Author Topic: New Story: The Runaway Deputy  (Read 115666 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: New Story: The Runaway Deputy
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2011, 06:10:46 pm »
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2011, 06:54:42 pm »
chapter 45, as promised, earlier than my last few efforts!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/355862.html
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2011, 12:30:17 am »
I did a bunch of clarification editing on many earlier chapters, and just posted Chapter 46!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/356108.html

Enjoy - gobble gobble!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2011, 03:11:25 am »

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2012, 06:07:26 pm »
  I am very happy that you are back in writing form again.  I have wondered what was going on with these guys?  It is amazing to me how you can pick this back up, and not miss a stitch.  I know that you have been spending a lot of time with them, since we have been out of the picture.  Just sayin. 
   I love that the story is now getting to the clearing up of the crap that has been going on.  I love that you are getting into that book.  It shows how much the minds of the prejudiced are hidden.  Even when they are trying to show that they are not in that group.  How far that they were, and are still willing to go, to achieve the ends that they are seeking. 
    It is like going back and meeting with old friends.  I still have a very familial feeling towards the characters in this story.  Thanks again..Jan

Beautiful mind

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2012, 01:06:00 am »
  I am very happy that you are back in writing form again.  I have wondered what was going on with these guys?  It is amazing to me how you can pick this back up, and not miss a stitch.  I know that you have been spending a lot of time with them, since we have been out of the picture.  Just sayin. 
   I love that the story is now getting to the clearing up of the crap that has been going on.  I love that you are getting into that book.  It shows how much the minds of the prejudiced are hidden.  Even when they are trying to show that they are not in that group.  How far that they were, and are still willing to go, to achieve the ends that they are seeking. 
    It is like going back and meeting with old friends.  I still have a very familial feeling towards the characters in this story.  Thanks again..Jan

Yes, the story is already written - it's just making the time to evoke it, so to speak.  And while there are details (Bridget vs. Natasha Johansson - I was going to go with Natasha at first in a sort of a "Boris and Natasha" Bullwinkle mode but I think that somewhere in my subconscious mind that would work against the character, she isn't supposed to be a cartoon and who of the Baby boomer era would NOT associate Natasha with Boris and Natasha Badunov?" - But the detail of the nationality and connotations of a name (or the date of a particular meeting) are very small details.  The plot remains in focus, it's been in focus since day one, once I decided that Ellery was not going to be killed off in chapter 9 of a novellla.  (Yes, that was Plan A.  I couldn't do it.)  But by the same token I could make him a romance happily-ever-after guy.  He's not that type of person: he's the widow's son, and that means suffering and striving.. and ultimately succeeding in spite of his own limitations.

Oh here I'm babbling!  thanks so much for continuing on reading.  As my life settles down with having a full time job and vacay time and my health gradually and slowly improves, it's getting easier to make time again.  Travel is great but plays havoc with my writing time outside of work.

Keep on reading!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2012, 11:44:24 am »
yes, the story is penultimately penultimate!

Latest chapters:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/361920.html  Chapter 50

http://louisev.livejournal.com/365915.html  Chapter 51

http://louisev.livejournal.com/366264.html  Chapter 52

If you have read "Tourmaline', either in the fan fic version or the original version, please hasten to Lulu.com and write a few words in review:

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/tourmaline/10988679?productTrackingContext=search_results/search_shelf/center/1

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2012, 05:58:48 am »

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2012, 07:30:23 am »
wow, I haven't posted any update notifications here for a while!  we're up to chapter 58!  The story marches on to its unexpected conclusion!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/368684.html  is the latest chapter!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2015, 06:46:29 pm »
not very new now... but there are new chapters posted.  I usually post first on Livejournal and then on Facebook, but I can start posting here again as well - because Bettermost was where I relocated the 'Saga' when I ran into static at that other big forum. ahem.

I am writing the final handful of chapters that will complete The Runaway Deputy, and in the 18 months or so in which I was on a hiatus while Ellery decided what he was going to do about the various and sundry threats to his career, his health, his friends and his relationship... Wayne ended up in the hospital with a story to tell, and I didn't know what he was going to say.  And so I waited, and I considered it... usually when a story hits a brick wall (the sequel to my novel "Princes of the East", which I was not posting anywhere while I was writing it back in 1997-1998, had a similar problem, and I ended up writing, and then cutting out 50,000 words when I realized that if one particular event which included an assault on one of the main character's tutors were successful, that the character would reach a dead end and die and I have just ruined my book.  So I had to go back and excise that entire story line.

Hard to do when there are readers who have already internalized the plot, so I had to keep my explorations internal until I was certain of where the plot had to go, and how.  And in that time period, distracted by three hospitalizations by my best friend (near misses) and two of my own (petty but time-consuming annoyances), and a lot of time spent on medical care, I dropped back to do research for the next book in the series which will be called "A War in Zion."

So I have posted new chapters 90 and 91 in the past week, and expect to have the remainder of the book drafted and posted in my louisev livejournal in the next short while (i.e. days or weeks.)

http://louisev.livejournal.com/384200.html  Chapter 90:  Ellery's first day as Acting Sheriff of Greenlea
http://louisev.livejournal.com/384432.html Chapter 91:   Wayne confesses the murder of Tom Sawyer

reminder: if you cannot see these entries, please ask to be friended.