Author Topic: How old do you think Cassie is?  (Read 6970 times)

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
How old do you think Cassie is?
« on: July 05, 2010, 04:19:47 pm »
I was wondering the other day of how much older than Cassie Ennis might be and what possible implications this age gap might have. When Ennis first meets her he is about 35.

It's a difficult question to answer with any certainty as we have little information about Cassie to go on. The screen play suggests "mid twenties", but, if that's the case, then for me she's at the earlier end of mid twenties, say 23 or 24, rather than at the later end. I say that because there seems to me to be a certain youthful naivete about her, as when she tries to establish a form of physical intimacy between the two of them when she asks for a foot rub from him. Clearly she has a lot of youthful energy about her. Even though she just finished her shift, she is keen to get dancing.

She is also young enough to want more from life than just being a waitress in a bar. The only indication we get is not from Cassie herself but from Ennis who tells Jack that Cassie "waitresses part-time, wants to go to nursing school". At least, that is how PSP (Published Screen Play) reads but this is one of the few points where FC (Final Cut) diverges from PSP. In FC Ennis says "Wants to go to nursing school - or somethin'". Those two little words are added, I think, not to suggest confusion on Cassie's part as to what she would like to do in the future but to suggest Ennis's complete indifference to what Cassie has been telling him about her plans or dreams.  He can't even remember clearly what she has told him. Was it nursing school she kept talking about? Or something else? Clearly Ennis hasn't even been listening to what she has to say. It's a small addition but, in its way, a very telling one. Whether this was done by Heath or Diana Ossama, who was on the set for much of the time, I've no idea.

The age gap between the two of them then could be around ten to twelve years and, while not impossible to bridge, might have had an impact on the dynamics of their relationship.

So how old do people here think Cassie is and would any differences in age between Ennis and herself have had any effect on their relationship?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 10:31:16 pm by chowhound »

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: How old do you think Cassie is?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 05:51:41 pm »
Hi, Chowhound.  Very thought provoking (and fun) question.  I agree with you when you say that Ennis' vague comments about Cassie wanting to go to nursing school speaks to his indifference about their relationship.  I think Cassie was little more than a beard, and as such, she meant little to him.  I'm not saying he hated her or anything, but he was not serious about her by any means.

Having said that, I believe Cassie's age to be 25-28.  As they say, "age is just a number," and as a woman who was once in a serious relationship with a man 25 years my senior, I can tell you that if there is love, age does not make much of a difference.  I don't think Ennis would have been serious about Cassie if she were his age.  Ennis loved Jack, and Jack exclusively, IMHO.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 06:34:11 pm »
I would say 23 to 28. I also think she has been married once before and her x-husband is in prison.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 07:15:32 pm »

I agree with the suggestions that she seems to be in her mid-20s, and yes, the suggestion that she's still planning further schooling plants the suggestion in the viewer/reader's head that she's still quite young with a lot of her life ahead of her.

And, I also agree that age is not the problem when it comes to her relationship with Ennis.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 08:21:39 pm »
I would say 23 to 28. I also think she has been married once before and her x-husband is in prison.

I, too, get the feeling that Cassie was either married before or in a serious relationship that went south.

Her ex-husband in prison? Hmmmm... :laugh:

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 10:16:03 pm »

Truman, what in the HELL are ya talking 'bout here?
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 12:35:28 am »
She is also young enough to want more from life than just being a waitress in a bar. The only indication we get is not from Cassie herself but from Ennis who tells Jack that Cassie "waitresses part-time, wants to go to nursing school". At least, that is how PSP (Published Screen Play) reads but this is one of the few points where FC (Final Cut) diverges from PSP. In FC Ennis says "Wants to go to nursing school - or somethin'". Those two little words are added, I think, not to suggest confusion on Cassie's part as to what she would like to do in the future but to suggest Ennis's complete indifference to what Cassie has been telling him about her plans or dreams.  He can't even remember clearly what she has told him. Was it nursing school she kept talking about? Or something else? Clearly Ennis hasn't even been listening to what she has to say. It's a small addition but, in its way, a very telling one. Whether this was done by Heath or Diana Ossama, who was on the set for much of the time, I've no idea.

I agree that those two words "or somethin" carries significance. Besides from showing us Ennis´ lack of interest in Cassie, it might also be a way for him to assure Jack that his relationship with Cassie doesn´t mean much to him. An indirect way of saying I like you best

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 12:38:04 am »

She does strike me as the type who marries young. :)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 12:42:56 am »
, I believe Cassie is solely a masturbatory diversion for Ennis; his principal love interest remaining with Jack.

yes, and maybe she works as a sort of " straight alibi" too.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 03:07:54 am »
Good question. 

There's a desperation about her, IMO.  I think she's getting close to 30.  I don't think she would have seen the "aging" Ennis as such a catch if she was much younger than that.  And she calls him a drunk in her first conversation.

FWIW, in 2005, Linda Cardellini was 30.