Author Topic: Who is a fan of Annie Proulx?  (Read 11309 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Who is a fan of Annie Proulx?
« on: September 13, 2006, 08:59:35 am »
I started this after a little discussion on another thread, where one of our users said she had gone to see Annie Proulx....and Annie said she is "trying to distance herself from Brokeback Mountain now".....

Firstly, I cannot understand anyone wanting to distance themselves from such a beautiful story, and secondly, i believe, that if it wasnt for Brokeback, she would not be as popular a personality, as she has become....

So I would like to know, who heard of her before Brokeback, and who is still a fan of hers for any other works.....so the question is....

Are you a fan of Annie Proulx only because she wrote Brokeback Mountain?

1.Yes

2.No

3.Became a fan after reading Brokeback, but like her other works as well

4.Became a fan, before she wrote Brokeback
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Katie77

Re: Who knew of or was a fan of, Annie Proulx?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 09:02:18 am »
I'm bloody useless.....i dont think i set that poll up properly, cause I dont know how to.....can someone fix it for me......please....

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 10:08:46 am »
Okay, I will be glad to set this up for you...
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Who is a fan of Annie Proulx?
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 10:11:30 am »
This is Katie77's poll. Katie, you just need to select "Create New Poll" rather than "Create New Topic." Take it away, Katie!!

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Who is a fan of Annie Proulx?
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 10:21:02 am »
I read one of her earliest works, Postcards, while recovering from surgery back in 1996. It is a haunting book, and quite depressing, since it is all about a farm family during the Depression. I was strangely hooked by her ultra-realistic way of portraying rural people, almost as if she was daring you to read the whole book. If I hadn't been stuck in bed, I probably wouldn't have finished it. But I'm so glad I did. I loved the two characters Loyal Blood, the protagonist, and his mother. And I can see the parallels to BBM.

I haven't finished The Shipping News, but I have read other short stories of Proulx's and of course I read BBM when it first came out in The New Yorker.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 10:25:48 am »
thanks mate, I really appreciate your help.....

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 10:40:35 am »
I took the liberty of merging the two Annie Proulx poll threads so all of the related thoughts will be together...hope that's OK??

I was introduced to Annie Proulx when a friend loaned me The Shipping News, which I liked quite a lot.  I tried to read Postcards, with the intention of participating in an on-line book club over at Dave Cullen, but I just couldn't get all the way through that one.  You're right, Lee, that there are parallels to "Brokeback Mountain" to be found there, however.  Maybe I can try it again at some point.

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Katie77

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 10:43:29 am »
Just in case you dont read the thread that i mucked up, i just wanted to say why i wanted to do this poll....

I was reading another thread, where one of our users went to see a personal appearance of Annie Proulx, and when Brokeback Mountain was mentioned to Annie, she said "that she would like to distance herself from Brokeback Mountain"......

I am really peeved by that, because I think she is probably only as popular as she is today because of Brokeback, and the publicity that came with the movie, and I think she should be still prepared to talk about it, especially to Brokies who go to her appearances.....

I just wanted to get some idea, how others on here felt, and whether they only heard of Annie because of Brokeback, and whether they are fans of hers or any of her other works....

moremojo

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 10:46:41 am »
I had to choose the first option, for the simple fact that I have yet to read anything else by Annie! (I bow my head in shame). I even have a copy of Close Range: Wyoming Stories that a friend generously gave me, but everytime I pick it up I end up rereading 'Brokeback Mountain'! One of these days, surely...

Offline Katie77

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 10:48:00 am »
I took the liberty of merging the two Annie Proulx poll threads so all of the related thoughts will be together...hope that's OK??

-Lynne

Gees, I cant seem to get anything right tonight....thanks Lynne, if i had know how to merge threads (dont tell me, im sure i wont absorb it now, its after midnight here in australia)...i wouldnt have written the thread under this one....

So far it looks like i am going to be out-voted...maybe cause I'm down here in Aussie that I hadnt heard of her before....