Author Topic: Betty White Delivers the Laughs on "SNL"  (Read 9447 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Betty White Delivers the Laughs on "SNL"
« on: May 10, 2010, 12:39:48 am »
Did anyone watch Saturday Night Live last night? Betty White was hysterical! It was the funniest SNL in years, imo. If you missed the show, or if you'd like to see some of it again, you can watch some video clips from the show by clicking on the link down at the bottom. :)

'Vulgar' Betty White Kills on 'SNL' Hosting Debut

Betty White found herself at the center of a rip-roaring round of applause during her first appearance on screen during the cold open on 'Saturday Night Live,' marking the successful viral campaign launched by Facebook fans that ultimately led to White getting the hosting gig. During her monologue, White -- decked out in a glittery top -- joked that she made her live TV debut in 1952 because they "didn't know how to tape things ... I don't know what this show's excuse is." Watch the monologue video below, and more videos after the jump!

"I really have to thank Facebook ... I didn't know what Facebook was, and now that I do know what it is, it sounds like a huge waste of time. I would never think that people on it are losers, but that's only because I'm polite," White joked during her monologue. She continued on Facebook, saying: "At my age, if i want to connect with old friends, I need a Ouija board. Facebook just sounds like a drag. In my day, seeing pictures of people's vacations was considered a punishment."

Kidding aside, White was nothing but thankful for the online push to get her on 'SNL,' declaring that she's "here tonight because you wanted me to be. I feel so loved, thank you."

It was clear that the 'SNL' writing staff knew what a momentous occasion this was for the show -- not to mention that there would likely be a big chunk of extra audience thanks to all of the hype -- and they brought their A-game when writing the skits, which generally delivered the funny from the show's open all the way to the credits.

White first appeared in a MacGruber sketch as -- you guessed it -- the incompetent gadget guy's grandmother. In true MacGruber fashion, White did nothing more than add to his inefficiency, distracting the mulletted wannabe-hero from diffusing a bomb.

Then it was on to the faux-radio shot 'Delicious Dish,' in which Betty White's muffin (see suggestive metaphor) was the topic of discussion. Don't get the entendre? "My muffin hasn't had a cherry since 1939" White declared while Molly Shannon and Ana Gasteyer chowed down on her "yeasty" and "crusty" muffins. Gawker dubbed the subversive skit as "an instant classic."

Many of White's jokes and skits played off of her age, as the majority of the punchlines were either of the variety of how she's the old gal in the room, or the she's-old-and-saying-shocking-sexual-things type. Still, the reception she got from the crowd, and the media, it seems. EW.com's headline champions White's appearance, declaring in the headline that she was "funny, vulgar and totally charming." The perfect trio for 'SNL,' no?

Even the New York Times declared that White's show "was one of the strongest outings of the season. With energy, enthusiasm and plain old laughs, Ms. White and the 'SNL' cast and crew (including an ensemble of recent alumnae) more than delivered on this much promoted episode's promise."

The Mother's Day show -- annually a showcase of the show's female talent both past and present -- featured appearances by many old faces. Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Maya Rudolph and others made their way back to the stage to celebrate.

To top it all off, the show's Digital Short featured the 'SNL' cast singing the 'Golden Girls' theme song 'Thank You for Being a Friend' as a tribute to White -- with the 'Golden Girl' herself chiming in herself with a screamy, punk rock version of the tune.

http://www.popeater.com/2010/05/08/betty-white-snl-saturday-night-live-videos/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl2|link1|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.popeater.com%2F2010%2F05%2F08%2Fbetty-white-snl-saturday-night-live-videos%2F

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Betty White Delivers the Laughs on "SNL"
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 12:43:37 pm »
I'm glad I remembered to watch on Saturday.  Betty was terrific.  Granted it was pretty much a one-joke outing (granny says bad words and talks about her muffin!), but her timing was perfect, and she had great charm.  We should all be that sharp at 88!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 12:55:23 pm »
IIRC, Jimmy Fallon had her on his show about a year ago.  She was sharp and hilarious then too... as good as SNL was, that show was better, even.  And the raves and level of audience applause made it clear that even the younger generation of 20-something and teen audiences just LOVE her.  It's great to see that kind of appreciation for such a classic talent.

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 01:10:47 pm »
Funniest (and filthiest!) SNL I've seen in a long time.

I was surprised they didn't continue the joke by having a musical guest more along the lines of Tony Bennett.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 02:28:44 am »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Sv_z9jm8A[/youtube]

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 02:34:01 am »
IIRC, Jimmy Fallon had her on his show about a year ago.  She was sharp and hilarious then too... as good as SNL was, that show was better, even.  And the raves and level of audience applause made it clear that even the younger generation of 20-something and teen audiences just LOVE her.  It's great to see that kind of appreciation for such a classic talent.

My Great nephew Eric (born in May 2001) loves Betty White. According to my niece, he didn't watch SNL the other night though. :laugh: :laugh:

You are right Laura, these youngsters really do love Betty White, even the 9 and 10 year olds apparently!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 09:08:55 pm »
Yay! Betty White joins my group! She was made an honorary Ranger today in Washington D.C. Said she always wanted to be a Ranger, but women weren't allowed to be rangers when she was starting out. And she got a Stetson!!

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/entertainment/25682537/detail.html
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 02:55:51 pm »

WIZARD  OF  ASSS!

:laugh:

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Happy 96th birthday to Betty White!
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 07:52:24 pm »
Happy 96th birthday to Betty White on January 17!   :-*
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 11:50:13 pm »
and she is still going and going and going!!!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!