Author Topic: US/Canadian Health Advisory: Do Not Use "Spring Mix" Salad Products  (Read 14419 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: US/Canadian Health Advisory: Do Not Use "Spring Mix" Salad Products
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2006, 01:27:10 pm »
Sensationalisim and over alarming news in the press is something that has been widely studied across a variety of disciplines. This isn't something I'm making up for the sake of arguing.

I know it happens, and of course I don't think you're making it up, Natali. The stories you linked contain some good examples and explanations of how standard journalistic practices can skew people's ideas of the relative risks of things. Some can be changed (favoring alarming sources over reassuring sources) others really can't (running news about low but highly unusual risks disproportionately to news about high but everyday risks). As the author of one of the articles you posted writes, "Journalists are in the news business, not the education business or the health protection business."

Anyway, I myself just don't happen to find sensationalism a big problem in this particular case. Maybe it's in the eye of the beholder. If some batches of packaged spinach have contained E. coli, which causes illness that is unpleasant at best and can lead to organ damage or fatality at worst, and has in fact killed one person, I guess technically it is a life or death situation. As a consumer, I'm glad to know about it so I can choose to avoid spinach for a while (it's hard to find these days anyway, with the recall).

But the threat is not keeping me awake at night. I would feel perfectly comfortable with canned or frozen spinach. Frankly, I don't think I'd even be all that afraid of eating fresh spinach; I'm sure many people have done so and been just fine. Given the choice, though, I'll chose arugula for now.

So maybe we've just seen different reports or something. The ones I've seen have not seemed to blow the problem way out of proportion.

If the press did an extensive coverage about car accidents these days, with big pictures of people bleeding, dead bodies, dismembered and scattered everywhere and a big headlines saying: If you drive a car this is what will happen to you! I'm sure a lot of people would stop riding in cars, and less will die on the streets.

Yes, that's probably true. I'm not sure what your point is, though. If you're saying the way news is covered affects people's choices, I agree. More people die in cars than in planes, but people tend to be more scared of planes, partly because plane crashes get more publicity (also partly because of with the psychology of fear; people are more afraid of less familiar things, and of things they feel they can't control).

If you're saying the press should run this kind of report to raise awareness of car dangers, I don't agree. We occasionally do see reports of terrible car accidents, so we know they happen. But I don't think it's necessary to increase the number they run, or do special reports on the dangers of driving.

If you're saying that's what they're doing with spinach -- showing bodies or ill people and saying if you eat spinach this will happen to you -- I also don't agree. As I said, I haven't seen any reports that have been that sensationalistic. But again, maybe we've seen different things.

I hope I didn't sound too opinionated or arrogant. I apologize if I did.

Not at all! Just a simple difference of opinon.

Perhaps something more relevant, there are many cases of food poisoning in this country, and often they can send one to the hospital. The media is over-reacting and so is this country. If we let the FDA just do its job and learn that steamed spinach is perhaps the best way to eat it... things would be better off.

I don't understand your point, Giancarlo. The media constantly does stories about food poisoning and how to avoid it: how to cook hamburgers thoroughly, how to keep your kitchen counters sanitary, how to keep your food safe at picnics and so on.

What job are we supposed to let the FDA do? If it's recalling bags of spinach, why shouldn't the media report that? How are the reports interfering with that?

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2006, 02:14:45 pm »
Yes, that's probably true. I'm not sure what your point is, though. If you're saying the way news is covered affects people's choices, I agree.

What I'm saying is that it affects not just people's choices, but people's perception of what a real hazard is.

If you're saying the press should run this kind of report to raise awareness of car dangers, I don't agree. We occasionally do see reports of terrible car accidents, so we know they happen. But I don't think it's necessary to increase the number they run, or do special reports on the dangers of driving.

I didn't get my point across. What I was trying to say was that sometimes the amount of coverage of a risky event, is unrelated to the seriousness of the risks involved. Sometimes the press gives too much coverage to a problem that poses little or no risk to the population, and less coverage to something that is actually quite risky.  I think the spinach issue is an important one, and the press should tell the population not to buy certain brands. However, I don't think  it deserves that much coverage. They're causing panic, IMO. They should not make people believe that 114 cases in 21 states is a health disaster, because it is not.

This is a news piece about the spinach ordeal published by CNN. http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/09/19/food.safety.ap/index.html

What the press says:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Leafy vegetables are the second leading source of E. coli infections in the United States, behind ground beef, but the government relies primarily on voluntary safety steps by farmers and packagers to prevent outbreaks.

What the reader might understand: The government isn't doing shit to prevent e-coli. Is it true? There's no evidence of that in this particular story.

The press:

Federal officials have also raised concerns that the food supply is vulnerable to contamination by terrorists. Just before leaving office in December 2004, Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson said he worries "every single night" about a possible terror attack on the food supply.

