Author Topic: INCREDIBLE "findingbrokeback" site  (Read 5153 times)

Offline whiteoutofthemoon

• Jr. Ranch Hand
INCREDIBLE "findingbrokeback" site
« on: September 18, 2006, 02:58:16 am »
I can't see that this was posted here before, but I'm sure many of you hardcore Brokies already know this, so thought I'd post for the casual passer-by, but I just came upon this site findingbrokeback.com, which was made by some devoted fans who went to Alberta, film stills in hand, and found the EXACT locations where certain scenes were filmed....I mean, right down to the exact spot were the characters stood, with matching pictures and everything.    I'm astounded at the dedication and care put into this.   I've pondered the idea of taking an Alberta vacation next summer, at the very least to just see the awesome mountains, but now with this guide, I'm sold!

Sincere thanks to the guys who put that together....
"They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.  Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the whiteoutofthemoon."

Offline TexRob

• Jr. Ranch Hand
INCREDIBLE "findingbrokeback" site
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 05:31:03 pm »
It's fantastic that somebody finally did that.  Anyone who goes on a Brokeback tour of Alberta in the future will want to know just where those sites are located.  Who know, maybe they'll put markers up one day.

moremojo

Re: INCREDIBLE "findingbrokeback" site
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 06:34:16 pm »
It's an absolutely magnificent site, a true labor of love, and indispensable resource to all admirers of this great work of art called Brokeback Mountain. Here's a direct clickable link to the website:

http://www.findingbrokeback.com/

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 11:50:09 pm »
I know!  Isn't this site amazing!?  I can spend hours just looking at all of the different locations and the pictures.  I can't wait to go back up to Alberta so I can finally get the right locations and now these guys have made it SOoooooo much easier!

If you get a chance sign their guestbook.  I know they appreciate it : )

I also contributed a tiny bit to the site.  I wrote a few paragraphs on camping in Kanasaskis - I believe it's in the travel tips section.

They put a lot of hard work into the site and finding all of the locations.  Truly dedicated brokies! : )
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 03:11:03 am »
Oh, I just love that site!  It's very useful for anyone planning a Brokeback trip.  They periodically update that site to keep it up to date.  I love their recent interview with the BBM location manager.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 02:05:40 pm »
I discovered today that this link isn't working.  Does anyone know if it is a temporary glitch, or has findingbrokeback.com disappeared permanently?
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 03:02:50 pm »
I discovered today that this link isn't working.  Does anyone know if it is a temporary glitch, or has findingbrokeback.com disappeared permanently?

Bruce, I just tried it and it's working fine!  Must've been temporary.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 03:16:40 pm »
Glad to hear it is working again.

This site is a great resource for Brokie fans.  I would hate to see it disappear...
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Scott6373

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 03:18:17 pm »
Glad to hear it is working again.

This site is a great resource for Brokie fans.  I would hate to see it disappear...

Yep seems to be fine now

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 05:54:13 pm »
Bruce emailed me about this link not working. I didn't realize it was here (or I had forgotten; maybe I did once). As I told him, it must have been at the precise moment that Barry was uploading something although I think he usually does that at night.

We've been adding things a little at a time since the June trip and the new downloadable PDF should be up by tomorrow, the 10th. That's the date that Barry's been pushing for. There are the new sites, of course; new photos, some up now and more that will be added as we go along; updated information and fun links of all kinds throughout; two new indexes (by location and by site), to make it easier to find things when you are out there, but they can also can be used to go quickly to a particular page on the site; mileage tables for Hwy 40 and 742; and new, more easily understandable maps (yea!). We have four or five new interviews, too, that will go up one at a time, and plans (interior layout and measurements, not the architectural plans like the Twist Ranch) for a couple more of the buildings that were used as filming sites. I've probably forgotten something...

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 01:55:52 pm »
Wow Wow Wow!!!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 05:33:12 pm »
Hey, you guys do a great job.  I had forgotten about findingbrokeback.com it and only recently checked it out again. Yep, I noticed you've added some new features.  I know it must take alot of work to get that information together. Looking forward to seeing your latest additions.