Author Topic: Gay couple featured in article in AARP magazine  (Read 12333 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Gay couple featured in article in AARP magazine
« on: June 21, 2010, 01:28:01 pm »
Here's an odd little thing that I thought worth sharing.

Over lunch today I was reading an article in the July/August issue of AARP's magazine on living inexpensively when I was hauled up short by this sentence: "[Bruce] Ostyn, 59, and his longtime partner, Daniel Newman, 45, are prime examples of people who enjoy the good life while spending far less than their neighbors."

I have no idea whether this is any kind of "breakthrough" or not. I have virtually never read the magazine that AARP sends me, and I was only reading it today because I didn't have anything else to read while I was eating my lunch. In any case I am impressed by the casual matter-of-factness of including this couple in this article.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Ellemeno

Re: Gay couple featured in article in AARP magazine
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 01:31:22 pm »
That *IS* awesome.  Matter-of-fact is the best.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 11:31:07 am »
Especially for a magazine aimed at a 50+ audience, that's great.

The main if only time I usually see gay couples referred to matter-of-factly in magazines -- outside of articles that are directly about being gay -- is in decorating articles. Stories about beautiful homes owned by gay couples have been routine for years on years in shelter mags. I think I may also have seen articles where the focus is on a child, and the child's parents are of the same sex but that's not the point of the story, and maybe stories about groups of people doing something or other, and the group is a mix of straight and gay folks.

BTW, AARP is the country's highest circulation magazine. That's not as impressive as it would be if people actively bought subscriptions rather than just memberships in the organization, but still.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 11:47:47 am »
Especially for a magazine aimed at a 50+ audience, that's great.

The main if only time I usually see gay couples referred to matter-of-factly in magazines -- outside of articles that are directly about being gay -- is in decorating articles. Stories about beautiful homes owned by gay couples have been routine for years on years in shelter mags.

The "Home" section of the Friday morning Philadelphia Inquirer usually has a feature article on somebody's home or garden. Occasionally the home or garden being "profiled" will belong to a gay couple. It really surprised me the first time I saw one of those articles featuring a gay couple. Somehow this being in a daily newspaper strikes me as being more impressive than an article in a shelter mag.

Funny thing, though. To the best of my recollection, in all the articles I've seen--and, granted, this isn't a weekly happening--only one home was owned by a lesbian couple. All the others were owned by gay male couples.  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 11:57:48 am »
Somehow this being in a daily newspaper strikes me as being more impressive than an article in a shelter mag.

Yes, I think newspapers lagged behind magazines in this.

Funny thing, though. To the best of my recollection, in all the articles I've seen--and, granted, this isn't a weekly happening--only one home was owned by a lesbian couple. All the others were owned by gay male couples.  ???

Same here! I've seen maybe one or two articles featuring lesbian couples, and countless articles with gay male couples.

Not to get all stereotypical here, but maybe gay men are more likely to have connections in the decorating biz? Either they're decorators themselves, or work in some associated creative industry. I'm not sure how magazines and newspapers find homes to feature in those articles, but I'm sure they often get tips from people in the business. Many of the couples in those articles, straight or gay, are decorators, architects, or something similar.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 12:19:17 pm »
Same here! I've seen maybe one or two articles featuring lesbian couples, and countless articles with gay male couples.

Not to get all stereotypical here, but maybe gay men are more likely to have connections in the decorating biz? Either they're decorators themselves, or work in some associated creative industry. I'm not sure how magazines and newspapers find homes to feature in those articles, but I'm sure they often get tips from people in the business. Many of the couples in those articles, straight or gay, are decorators, architects, or something similar.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if you're correct about this, having connections in the business, or working in it themselves. I guess it also goes to confirm the idea that there is some truth behind every stereotype.

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 01:28:37 pm »
That *IS* awesome.  Matter-of-fact is the best.

Agreed. This is yet another step in normalizing sexual minorities.

I'm glad to see that you agree that matter-of-fact is the best way to go. What I've been saying all along about the out & loud approach is that it is not as effective.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 03:20:16 pm »
It has not been so unusual in Australia for a few years now. (I am not sure what AARP is) There is a great article in Melbourne's main city newspaper this week about our recently retired High court judge. It is leading up to a documentary on National television next weekend. MichaeL Kirby is a particular hero of mine. He is 5 years older but we grew up in the same suburb and went to the same schools and university. His younger brother (also a judge) was in my class. He is also an Anglican although we lived in neighbouring parishes. He was a judge on the highest court of the land when he came out publicly in 1999. Since retirement he has been speaking regularly on gay issues and was not reticent even while still a judge.
http://www.theage.com.au/national/love-and-the-judge-20100619-yo2r.html

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 03:28:40 pm »
(I am not sure what AARP is.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AARP

It appears the organization is now known by what used to be just its initials. In the U.S., you hear from them first just before you turn age 50.  ;D

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 08:35:18 pm »
It has not been so unusual in Australia for a few years now. (I am not sure what AARP is)

The letters stand for "American Association of Retired People."  That 'retired' part is interpreted a bit loosely: the minimum age to join is 50.

The dues are very reasonable -- $16 for a couple -- and this came out the same week i've been intending to send in our renewal. That's a check I'll be glad to write this year.