Author Topic: James Franco as Allen Ginsberg in "Howl"  (Read 4531 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
James Franco as Allen Ginsberg in "Howl"
« on: July 14, 2010, 11:21:27 pm »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtfz1dpHS0I&feature[/youtube]

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/07/james_francos_allen_ginsberg_d.html

Howl Trailer:
James Franco’s Allen Ginsberg
Doesn’t Disappoint

By: Willa Paskin
7/14/10 at 10:15 PM

James Franco does a mean, understated impersonation of Allen Ginsberg in this excellently edited trailer for Howl,  a biopic of the poet centering around his most famous poem's obscenity trial. The trailer cuts between the trial—with Treat Williams and Mary Louise Parker on the stand, and Jon Hamm, in full Don Draper gear, as Ginsberg's lawyer—, black and white footage of Franco reciting "Howl" in a club, and color footage of Franco, with a very neat beard, giving on camera interviews. The whole thing really moves, and is polished and accomplished enough that by the time Franco is howling at a psychedelic sky, it seems like a cool, zany touch.

http://fireman.ilcannocchiale.it/?yy=2009&mm=6&p=3

CULTURA
8 giugno 2009
Franco nei panni di Ginsberg

Prime immagini ufficiali per la preparazione del file Howl  in cui James Franco interpreta Allen Ginsberg
 nella foto (a destra) con il suo amico Peter Orlovsky (a sinistra, interpretato da Aaron Tveit).
Segue la foto originale:

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
Re: James Franco as Allen Ginsberg in "Howl"
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 12:25:45 am »
That looks promising. Interesting subject, good cast.

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 01:12:07 pm »
I was lucky to see this in June.  It was the opening selection at the Provincetown International Film Festival.  Although skeptical of James Franco as Ginsberg, he really pulled it off.  It is a great impression--the voice, the mannerisms--and he can read the poem well.  Even his prettiness gets lost behind the horn-rimmed glasses.

Interesting to note that Ginsberg wasn't even at the obscenity trial; Ferlinghetti, the publisher, was the defendant. 

The filmmakers, known for documentaries such as The Times of Harvey Milk (this is their first narrative film), were present, and posed the question, "How do you turn a poem into a film?"

The black-and-white bits show the writing and early performance of the poem, and trial scenes and later interviews with Ginsberg are in color.  Most was edited from actual transcripts.  However, the animation that is interspersed was distracting, and IMO neither successful nor necessary. 

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 01:19:17 pm »
Very much looking forward to this one too.  :)
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 01:24:55 pm »
I read once that Franco was the great grandson of Gutzon Borglum who carved Mt. Rushmore, but I cannot verify that now so I don't know why I am even mentioning it.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 01:57:47 pm »
I watched Howl last night, it was wonderful and amazing. It made me have a bad dream later I think but that is okay.

James Franco was marvelous as Ginsberg. The whole idea that they had to go to court over the publication of the poem, the idea put forth that the uneducated, "average man" would be hurt by it somehow, the stuffy pretentiousness of some of the characters really hit home with the disclaimer at the beginning that the whole thing was taken from transcripts.

The animation severed well I thought, to fill up those spaces and illuminate the words of the poem being spoken. I first heard the poem read the night Ginsberg died, and remembered it was long but my gawd it is an epic! I will post the words here in a separate post, they should be read. Infact there appears to be videos of Ginsberg reading it, I will use those too.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vvzyPMa82I[/youtube]
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."