"For the life of me, I cannot understand why the terrorists have not attacked our food supply because it is so easy to do," Thompson said.

FDA officials do not suspect terrorism in the latest outbreak.

??? Terrorism!? I know they are dismissing the terrorist statement, but the seed of fear is already planted in the head of some readers since the according to the source it is easy to attack the food supply! Really?

In recent years, the FDA has acknowledged problems involving the safety of produce, particularly with lettuce and spinach.

"In light of continuing outbreaks, it is clear more needs to be done," said Robert Brackett, director of the agency's Center for Food Safety and Applied Sciences.

The reader: Continuing outbreaks? So this isn't the only one! We aren't safe!

"When it comes to fresh fruit and vegetables, no one is in charge of food safety on the farm," Smith DeWaal said.
Jim Gorny, senior vice president of food safety and technology for the United Fresh Produce Association, said testing at produce plants would be burdensome and ineffective.

The reader: There's no solution!

What the CDC says:

Consumers can prevent E. coli O157:H7 infection by thoroughly cooking ground beef, avoiding unpasteurized milk, and washing hands carefully.
Because the organism lives in the intestines of healthy cattle, preventive measures on cattle farms and during meat processing are being investigated.

E. coli O157:H7 is one of hundreds of strains of the bacterium Escherichia coli. Although most strains are harmless and live in the intestines of healthy humans and animals, this strain produces a powerful toxin and can cause severe illness.

E. coli O157:H7 was first recognized as a cause of illness in 1982 during an outbreak of severe bloody diarrhea; the outbreak was traced to contaminated hamburgers. Since then, most infections have come from eating undercooked ground beef.

The combination of letters and numbers in the name of the bacterium refers to the specific markers found on its surface and distinguishes it from other types of E. coli.

How is E. coli O157:H7 spread?

The organism can be found on a small number of cattle farms and can live in the intestines of healthy cattle. Meat can become contaminated during slaughter, and organisms can be thoroughly mixed into beef when it is ground. Bacteria present on the cow's udders or on equipment may get into raw milk.

Eating meat, especially ground beef, that has not been cooked sufficiently to kill E. coli O157:H7 can cause infection. Contaminated meat looks and smells normal. Although the number of organisms required to cause disease is not known, it is suspected to be very small.

Among other known sources of infection are consumption of sprouts, lettuce, salami, unpasteurized milk and juice, and swimming in or drinking sewage-contaminated water.

Well, I hope you get my point. Anyway, I'm referring to the general practice of the press, not just the spinach issue. I think the news should just say: E-coli has been found in some pre packaged spinach. We advise you to avoid it or what ever. The give a factual explanation of what e-coli really is, instead of talking about terrorism and such.

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2006, 03:15:31 pm »
Natali, I guess you and I just read that story very differently.

To me, it's saying this: There's a health problem involving leafy vegetables. Right now, there are no government regulations specifically addressing it, and consumer groups are concerned. The government has called for government monitoring of production sites and has issued guidelines for producers. Consumer groups support the on-site monitoring plan because they feel producers won't follow the guidelines. Industry representatives say the on-site monitoring would be impractical, and better education of producers will solve the problem.

What's wrong with that? That just seems like classic consumer information story: here's the problem, here are the various responses proposed by government officials, consumer groups and industry representatives. If journalists never ran stories about problems in food production practices, our food would be a lot riskier than it is; think of Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle," which led to major reforms in the meat-packing industry.

Natali, the press seems to be in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation here. If there is a weakness in food safety regulations and the press didn't cover it, it would be criticized for ignoring a public health issue. But now the press is covering it, and being accused of being alarmist. Personally, I'm generally in favor of more information, not less.

I do agree that the mention of terrorism doesn't belong in the story. The story says it's not a factor in this case, so why bring it up at all? If the Health and Human Services secretary is that worried that the food supply is vulnerable to terrorist attack, it's a legitimate story, but it's a different story.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Leafy vegetables are the second leading source of E. coli infections in the United States,

A health problem has been associated with leafy vegetables

but the government relies primarily on voluntary safety steps by farmers and packagers to prevent outbreaks.

Right now, the problem is being dealt with through voluntary steps by producers.

Some consumer groups believe the government should do more to regulate farming and packaging, including the quality of water used for irrigation, the application of manure and sanitary facilities used by workers

"The safeguards are not in place to protect fruits and vegetables in the same way that they are for beef and poultry," said Caroline Smith DeWaal, food-safety director at the Center for Science in the Public Interest.

An official in a prominent consumer food-safety group thinks produce should be more tightly regulated, as meat is.

Foodborne illnesses in the United States cost about $7 billion annually, including medical expenses and productivity losses from missed work, according to estimates from the federal government.

Here is what the problem is currently costing.

