Author Topic: Euro What? The Most Famous Song Contest Americans Have Never Heard Of  (Read 9549 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
I've heard of it. I only wish we could watch it over here....

"It would help if the writer knew what he was writing about. Eastern European Funk is not even in the final. It was eliminated last Tuesday. It would have helped if he had mentioned the songs VOLARE, ERES TU, LOVE IS BLUE or the names Olivia Newton-John, Secret Garden, Nicki French, Dita Van Teese and many many more. 130 million will be watching this evening. And how many watched American Idol?"  - PopEater User Comment

"It's a shame that the writer displays - on behalf of Americans generally - such hutzpah and stunning ignorance of the rest of the world. The US is not the world, nor yet the only country in the world, and in sporting and cultural terms, simply a sideshow. The World Cup and the Eurovision Song Contest (which is, indeed, rather homely) enjoy audiences which turn American media moguls green with envy." - PopEater User Comment

Euro-what? The Most Famous Song Contest You've Never Heard Of

If you think next month's soccer World Cup is an obscure event mostly of interest to foreigners, that's nothing compared to the annual aneurysm that is today's 'Eurovision Song Contest.'

But those who are suffering from 'American Idol' withdrawal after Wednesday's finale might want to check it out.

'Eurovision' is like a kitschy 'European Idol' sung mostly, but not entirely, in English, and is one of those weird cultural happenings that is followed almost everywhere in the world except the USA.

First broadcast in 1950, 'Eurovision' was founded on the belief that music was one of two things that could unite a multi-lingual continent trying to find content for a new technology called television (the other being sports). Notable names who have won the contest include Swedish superstars Abba and the popular British groups Katrina and the Waves and Bucks Fizz. Britain's Cliff Richard came second in 1968, a surprise loss that 40 years later was attributed to direct intervention by Spain's then-dictator, General Franco.

Since there is no requirement that contestants come from the country they represent, there are sometimes Americans stirred into the mix, and in 1988, Celine Dion won on behalf of Switzerland. (At that time, the Canadian superstar was already famous in the French-speaking world.)

So what can you expect from this year's competition? Well, let's be honest: You need a high irony threshold to enjoy it. The cheese-factor is what makes it fun, from terrible takes on American musical forms like rap and swing, to the inevitable national costumes and dancing accordion players. If you're not the type to find joy in highly-produced bad musical TV, this might not be for you. (Think 'Glee' meets 'Borat.')

While there is a very slim chance 'Eurovision' might be carried on an ethnic-interest cable network in your area, it is generally only available in the US through its free online broadcast, which will be live today at 3PM EST.

The competition is always hosted by the country that won the previous year, and this year's Oslo production comes courtesy of Alexander Rybak, an impish singing violinist who took the title for Norway.

Bookmakers think that in 2010, Azerbaijan has the best chance of winning, with a pop-friendly tune called Drip-Drop. Second and third contenders, according to the betting odds, are a toe-tapper from Germany and a Julio Iglesias-esque ballad from Israel, which -- I know! -- is not even in Europe. (What can I say? You don't mess with the Zohan.)

My personal favorite is a catchy ditty from Lithuania called 'Eastern European Funk.' Its opening lyrics directly mock the eye-rolling quality of most 'Eurovision' entries: "You've seen it all before, we ain't got no taste, we're all a bore." But it quickly diverts into social commentary: "We've had it pretty tough, but that's OK, we like it rough ... we survived the Reds and two World Wars."

Which is pretty strong stuff for 'Eurovision'! (Did I mention it's an acquired taste?)

http://www.popeater.com/2010/05/29/eurovision-song-contest/

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
I`m currently watching it. Pretty entertaining, both due to some good performances and some really bad ones  :laugh:. The biggest TV event in the world, I believe.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
here´s last years winner. Alexander Ryback competing for Norway with the song Fairytale. He´s pretty easy on the eyes.

[youtube=425,350]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="
&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
It's a very big event here in Sweden. We have own competition first for several months try to find the artist/band that can represent Sweden in the BIG eurovision song contest.  

Offline Sophia

http://www.eurovision.tv/esctv

here you should be able to see it

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
They just arranged the world´s largest flash mob. Pretty cool. Good job Norway!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
We're also watching it. Off to see the voting precedere. My favorite part :laugh:.

It's a good feeling that so many EuroBrokies are watching the same at this very moment! :D

Offline Sophia

We are heading for the voting....

Experts favorites are Greece, Germany and Iceland

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator

It's a good feeling that so many EuroBrokies are watching the same at this very moment! :D
way cool!

Good luck Germany! I liked Lena

Offline Sophia

yeah the flash mob was very cool

Offline Sophia

Germany is doing well  :D

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
germany is in the lead!

Offline Sophia

Germany might take these HOME. I would be happy for them they have only won Once before

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
OMG. I can't believe this so far.
Half-time of the votings and Germany is in the lead.
Off to the living room again.

Offline Sophia

We have a WINNER Congratulations!!!! GERMANY!

Offline Sophia

Lenas Satellite number ONE

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
Herzlichen Glückwunsch Deutschland!

Winner Lena with the song "Satellite"- This is the song´s official video
&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Offline Sophia

what was the name of norweigan two guys singing during the paus/break?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Whoo-Hooo!

Who would have thought? The Germans are notorious losers at the Eurovision Song Contest, and not unjustified. But this time it's even a song that I like.

Well done, Lena!

Thanks for the congrats :D

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
And Lena performing onstage tonight. I really like it!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
what was the name of norweigan two guys singing during the paus/break?
don´t remember...

Offline Sophia

don´t remember...

Madcon and the song was glow

[youtube=425,350]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="
&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Offline fritzkep

I wasn't expecting to be home today (we were supposed to be at the cabin in West Virginia, but the weather didn't cooperate), so I forgot about the ESC until someone over in DCF reminded me. Came in about the middle. In previous years I had a thread over there to discuss the contest live, but unfortunately this year I didn't. Maybe next year, as we watch it from Germany!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."