Author Topic: Favorite Jake Gyllenhaal Movie?  (Read 28342 times)

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "Youth is wasted on the young..."
Re: Favorite Jake Gyllenhaal Movie?
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2006, 09:50:27 am »
I voted Jarhead, but right after it is Highway, and right behind that Proof and Bubble Boy.
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!

Offline iheartBBM

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • Harold Ramis Forever
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2006, 03:53:31 am »
I voted for Donnie Darko, but I love him in October Sky as well
STRAIGHT but not NARROW

CHRISTIAN but not HOMOPHOBIC

:) :) :) :)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2006, 01:09:56 pm »
I've been working my way through Jake's movies so I can make an informed vote, and I need to gush a little bit about Donnie Darko. :)

Wow.

You know how Ang Lee said that he didn't need to audition 'the boys' because he knew their work?  I read somewhere that Heath's work in Monster's Ball is what clinched the Ennis role for him.  So I've been wonderirng which previous roles of Jake's resulted in Ang Lee trusting him with Jack?

It *has* to be Donnie Darko.  As I was watching this last night for the first time, I could not get over how much emotional range Jake puts into this movie.  The role itself is almost like a actor's proving ground.  Jake got a thorough workout here.  This is the first movie of his (and I liked Proof and loved Jarhead) where I could really see so much of what Jake brought to Jack - the joy, confusion, hurt, resignation...I'm completely blown away.

Compare Donnie's apology to Gretchen - 'I'm sorry about those guys' with Jack ministering to Ennis after the bloody nose if you don't believe me...

OK..gush over for now...
:P
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2006, 10:18:14 pm »
I picked "Jarhead".  I didn't really like the movie all that much but I sure did love the Santa dance. ;)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2006, 01:22:03 am »
I suppose this question is a little OT. Well, maybe not.

Didn't Jake play a very small part in the movie "Powder"? Did any of you all see that movie? I can't find it on DVD or VHS so I can't check, but I thought I saw him play the part of the son of the mother dying of cancer. The boy (Powder) came to visit her, and in the next scene, a guy who looks very much like Jake Gyllenhaal arrives. I really do think it was Jake. :-\

I should point out I did check over on IMDb and I didn't see him listed. But, the part was so small, they may have not included it in their list. They only show the son for something like 10 seconds. But, he really did look like Jake.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 01:25:15 am by David925 »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2006, 05:47:57 pm »
I can't answer your question, David...

But, Lynne, I am curious as to what films sparked Ang Lee's interest in the boys. I know The Station Agent was what made him choose Michelle and Anne auditioned for the part of Lureen and was chosen. I suppose Heath got it because of Monster's Ball (I mean, what else would it be? The Order?) but Jake had Donnie Darko, The Good Girl, October Sky, Bubble Boy (I hope that wasn't the winner), Lovely & Amazing, and Moonlight Mile under his belt before Brokeback began filming.

Jake and his films are my favourite subject, I wish there was some sort of Jake degree you could take, needless to say I would get an A* for sure! But really you don't want me to start talking about Jake films or I will never shut up.

Becky, you and me have this in common.  :)

~

Okay, I rented Moonlight Mile a few weeks ago and I really liked it. I wanted to mention it because Jake was excellent in it. (And he was just adorable in City Slickers.)
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2006, 12:11:52 am »
I choose "The Day After Tomorrow" because I haven't seen any of his other movies yet.

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2006, 11:05:22 am »
When I first saw "Day After Tomorrow" I thought it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen but in talking to friends about the improbablity of the entire movie, well, I haven't laughed so hard in quite a while. Computer-generated mutant wolves on the abandoned Russian ship?? But now I know, should the polar ice caps melt, I can outrun computer-generated mutant wolves and flood waters and if I'm from France I need my passport.

Best line in the movie is Jake's: "Look, look, look look, look. This storm is going to get bad. It's going to get really really bad."

:laugh: cc33

I really loved Jake's performance in "Jarhead" and liked the movie overall better than I thought I would. Usually Jake is a brooding emotional character and he really did an outstanding all-out performance in "Jarhead" (And I'm not just talking about his physique!) I loved "Donnie Darko" and "The Good Girl." Jake's character carried the whole plotline of "Moonlight Mile." I liked that movie, didn't love it. My next movie to rent is Proof.

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2006, 05:24:09 pm »
Good news for all Donnie and Jake fans alike. I was recently watching a list of 50 films to see before you die. I was happily watching and learning about all these films I had never heard of and noting the names etc. cause I don't want to have an unfulfilled life when I die! ::) But anyway it was coming up to 1 in the morning and I was getting tired so as I was about to switch off I was the words on screen:

Number 9:
Donnie Darko

I was so excited I started jumping, I don't know why, I think I was just tired. But anyway it was basically just saying great Donnie was and how well Jake played him. Yeah I must have quite a boring day cause this was my highlight. I of course thought Brokeback should have been in there, but I then realised that Brokeback is too new. I don't even remember what number 1 was, so it couldn't have been that great. But atleast Donnie was in the top 10. ;D
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2006, 04:20:04 am »
I've so far seen six of these movies, and I voted for The Good Girl - though not for Jake's acting, honestly.  More for plot, and most of the other actors - Jennifer Aniston, Tim What'sHisName What'sHisName (I'm sorry, I'm tired and lazy right now.  I keep thinking it's Charles Nelson Reilly, but I KNOW that's not it :) ), Zooey Deschanel.

For Jake's acting, I guess I would pick Donnie Darko.