51:31 am »
Has anybody seen any of the "celebrity genealogy" programs with Henry Louis Gates on PBS?

I've only caught one episode, but I thought it was quite good. Rather than focus on one celebrity's ancestry, as was done on Who Do You Think You Are?, apparently Gates does several celebrities' ancestries per episode based on a theme. The episode I saw concerned the Jewish experience in American, and family histories explored were those of Carole King, Paul Rudnick, and Allen Dershowitz.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 01:35:48 pm »
I saw that one too, Jeff.  (BTW, that was not Paul Rudnick, it was Tony Kushner.)

As much as I like the concept, I found the show to be too much like reality TV.  Too silly, manipulative.  "Would you please turn the page now."  Ugh. Cue the tears.

Also, for example, Dershowitz asked "where did you find that?" referring to some document, and there was no answer given.  No comment on the research, etc. that would have made it more interesting, to me, at least.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 02:49:35 pm »
I saw that one too, Jeff.  (BTW, that was not Paul Rudnick, it was Tony Kushner.)

Thanks. I knew Paul Rudnick didn't sound right!  :laugh: I'm always confusing the two of them!  :laugh:

As much as I like the concept, I found the show to be too much like reality TV.  Too silly, manipulative.  "Would you please turn the page now."  Ugh. Cue the tears.

Well, this I disagree with, but let be, let be.

Also, for example, Dershowitz asked "where did you find that?" referring to some document, and there was no answer given.  No comment on the research, etc. that would have made it more interesting, to me, at least.

Interesting point. May be what comes of covering three subjects in a one-hour show? As much as I am aware of some people who didn't like Who Do You Think You Are? (e.g., "Who cares about a celebrity's genealogy?"), with only one subject to cover in each episode, that show did go more into the research and documentation.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 06:28:42 pm »
Well, this I disagree with, but let be, let be.

No problem.  I dislike pretty much all reality TV, but let be!

Interesting point. May be what comes of covering three subjects in a one-hour show? As much as I am aware of some people who didn't like Who Do You Think You Are? (e.g., "Who cares about a celebrity's genealogy?"), with only one subject to cover in each episode, that show did go more into the research and documentation.

OK, I never saw WDYTYA? but maybe I'd like it better. 

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 10:55:51 pm »
No problem.  I dislike pretty much all reality TV, but let be!

I do, too, and maybe because I never watch it is why I don't see the Gates program as "reality TV."  :laugh:

OK, I never saw WDYTYA? but maybe I'd like it better.  

Some of the previous posts on this thread would give you an idea of some of what I thought were the best episodes. But even I think it went downhill toward the end. Not enough interesting story and way too frequent commercials for Ancestry.com. But they did get into the documentation, e.g., the warrant to arrest Sarah Jessica Parker's 10th great-grandmother on a charge of witchcraft in Essex County, Massachusetts, in 1692.