Author Topic: The Reason This Place Might Not For Me  (Read 14043 times)

TheStudDuck

The Reason This Place Might Not For Me
« on: April 03, 2006, 07:34:42 pm »
I talked about this in another thread... but I wanted to give it its own thread because I have a firm stand on this issue and I have a few things that I'd like everyone to hear -- especially since I was, in fact, personally attacked last week regarding something along the same lines only for everyone here to collectively act as hypocrites.

I've been the one who has been using the hidden feature... or one of them anyway... I think that there are a couple of more (at least one more)... it's me, I admit it.  I told everyone that I was sort of having a "me time" week and this feature allowed me to lurk without people hasselling me for still being here (and they actually did, by the way).

For all of you people that were filing complaints... I want to bring two things to your attention.

Number one, this is what's going on in our country today.  People are supporting our phones being wiretapped as a safety precaution.  We sacrifice freedom for security.  That's what you're doing.  I'm a registered user who has not caused any problems and yet, I still am not allowed to lurk without being seen because everyone here is paranoid.

And number two, if my suggesting that we have users in charge of the invites is "going off the deep end" (which I actually felt to be a personal attack, especially when everyone seemed like they were ganging up on me about it), then this is completely insane.

There is absolutely no more security with the hidden feature off.  You think there is, but there isn't.  If it were a troll, they could just create a screenname that seems friendly and lurk here and you wouldn't know the difference.  You wouldn't know until they start posting abusive threads.  Which is about the same thing that happens if you are hidden, no?  They're just here and it's not a problem until they start doing stuff that is a problem -- and you'll know who they are when they do it and then you can take action.

I just want everyone to realize how overly paranoid they are being with filing complaints and while I think Phillip is amazingly wonderful with handling this site, I think that this action to suit your comfort serves no merit and I will be protesting it by leaving this fine site.  I don't like living in a country that taps my phoneline to make sure I'm not a terrorist... and I don't like coming to a site that revokes my right to lurk so that they can feel better.

So April 5th will be my last day here if my hidden option is taken away... and to be honest with you, I had only planned to stay hidden for about a week.

Thanks,
David
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 03:44:37 am by TheStudDuck »

EnnisDelMar

Re: The Reason This Place Is Not For Me
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 07:40:21 pm »
Ok. Well I agree about trolls and how the lurking feature won't help them much at all, so there's no point in taking it away. However, I do not understand why you would leave if it does get taken away...

Why is everyone being so pissy suddenly? Anyone else ready to leave?

Offline two_bloody_shirts

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • First Kisses
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 07:46:38 pm »
I know I'm a relatively new "Tremblayan" but I feel I should make a comment on this.

I first read Phillip's entry before I saw this one.  My first impulse was that it's a drastic measure because I completely agree with you, David.  While I'm still a spring chicken when it comes to Brokeback forums, I have had considerable experience in other forums for several years.  I maintained an actor website for two years.  It does not matter if a member is hidden or not on forums if they plan to cause problems.

The only reason why someone is hiding on a forum is to read the entries with complete anonymity and privacy.  On my site and many of the forums I was involved in we prevented outsiders from reading entries by hiding all of the forums from public users.   

I should think the fear of trolls would be more limited here because frankly IMDb was not the most favored place for the caliber of people here.  IMDb is open for too many young users that have too much time on their hands and want to cause problems.  IMDb is a widely-known site.  This site, as of yet, is not.  I think everyone should sit back and relax, you have no reason to feel you are inevitably going to be under attack here. 

I hope this helps to ease fears.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 07:53:05 pm by two_bloody_shirts »
Love.  You have a problem with it?

~Grace~

Offline Spooky_Rabbit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jimmy
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 07:46:56 pm »
Molehill... Mountain

Molehill... Mountain

Ya know I love ya Ducky.........................   ;D
I know I shall meet you on that final day! Water Walkin' Jesus, take me away...

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 07:51:10 pm »
I agree that people are getting way out of hand if they are doing such a tihing.  Who has been reporting it?

The 'hidden' feature is a normal option on this type of board.  I've been on many boards that have the same thing.  If it were not for our own recent run-in with abusive idiots over on the IMDb boards, I probably would be using the feature at times myself.

It's nothing to be upset about and the other members of this site - not all are Trembley members - also use the option and may want to come look and see what we're about.

If people here on PT have been reporting this as a bad thing, I'm with stud in that that is a bit much.  We can't expect other members of this site to cowtow because of our own sensitivities.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 07:56:24 pm »
I sure would be sorry not to be able to converse w/u here, Stud Duck. I don't no why u would want to be hidden but better hidden than gone, I guess! Please don't leave us!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

TheStudDuck

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 07:58:40 pm »
I just wanted some "me time" -- that's all.  :'(

I just can't believe that this is such a problem for everyone that it has to be deactivated.  All of my liberal Tremblayan friends are acting like Republicans!

vkm91941

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 08:03:48 pm »
I have heard of NO reports on this subject.  I do know one of the moderators questions the meaning of hidden viewers but without any malice in mind.  I think everyone needs to take a deep breath and not make any hasty decisions here.  We are suffereing from a form of Post Traumatic Stress after the harrowing experinces of the last month on IMDb.

Act in haste and repent at leisure.  EVERYONE must remember that Bettermost while a wonderful forum which Phillip polices and controlls admirablly with the help of his moderators is still a public forum that anyone is free to join and participate in until their behavior causes that priviledge to be revoke. and remember CT is not the only board here...There are a lot of BetterMost Brokies here long before us.  We have no right to ask that these things be changed just for us and our paranoia.

There is no reason for anyone to be overly paranoid of troll concerns on this board.  That said However I have always shared David's opinion about a central person or person who are responsible for invitations issued to other IMDb users.  It should be someone with a significant IMDB history and with good skills of a smelling a rat.

If my opinion offends that was not my intention.  David take a deep breath and relax...you really don't want to leave do you?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 08:13:01 pm by vkm91941 »

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 08:06:31 pm »
I just wanted some "me time" -- that's all.  :'(

I just can't believe that this is such a problem for everyone that it has to be deactivated.  All of my liberal Tremblayan friends are acting like Republicans!

Just because I am confused as hell.....what does this have to do with politics?  If it is Phillips choice to remove the hidden feature then so be it.....who are we to complain to someone who has opened his doors to us when we were in need? 

Why would you want to be hidden anyway.....I guess I just don't understand what the point of it is....

Please no one take any offense by this for that is not my intention either....

TheStudDuck

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 08:11:54 pm »
He's only removing the hidden feature because so many people have complained about it... if people didn't complain, it would still be a feature... one that Phillip originally decided on.

What does it matter why I want to stay hidden?  I don't understand why people can't be hidden if they choose to be?  I like it as an option... I do... and I'm not going to just let people complain about something if there is no merit for their complaints.

And, no, I don't want to leave everyone here.  But I also don't want to be around a bunch of people that will attack me for one thing and then turn around and do the same thing... and I also don't want to be around a bunch of people that don't want me to be hidden so that they can keep an eye on me.

I just don't like that.  I'm sorry.  And I'm not going to let this feature be taken away from me without my expressing disapproval of it.