Author Topic: A weird Brokie  (Read 9402 times)

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: A weird Brokie
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 02:31:38 pm »
K, I think that I would have nearly pissed myself in shock to run into another non-Bettermost/Brokie person out in the real world, so I do agree that you handled yourself real well.  That just does NOT happen in everyday life, so please, I hope you take this opportunity to make a friend of her.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 03:22:13 pm »
Definitely Movie Ennis and Story Ennis are different... we had a significant amount of debate about "the real Ennis" back in 2006 on DC and the fact that movie Ennis appears taciturn and almost wordless, when story Ennis is just as chatty as Jack, and in fact in the motel scene his declarations of "Little Darlin" and " I like doin it with women but ..." and "I sure wrang it out a hundred times thinkin a you."  Can you see Movie Ennis saying "I sure wrang it out a hundred times thinkin a you" ??  And it was a definite Ang Lee deliberation that took out "Little Darlin".  The two characters are quite different, and story Ennis is far more garrulous.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 09:51:47 pm »
What's the latest?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 10:35:30 pm »
What's the latest?

Nothin -- thanks for asking, though. The class is tomorrow night. Still trying to think whether to lend her my STS or just forget about it. I'm inclined to do the latter, partly because she might take it the wrong way, but more importantly -- what if she didn't return it?  :o

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 10:40:31 pm »
Nothin -- thanks for asking, though. The class is tomorrow night. Still trying to think whether to lend her my STS or just forget about it. I'm inclined to do the latter, partly because she might take it the wrong way, but more importantly -- what if she didn't return it?  :o

Don't worry. I'm sure there are plenty of copies still floating around.  ;D

Which reminds me that when I was visiting my dad for Father's Day, I saw a copy of the DVD on the discount DVD rack at the supermarket where my dad shops.  :-\

Seriously, I wouldn't lend her my copy, either.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 10:43:37 pm »

I think you should totally try to talk to her about it at least.  It could be super fun!  She clearly must like BBM or she wouldn't have brought it up.  Maybe she's been a "frustrated Brokie" for a while pent up with Brokie fever and no one to talk to.  I bet she would be amazed by your Brokie stories and wisdom of 4 years discussing BBM.

LOL, I understand your hesitation about lending the STS book!  I'd worry about that too.  But, maybe you could bring it and just show it to her.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 10:45:19 pm »

, I saw a copy of the DVD on the discount DVD rack at the supermarket where my dad shops.  :-\

I haven´t see that yet, and I hope I won´t. I don´t like the idea of it. O0

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 08:12:43 am »
If I were you, I would definitely make the effort, K.

But geez louise, don't give away any precious Brokie goods until you're sure.
   :o
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 08:57:41 am »
I saw a copy of the DVD on the discount DVD rack at the supermarket where my dad shops.  :-\

I haven´t see that yet, and I hope I won´t. I don´t like the idea of it. O0

It was kind of sad. It was surprising, too. Not so much that it was on a discount rack, but that it was right out there in a supermarket in the town where I grew up.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2010, 10:39:37 am »
It was surprising, too. Not so much that it was on a discount rack, but that it was right out there in a supermarket in the town where I grew up.

I think it's alright, because it's "right out there".  No one thought twice about displaying it and it's right up with the other films and available to people who might not be able to spend a lot (maybe including a real-life Ennis.)

Widespread distribution and availability is good!  It can still circulate in the public consciousness, where it belongs!

(In some supermarkets where I live, they cover the issues of Cosmo.  Not BBM though!)