Author Topic: symbols that are different in the story vs the movie  (Read 14224 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: symbols that are different in the story vs the movie
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2008, 12:17:49 pm »
To join in the discussion about Jack and incompetence, I suggest you go here:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,8761.0.html

Thanks for unburying this thread, Amanda, dear friend!! I am having some high-time entertainment with AP and symbolism lately by reading the other stories in the collection that concludes with Brokeback Mountain. For one thing, 'member we wondered why spurs only appear a couple of times in the story? Well, there is an entire story about a pair of magical spurs in Close Range (and it's closely tied with BBM, since the town of Signnal appears in both). Though I'm still up in the air about the exact meaning of them. You're right that that's the way it should be: the meaning ultimately is up to the individual reader.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2008, 12:44:02 pm »

I just have a brief comment relating to the recent discussion of Jack’s incompetence.  My take on this is that, in every relationship, each partner has their own skills, i.e. one partner may be a more skilled cook whereas the physically stronger partner may take the garbage outside.  Here, we have Ennis shooting the elk (because of Jack’s “dumbass missing!”) and yet Jack brings his usual enthusiasm to make Ennis laugh with his “yee haw!” comment.  They quickly learned to live with one another and we can only assume that this easy comfort would have grown had it had the chance.

Hi Sandy,

I definitely agree with this too.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2008, 06:56:52 am »
atz, ok ok lololol!

I will say marginally skilled instead, like his creator did. [But there is no way around her other description>>> of Ennis as '...the self-hating Ennis Del Mar.']
This is becoming a really good discussion here, and I  will take discussion of  Jack's competence to the relevant thread....
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"