Author Topic: What do you think Heaven will be like?  (Read 21944 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
What do you think Heaven will be like?
« on: April 06, 2010, 11:57:08 pm »

What do you think Heaven will be like?

As far as Heaven goes, there are many more questions than answers: Will we all get our own mansions? Will we see our loved ones? Will our bodies look the way they did when we were 25? Will we even have bodies? The Bible, Koran and Torah leave much about the afterlife up in the air. That means many of us – including the 80% of Americans who say they believe in Heaven – must fill in the blanks ourselves.

In her new book, “Heaven: Our Enduring Fascination with the Afterlife,” Newsweek religion editor Lisa Miller gives it a go, investigating the different concepts of eternity held by the world’s most prominent religions and talking to religious scholars, pastors, monks and lay folk alike to get a better idea of what Heaven might be.

For some, it’s a place that “embodies the best of everything” and is full of “green, green pastures,” while for others it is simply “the home of God.”

Naturally, Miller doesn’t come to a neat conclusion about what to expect when our last breath arrives. But she does offer a lot of faith for thought in her thorough and intelligent look at life after death.

So, what do you think Heaven will be like? 

www.time.com
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: What do you think Heaven will be like?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 02:16:02 am »
Wow, Kerry...deep question.

I hope that anti-Christ discussion didn't give you the idea for it.   ::)

I'm one for going my own way...and my ideas change with the wind (thank you, Jack!).

I see heaven as existing here on earth, just as I believe hell is here on earth.

If there is an afterlife (which most of the time I doubt), I think it is likely a change of state of being, but I have no clue what that really means...another dimension in space and time perhaps?

I hope my loved ones who have passed are either at rest, finished, at peace, or enjoying a new and different life than the one they had here at this time and place.  But that's just a hope.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 08:49:27 am »
My suspicion is that "there is no Heaven" in the stereotypical sense of Pearly Gates and other such images out of the Book of Revelation. My suspicion is that when we die, That Which is Us is reunited to That Which is God. As for the continuation of any personal existence after death, I'm skeptical.

That said, my "idea of Heaven" would be to spend Eternity roaming the highways and by-ways of Wyoming in a dependable ol' pickup with one special man by my side--and maybe a good dog along with us.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 10:13:23 am »
I think heaven is for everybody what they wish it were - otherwise it wouldn't be heaven, eh?

One wants a mansion, a private jet and a stable full of fine race horses? - *zap* - Here ya go, friend.

Jeff wants WY + special man + pickup + dog - *zizzzing* -  done

Another one wants to fly in full angel attire, including harp 'n all? - *snap* - already fulfilled

The next strives for the Asian form of Nivana, eternal nothing in bliss (or whatever) - *subito* - you have it

Me? I have only one wish: to be reunited with all my loved ones.

Is there a heaven at all? I hope, and I rather think yes, but I'm far from being as certain as some people are.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 11:13:34 am »
Jeff wants WY + special man + pickup + dog - *zizzzing* -  done

Thanks, Sweetheart! From your lips to God's ears. ...  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 12:22:38 pm »
I will be sitting on a cloud in a white smock for all eternity, strumming a harp.

This sounds more like hell, to me!  :laugh:

I picked "other." My suspicion is that when you're dead, you're dead. But I don't know that for sure, obviously. If there is some kind of continued existence post death, I think it is far beyond our ability to imagine. But I highly doubt it comes in the form of heaven and/or hell -- that is, places where the good are rewarded with a blissful existence and the bad are punished with a torturous one. IMO, that's wishful (i.e., human) thinking.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 03:08:14 pm »
Hey Kerry! I saw your poll a couple of days ago, but I held off answering because I had to think about it carefully. Also, I tried to find a picture on the Internet of what I imagine Heaven to look like but I couldn't find anything.

God knows our hearts even better than we do, so I think Heaven will be different for each of us. God will create a Heaven for each of us that is perfect and it will have everything that makes us completely happy. And even though it will look different to each of us, we will all be there together enjoying each others' company.

Also, I don't think Heaven is located up in the sky, or on some distant planet on the other side of the universe. I think it is right here. I believe our world consists of many different dimentions and many different planes of thought and consciousness. I believe, when we die, we simply exist on a different plane. We can see things, touch things, hear things and interact with things we couldn't see or detect during our mortal lives inside our bodies.