The U.S. food supply is governed by a complex system administered by 15 agencies. Lawmakers in past years have introduced legislation to make one agency responsible for food safety.

One reason for the problem may be the complicated structure of the food-safety system. Some lawmakers think putting one agency in charge would help.

Federal officials have also raised concerns that the food supply is vulnerable to contamination by terrorists. Just before leaving office in December 2004, Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson said he worries "every single night" about a possible terror attack on the food supply.

"For the life of me, I cannot understand why the terrorists have not attacked our food supply because it is so easy to do," Thompson said.

FDA officials do not suspect terrorism in the latest outbreak.

As I said, this doesn't belong in this story.

In recent years, the FDA has acknowledged problems involving the safety of produce, particularly with lettuce and spinach.

"In light of continuing outbreaks, it is clear more needs to be done," said Robert Brackett, director of the agency's Center for Food Safety and Applied Sciences.

Brackett's comments were contained in a letter sent in November to California firms that grow, pack and ship lettuce. He noted that 19 known outbreaks of E. coli have come from fresh-cut lettuce or spinach since 1995.

The government has recognized the problem. An FDA official has contacted producers.

In March, the agency issued draft guidance for the safe production of fresh-cut fruits and vegetables. Last month, the agency issued what it called the Lettuce Safety Initiative. It calls for visits to farms and packing operations so staff can monitor potential trouble spots and offer recommendations on reducing food contamination.

The government has recommended safer production methods and on-site monitoring in hopes of reducing contamination.

But warning letters and guidance are not enough, the consumer groups say. They contend many producers never hear of the recommendations, and that means the level of food safety remains hazardous and deadly.

Consumer groups don't believe producers will follow the recommendations. They want tighter controls.

Jim Gorny, senior vice president of food safety and technology for the United Fresh Produce Association, said testing at produce plants would be burdensome and ineffective.

The producers say the on-site monitoring would be impractical.

Gorny said the produce industry met with Brackett after getting the FDA's letter. The producers came up with a four-part plan that revolves around outreach programs to farmers and packagers so that they know the best practices to avoid contamination. They also want more federal funding for research programs.

Instead, they propose teaching farmers and packagers better safety practices.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2006, 12:54:54 am »
Well here in Indiana they pulled all the spinach off the shelves and threw it out. We were one of the first states to get mixed up in this spinach deal. Now they are even thinking of throwing out the canned spinach. But regardless of the media or how overblown this whole deal may be, three people have died from it and hundreds of others have been sickened. So, obviously it is a very serious problem.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2006, 07:13:33 am »
Using the word spinach in this forum may expose you to danger.  :)

What is bizarre to me is that the government does not want you to eat spinach grown -anywhere- in the country until they say otherwise.  This despite the fact it is extremely likely the problem spinach was from a narrow area in California.  So now fields across the country with spinach ready to harvest are being plowed under because they can't bring the crop to market.

It's amazing mankind survived this long.

On the question of media, I have said for years that the news has been cancelled on cable news.  What replaces it is an endless supply of opinionated talk shows (Glenn Beck?  Please), sensational Hollywood entertainment news, missing pretty blonde white women, and freeway car chases.  Fox News is hopeless, MSNBC's "news" during the day is myopic at best, and CNN is barely hanging on.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2006, 08:00:34 am »
One last thing I want to comment about this issue. I'm not against the press covering health matters, like the tainted spinach issue. In fact, I think it's crucial that they inform the public about it, so we can be aware of what's going on. However, I also think it's important to keep in mind that the press sometimes gets overboard in their coverage of risks and hazards. So, relying on other sources besides the press is not a bad idea. For example, when you read about another outbreak that could pose a threat to your health, check out the CDC page, for example. They usually provide useful and less biased information than the press.

Some useful info from CDC:

E. coli From Fresh Spinach

Currently, we are advising consumers to not eat any fresh spinach or salad blends containing fresh spinach that are consumed raw.

E. coli O157:H7 in spinach can be killed by cooking at 160° Fahrenheit for 15 seconds. (Water boils at 212° Fahrenheit.) If spinach is cooked in a frying pan, and all parts do not reach 160° Fahrenheit, all bacteria may not be killed. If consumers choose to cook the spinach, they should not allow the raw spinach to contaminate other foods and food contact surfaces, and they should wash hands, utensils, and surfaces with hot, soapy water before and after handling the spinach.

Persons who develop diarrhea after consuming fresh spinach or salad blends containing fresh spinach are urged to visit their health care provider and ask that their stool specimen be tested for E. coli O157.

Persons who ate fresh spinach or salad blends and feel well do not need to see a health care provider.

http://www.cdc.gov/foodborne/ecolispinach/
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 11:24:09 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2006, 05:48:50 pm »
The topic has veered into media coverage of sensationalism, so I split the topic so that a brand new thread covering that aspect is now on the forum with all of your replies about that issue.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming