Author Topic: Brokeback Weather Alert - Snowfall Coming to Higher Mountains  (Read 69236 times)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Brokeback Weather Alert - Snowfall Coming to Higher Mountains
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2006, 01:36:07 pm »
I must confess that last February / March when I was out shovelling snow, I kept thinking about Ennis doing the same thing outside the apartment over the laundromat.      I can imagine how cold and windy it must get in Riverton during the winter.

Must have been a long winter each year.  Probably not much work for a ranch hand in those months and cooped up in the Apartment with Alma.    You can imagine Ennis being outside pushing the snow around thinking about Jack and those hot summer nights on the mountain.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2006, 02:26:12 pm »
You can imagine Ennis being outside pushing the snow around thinking about Jack and those hot summer nights on the mountain.

Yeah, but from what we see, at those heights, a lot of those "hot summer nights" apparently weren't so hot--at least not meteorologically speaking.  ;)  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2006, 02:42:57 pm »
Yeah, but from what we see, at those heights, a lot of those "hot summer nights" apparently weren't so hot--at least not meteorologically speaking.  ;)  ;D

Come on Jeff!   you know I wasn't referring to the weather!    he he he!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2006, 04:35:29 pm »
Come on Jeff!   you know I wasn't referring to the weather!    he he he!

Who? Me?  ::)  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2006, 06:11:11 pm »
I don't think they have to do too much snow shoveling there in Riverton because the wind blows it away.  ::)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2006, 10:50:54 am »
My Ennis, weather-eyed, looked at the sky and then sent me this:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DENVER HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 12 PM MST THURSDAY. THE WINTER STORM WARNING HAS BEEN CANCELLED.

SNOW WILL QUICKLY DEVELOP EARLY THIS MORNING AND WILL BE HEAVY TODAY AND TONIGHT. TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 12 TO 20 INCHES CAN BE EXPECTED IN MOST LOCATIONS BEFORE THE SNOW DECREASES THURSDAY MORNING. AS MUCH AS 2 FEET OF SNOW WILL FALL IN THE SOUTHERN SUBURBS AND PALMER DIVIDE AREA.

NORTH WINDS INCREASING TO AROUND 25 MPH WITH FREQUENT GUSTS TO 35 MPH ESPECIALLY EAST OF I-25 WILL PRODUCE CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.

A BLIZZARD WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE OCCURRING OR IMMINENT. SUSTAINED WIND AND/OR FREQUENT WIND GUSTS OF 35 MPH OR HIGHER WILL COMBINE WITH CONSIDERABLE FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW TO PRODUCE WIDESPREAD VISIBILITIES BELOW ONE QUARTER OF A MILE. TRAVEL WILL BE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND IS DISCOURAGED IN THESE WHITEOUT CONDITIONS. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...HAVE A WINTER SURVIVAL KIT WITH YOU. IF YOU GET STRANDED...STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE AND WAIT FOR HELP TO ARRIVE.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2006, 10:58:38 am »
My Ennis, weather-eyed, looked at the sky and then sent me this:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DENVER HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 12 PM MST THURSDAY. THE WINTER STORM WARNING HAS BEEN CANCELLED.

SNOW WILL QUICKLY DEVELOP EARLY THIS MORNING AND WILL BE HEAVY TODAY AND TONIGHT. TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 12 TO 20 INCHES CAN BE EXPECTED IN MOST LOCATIONS BEFORE THE SNOW DECREASES THURSDAY MORNING. AS MUCH AS 2 FEET OF SNOW WILL FALL IN THE SOUTHERN SUBURBS AND PALMER DIVIDE AREA.

NORTH WINDS INCREASING TO AROUND 25 MPH WITH FREQUENT GUSTS TO 35 MPH ESPECIALLY EAST OF I-25 WILL PRODUCE CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.

A BLIZZARD WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE OCCURRING OR IMMINENT. SUSTAINED WIND AND/OR FREQUENT WIND GUSTS OF 35 MPH OR HIGHER WILL COMBINE WITH CONSIDERABLE FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW TO PRODUCE WIDESPREAD VISIBILITIES BELOW ONE QUARTER OF A MILE. TRAVEL WILL BE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND IS DISCOURAGED IN THESE WHITEOUT CONDITIONS. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...HAVE A WINTER SURVIVAL KIT WITH YOU. IF YOU GET STRANDED...STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE AND WAIT FOR HELP TO ARRIVE.

Ooo-eeee!  :o  Sounds like a good day to stay hunkered down at home with a good book. Or two. Or three. ...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2006, 11:33:19 am »
Too bad I was already at work when I got his message!!

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2006, 02:12:14 pm »
Blizzard? Sheeeeit. You in the city? Got a good place to camp out for the night if necessary? Tent? Bedroll? Whiskey? Elk? Cute cow-person of appropriate gender?

That might be part of the storm that came through yesterday down here. Dumped about a foot on us, thick, heavy, wet snow. But it didn't blow much, and it stopped by this morning. You must be getting extra upslope moisture from the East.

I hunkered down yesterday, avoided driving and wrapped presents instead. We lost power a couple times, which messed up the baking, but gave me an excuse to build a nice fire in the woodstove.

It's really beautiful here today.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2006, 02:51:30 pm »
Tent? No, but I have a credit card.
Bedroll? Ditto
Whiskey? Actually I have a bottle of Crown Royal in the trunk that is a Chrismas present that may not make it to its destination!
Person of etc. etc. Well, I've got my Ennis in the city and my Virginian in the country, so I'm all set!!

(As far as a fire in the woodstove, do you have a Jotul? I do and it works great, boils water too, but is no good for baking!)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 03:02:56 pm by Front-Ranger »