Author Topic: Will humans forget how to talk?  (Read 2821 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Will humans forget how to talk?
« on: July 26, 2010, 08:49:15 am »
Reading Parade Magazine, which says that Stephen Hawking is getting a new computer voice. "'I am in touch with a company that hopes to replicate my voice,' Hawking, 68, says."

Says? Stephen Hawking says? I think he probably emailed the reply, don't you think? I'm seeing this all over, people "saying" things when they're actually writing them. No, typing them.

Why do we prefer our fingers over our voices?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Will humans forget how to talk?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 09:11:06 am »
Reading Parade Magazine, which says that Stephen Hawking is getting a new computer voice. "'I am in touch with a company that hopes to replicate my voice,' Hawking, 68, says."

Says? Stephen Hawking says? I think he probably emailed the reply, don't you think? I'm seeing this all over, people "saying" things when they're actually writing them. No, typing them.

Why do we prefer our fingers over our voices?

Have you listened to some people talk these days? Statements so full of ums and likes that you can get lost listening before they stop for breath.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 09:03:59 am »
You are undoubtedly right. The only time I've listened to people talk lately is during teleconferences at work. Engineers don't use um or like very often. I've enjoyed the occasional lunch with a friend, and my friends are unusually articulate. I am so blessed. But, when I work out and watch TV, I keep the sound off and I only listen to NPR on the radio. Not very many ums and likes there.

Where I have noticed those words cropping up is in print interviews. I noticed it very much in an interview with Maggie Gyllenhaal...so many "likes"!! People who use 'like' a lot are very ironic and referential, which I find very tiresome. Even my own children rarely use the word "like" as a filler.

The sad state of language has caused me to find refuge in old books. I'm currently enjoying Watership Down which is the story of rabbits with excellent language skills, and I'm also delighting in reading the witty exchanges between Watson and Holmes in the complete volumes of the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. And no, I haven't found Holmes to be a martial arts expert yet!!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 08:44:28 am »
Of course, thanks to e-mail and texting, an awful lot of people can no longer write a decent, correct, coherent English sentence, so can forgetting how to talk be far behind?  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 08:52:27 am »
I doubt humans will forget how to talk. Take for instance how important music and singing are to us. The sound of human voices are important to us.

I think it´s a good thing to remember what the purpose of language is; communication. As long as our language fullfills that purpose, I think we´re fine.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 04:13:38 pm »
I hope you are right, friend! When I crave the sound of another's voice, I will turn on my ipod. Maybe that will help.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 10:23:44 am »
Article in the WSJ this morning..."Sick of this text: Sorry I'm late". Substituting text for presence is indeed out of control among the young.