Author Topic: Road side assistance  (Read 2628 times)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Road side assistance
« on: March 09, 2010, 02:47:58 am »
I was wondering if there are people here with experience from renting a car in US.
I've done it in the past, but it's always quite hard to know what the best deal is.
I'm looking for a car for my Wyoming trip this summer and my main question concerns road side assistance (in case my car breaks down in the outbacks of Wyoming O0).
I have rented severals cars in the past (with different companies), and always thought it was included, but then last summer when I used Budget (this was in Canada), I was asked if I wanted road side assistance. I said yes and ended up paying a daily fee for it. Does anyone know if Budget is an exception in that road side assistance isn't included in the price, or if I simply didn't have it the other times I rented a car.
I've browsed different websites, and concerning National, it seems as though you can pay an extra charge for something called "roadside plus". That at least seems to indicate that some kind of road side assistance is included in the price.

But in general, has anyone ever tried to find useful info on any of the car rentals websites? Absolutely impossible! >:(

If anyone any experience or advice, please share!

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Road side assistance
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 04:58:42 am »
I don't know, Monika, but I'm excited for your trip.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 09:54:17 am »
I don't get roadside assistance when renting a car and have never needed such assistance. Whenever I've had car problems, I was in my own car and was lucky to have a car-worthy companion beside me. I'm pretty sure you'll need to pay an extra rate for this assistance. Or you can buy this service through AAA--American Auto Association. I recommend Dollar, Budget, or Enterprise for renting a car. Yes, those web sites are really awful, aren't they? Keep in touch on your trip!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 11:03:28 am »
I always use Budget because they do not put an exorbitant hold on my credit card when I rent, like say, Hertz, who I hate.

I've never been asked if I want roadside assistance.  There is a big number on the key that you call if you have an accident or need roadside assistance.

I called it the other day because I thought I'd run out of gas.  They said the service guy would be an hour, so I decided to chance it to the gas station and I made it, luckily.   ::)

So I cancelled my service request.  I do not know if there would have been an additional charge if I had actually USED the roadside service, but I would think this is fair.

One pet peeve I have right now is that the rental companies are adding toll passes to the windshield of the car.  If your car has one, they will not take it back, and they seem to rarely have cars without these nowadays.  This is good if you're from out-of-town, have no cash, on an expense report or something.  But the catch is that there is a surcharge for the 'privilege' when you could pay cash.

For instance, on my last monthly rental, I had an additional $63 bill - $23 in tolls/legitimate - and $40 in surcharges/not-so-cool.

An additional problem with these is that even if you pay your toll in cash, sometimes the toll pass registers the charge anyway.  So if your car has one that you don't want to use, be sure to get receipts for your tolls, so you can prove you were charged twice (and surcharged) and straighten out the billing at the end of your trip.

>:(

On this last rental, I put their little box in the trunk under the spare tire.  I don't believe it's registering charges, but we'll see, I suppose.

Your mileage may vary...pun intended.   :)

:-\
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 11:40:25 am »
Good info, Lynne. Buffy, you won't encounter any toll roads in Texas or Wyoming...those cowboys wouldn't stand for that!! There is a toll road you could take around Denver if you wish, but if you avoid the rush hours, there's no need for it!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 11:49:24 am »
I always use Budget because they do not put an exorbitant hold on my credit card when I rent, like say, Hertz, who I hate.

Gosh, it's now been several years since I last rented a car, but I always used Budget and was satisfied with their service.

(How long has it been since I rented a car? I discovered last year that there is now a skyscraper where the Budget office I always used was located!  :laugh: )

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.