Author Topic: symbols that are different in the story vs the movie  (Read 14303 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: symbols that are different in the story vs the movie
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 05:58:56 pm »
Could'a been Scott. Or almost anything else. It was a terribly dissonate song whatever it was. Maybe one of those old Pentacostal dirges that his mother sang. To me, it sounded a little bit like "Midnight Rider."
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2006, 11:27:00 pm »
“Peanuts are not nuts, they are beans.” In the film, Junior literally ‘spills the beans’ in the grocery store; her mother does the same (figuratively) on Thanksgiving.

And it just struck me that coffee is made from beans.

"Texans don't drink coffee?"

"No more beans."
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 12:16:30 am »
My sense of fun must be pretty impoverished, because I could definitely see that being a "high-time supper" for me. Simple, wholesome taste, and filling. . . .the implication in this one instance is that the other boy's presence made this event "a high-time supper" for our respective heroes.

Ah, they should have had Fiorella's Jack Stack beans from Kansas City. Those are good enough that my mom has featured them at Christmas dinner more than once.  ;)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2006, 10:25:02 am »
Life, BBM, and BetterMost are all converging!! Here's proof: my account of the making of Bean Soup after meeting lauragigs:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=4302.msg88332#msg88332

And this weekend, my son was eating a bowl of it, and wondering why I suddenly rushed over and hugged him--it was because he was going "mmm-hmmm" just like Ennis with his can of beans in the movie!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 12:48:02 pm »
Are beans the symbol that is most different in the movie than in the book? I would have thought it would be something more visual, like pickup trucks or horses.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 01:31:07 pm »
Here is my plan for today. It's Friday, so I'm going to take some time off this afternoon to devote to BBM research (which of course I never do during normal working hours!  ::)).

I'm going to watch the movie, then read the story. I will look for differences and report back here afterward.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2006, 05:04:25 pm »
This sounds like an excellent equinox ectivity. I'll be standin by (even tho sleepin like a horse on my feet) for yr report!!

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2006, 05:51:06 pm »
Here is my plan for today. It's Friday, so I'm going to take some time off this afternoon to devote to BBM research (which of course I never do during normal working hours!  ::)).

I'm going to watch the movie, then read the story. I will look for differences and report back here afterward.

Ok, Katherine, we're waaaaaaaaaiting......... ;D

(I tried to think of other things that were clearly different, but I haven't found time to watch the movie in ages, and when I come up with things, I realize they were mentioned in the story. The full moon... well, there's the reference to "paw the white out of the moon." The coffee pot? The reference to traveling around the coffee pot looking for the handle. The wind? The first paragraph of the short story talks about the wind, and it's an ever-present part of life in Wyoming. Elk? Mentioned in the last argument. I guess the spit string isn't in the short story, so maybe that counts as a purely visual symbol, though my urges to discuss it as something considered icky by conventional standards, but simultaneously beautiful by being ephemeral and by connecting Jack and Ennis, is probably a bit overdone and is driven more by hormones than rationality. ;D )

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2006, 05:57:16 pm »
Sorry. I did watch the movie but when it was time to read the story, I got sidetracked yesterday, first by my kids and then by social events here. Now, I'm just about to go read it.

But you had to go and bring up the spit string. See, it's that kind of thing that ruins my ability to concentrate on reading these days.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2006, 11:34:30 am »
Sorry. I did watch the movie but when it was time to read the story, I got sidetracked yesterday, first by my kids and then by social events here. Now, I'm just about to go read it.

I'm always surprised about how hard it can be to read the story, especially after watching the movie. I mean, it's not a very long story. It's not the kind of time commitment that's necessary to read, say, The Lord of the Rings. It's possible to read it a dozen times in one day. But it's... it's a difficult emotional commitment, for me at least. I think I read the story maybe once during the six months after I watched the movie, and it felt so harsh, like it was under a light that was just too bright or something.

But you had to go and bring up the spit string. See, it's that kind of thing that ruins my ability to concentrate on reading these days.

See, it's been over a month since I've watched the movie, and I'm starting to obsess about things like spit strings. ;D You'll see me getting progressively naughtier and naughtier on these threads, until suddenly I get all melancholy again, and you'll know that either a) I'm PMSing, or b) I've just watched the movie again.