Author Topic: Any angostics?  (Read 5627 times)

Offline Mystic_lonewolf

• Don't Say Much
Any angostics?
« on: September 13, 2006, 08:43:40 pm »
I myself an a agnostic, I was originally Mormon, but i change it to agnostic since long time ago. i just feel that there's too many questions that can't be easily answered. so any agnostics out there too?
I'm allergic to bible thumpers.

injest

Re: Any angostics?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 10:11:56 pm »
*Jess raises her hand*

had a belly full of churches

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 01:18:35 am »
I'm agnostic. Though I haven't been to church much. You could say it's my family religon: my parents didn't attend church, my grandparents -- on either side! -- didn't attend church, or if they did they never mentioned it.

My mom was pretty active in the Unitarian church for a while, but that's different.

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 03:02:12 pm »
I guess I'd say I'm agnostic. My family tradition is in Buddhism and Taoism. I still believe in some of those traditions, like ancestor worship. I attended a Christian high school, and attempted at being a born again Xtian for a bit. But in the end, I had to reject it. I just figured that the Bible couldn't possible by "The Answer" if so many people could interpret it in so many different ways. If the text could be used to justify genocide and war, then it can't be the answer.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 04:03:39 pm »
I was an agnostic for most of my life, starting at about the age of 15.  I went from being an agnostic to being an atheist in the course of about a year.  The tsunami in Indonesia in late 2004 (was it that long ago already???) and then Hurricane Katrina last year struck the final blows.  I went from feeling very strongly that we can't possibly know whether or not there is a God to feeling very strongly that there can't possibly be a God - or at least a God in the Judeo-Christian/Muslim sense.  How's this:  I'm an atheist agnostic-sympathizer.
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 04:24:49 pm »
feeling very strongly that there can't possibly be a God - or at least a God in the Judeo-Christian/Muslim sense.  How's this:  I'm an atheist agnostic-sympathizer.

That would be me, too, if the "maybe there is a god" part of regular agnosticism means believing in the possibility of a god in the Judeo-Christian/Muslim sense. Sorry to whoever this might offend (though I would hope that anyone who takes offense easily about this subject wouldn't read this thread in the first place), but that image seems way too simple to me.

I've never for a second doubted that humans make their religions up, maybe not by consciously inventing them but by gradual shaping of stories through oral traditions. That's what humans do, and I can understand why: it's comforting to think that somebody is watching out for you like a parent and helping you along, that there's someone you can turn to in time of need, that there's somebody who in the end will punish evildoers and reward dogooders, and that if you survive a tsunami it's because "God was looking after you." So religion and the idea of god serves an important psychological purpose for people. Human concepts of god and heaven are often shaped by earthly frustrations, and by what humans already know and can see around them.

But IMO, there's no way people can have any idea about it.

The part of me that thinks there might be a god is more inclined to believe in a much more abstract god than that, a god that doesn't exercise much if any control over what happens on earth, doesn't choose sides, that t necessarily even create the earth.

What does that leave? Well, who knows? That's the whole point of agnosticism, to me. There's no way of knowing. But obviously there's a lot of things that we don't know. Even about simple scientific physical earthly things like biology and physics, let alone things that might exist on some other plane of reality altogether.

The analogy I always think of is teaching a cat to read. You could spend hours and hours, day after day, patiently going over the alphabet and showing the cat simple beginning reader books. And yet the cat will never learn to read. It's just outside of the cat's intellectual abilities. That's how I think humans are about god.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 08:53:12 am »
I can't even begin to describe the outburst after I informed the family that my husband and I would not be baptizing our daughter.  ::)

I can relate to this.  My stepmother, it would seem, is a born-again Catholic.  She was raised Catholic in a huge Italian family, but turned her back on the religion during her 30s and 40s.  As such, we never once went to mass or to church (my Dad is a Methodist, but really agnostic) the whole time I lived with them from age 13 to 22.  Nor did we ever once say grace at the table, or talk about prayer or anything else religious.  Then, our son was born five years ago, and when he was 8 weeks old, she was appalled to learn that we had not baptized him, nor did we have any intention of doing so.  She called us "selfish."  I guess that's what it's called when you refuse to go against everything you believe in your heart of hearts to be true to please one family member you never liked much, anyway.  So be it.

No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 09:21:28 am »
I'd say it was far more selfish to assume someone is baptizing their child. I am constantly baffled by how so many people think that everyone is just like them. I can't believe how naive they are. Often times during family get togethers I've heard members of my family say things like "well, they're not like us.." aka "don't believe in God" or "not Catholic". So what? Does that somehow make them less important or less of a person? I don't see the logic in a phrase like that.

Oh, I know.  Doesn't that drive you crazy?  What I've found most appalling is these "friends" of ours who we used to have over for dinner regularly but who would ask to say grace at *our* table.  The first time they did it, we were so flabbergasted (and didn't want to ruffle any feathers, the natural-born appeasers in us) that we just sort of mumbled that it was OK.  But I told Ed that the next time they came over and asked, I was going to politely say something like, "Actually, we would prefer it if you don't.  We don't believe the same things religiously as you do, and it makes us feel uncomfortable."  We had a big row over it, because even though he agreed with my feelings on the matter, he didn't think it was an important enough issue to start a fight over.  I beg to differ.  I think it's not only selfish, but mind-bogglingly arrogant to think that your belief system is the *only* one that matters and that everyone else is wrong.  I certainly don't treat them with that kind of disrespect, and it pisses me off to no end that they don't bother to return the favor.
No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 05:08:56 pm »
That is exactly how I feel. People treat me like *I* am a bad person because I am not religious. People scoff at me, gasp at me, shake their heads at me and even have the nerve to send me countless email forwards centered around religion and the importance of god, when I have specifically and politely requested that they not send them my way, anymore.

The thing that I wonder is if I were to send out some sort of email forward myself pushing and preaching *my* beliefs, I wonder how quickly I'd get people emailing me back or calling me because they're mad at the content of my email.

Never do I look down on a person for what they believe in, I never treat them like less of a person and I NEVER tell them they are wrong. I treat them with respect, but they seem to have trouble doing the same for me. What ever happened to "Love thy neighbor"? and "Treat people the way you want to be treated"? Does a neighbor only count as one if he/she believes the same as you?

It's all such a double standard.

I get those friggin' emails, too.  And from people who know how I feel about it.

I guess the cool thing about the Bible is you can turn the other cheek or take an eye for an eye - whatever fits your mood at the time.   ::)
No more beans!

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 03:54:04 am »
Yeah I'm angostic - I just love Ang Lee!
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great