Years ago there was this store in town called "World of Wisdom" and they sold these greeting cards with beautiful pictures on the front. Very new age looking. They had pictures of crystal castles and crystal fountains, glowing illuminated streets with purple-blue skies. That is kind of how I picture Heaven, at least for me. I wish I could find some pictures of those greeting cards but so far I haven't been able to locate any of them. Did you ever see the movie "Contact" with Jodie Foster? If so, do you remember the scene where she meets her deceased father on a tropical beach? The sky was purple - almost dark - with beautiful twinkling stars and an occassional comet shooting across the sky. The beach was glowing in a purple-blue light and so was the ocean. I always thought I would be very pleased if Heaven looked something like that. :)

And yes, I believe we will spend eternity not only with each other, but in the company of the Holy Trinity and the angels. :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Eternalsoul

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 04:03:18 pm »
I'm glad to meet people with similar beliefs to mind that doesn't belong to organized religion but your own perception. I used to be Catholic but I am agnostic now I guess. I'd like to think there's something more.

Anyways, I think heaven is a state of mind like a dream almost and here is why. I don't believe most cases of NDE (Near Death Experiences) but a documented case of Pam Reynolds has her doctors confused. Youtube "The Day I Died" and also watch "Through the Worm Hole Near Death". Pam Reynolds was clinically dead, eyes covered, blood drained, skull cut open, and brain worked on. She was able to recall conversations and also explain in detail what the tool they used on her head looked like when she never saw it. Scientists try to debunk this case and have theories and explanations but truth is, the doctors were there and the scientists weren't lol. In Through The Worm Hole, scientists try to explain that perhaps consciousness does survive death and that there is tiny "information" in the brain of our micro tubules that are smallest that disperse when we die which is why she might've been able to see. If this is true, then this information/mind/consicousness is basically our "soul" or "spirit" if you will. Our minds are so powerful we can create our own realities, perceptions, see what we see, dream, imagine, etc. That is why I say heaven is a state of mind and why heaven might be perceived as how we want it. That might explain why everyone has similar NDE (Near Death Experience) but DIFFERENT altogether.

I think in heaven it'll be peaceful, time won't exist so we can't get bored, and we can do probably whatever we want. To atheists, maybe you can go unconscious and sleep if you don't want to exist but I think you might change your mind if you see how great this place is.  We don't really have earthly needs. I can observe the past, I can explore the universe, see what's out there. I can be a creature if I want to but I want my memories. More importantly I can be with my loved ones forever. Christian "heaven" is not my liking because worshiping God for eternity, having chores, not remembering earth memories or loved ones sounds depressing to me. As well as reincarnating with not remembering.

I really don't like the idea of reincarnation and it confuses me. I don't see why you want to go back to earth if you could be happy and do whatever you want in heaven. If you want a "struggle" then you yourself can have one. I don't know why someone would want to forget themselves or loved ones. I don't like the idea of having 1000 different partners in the past life, parents, or children. I don't think it'd be "special" with that many.
I'm sad at the thought I don't know what my heaven would be like if my partner or parents decide to reincarnate and forget who I am... Doesn't that scare anyone else...thought of not remembering and losing your identity of what makes you special???

I just wanna be with loved ones forever and be happy. Not return to this crap place. If reincarnation to a cool alien like Avatar is possible i'd take it with only one exception..my memories and my identity...as well for my family and friends

Offline Eternalsoul

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 04:04:15 pm »
I don't think "Nothing" after death is scary either. As long as I live a long fufilling life.

P.S. What happens to the babies that die young? Do they stay babies in heaven?

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 11:38:42 pm »
I'm not a Christian so I don't believe in a 'heaven'.  I believe in an underworld and an afterlife.

I believe that if you're a great person and did great things your afterlife will be very vibrant and pleasant, very much like a living world.  The average person will have an average afterlife, less vibrant - after all, you're dead - less alive, but still nice enough.  Those who've done evil will be punished according to their crimes.  No punishment is forever though.

I don't know about the details, whether my pets will be there or loved ones, my path tells me that we're encouraged to forget because it won't matter anymore.