Author Topic: Jake'n'Anne Together Again: Love and Other Drugs (sure ain't Jack'n'Lureen!)  (Read 83278 times)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Btw Jake´s character was sometimes refered to as "Randall"only (it´s the characters´last name). Ouch! Every time that happened I was like: stop calling him that!
  :laugh: ::)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club

I´m gonna watch it again. Right now in fact. And at times use the freeze button.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
Btw Jake´s character was sometimes refered to as "Randall"only (it´s the characters´last name). Ouch! Every time that happened I was like: stop calling him that!
  :laugh: ::)

Good catch, Monika!  I didn't notice that.  ;D

Great review!
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Sandy and I saw this again (for me) a couple of weeks ago, and IMO it stood up to a repeat viewing.
I'm not so interested (ahem...) in my Jake-lust anymore, but I loved and appreciated Jake and Anne's chemistry even more the second go-round. I think I need a copy to keep handy to watch in the same way it's good to have cookies around when you want comfort food.

*Like* very much!!

(And thanks for the wonderful night, Sandy -- Italian food and good friend talk -- priceless!)

In the way of odd Brokie coincidences, Sandy took me to the Alewife subway stop.   (It's a fish.) Anyhow, as she was backing out, I noticed this giant oval Pfizer sign that *had* to be square in the rear-view mirror!

What did Lila say? "I don't believe in coincidences..."

:)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
FINALLY got this from the library today.  I've had it on reserve for months and months, but I'm apparently not the only Jake and Anne fans in my town. 

Will add my thoughts after I watch it one or two or three or four times tonight.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
FINALLY got this from the library today.  I've had it on reserve for months and months, but I'm apparently not the only Jake and Anne fans in my town. 

Will add my thoughts after I watch it one or two or three or four times tonight.

Awesome!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
I've finally seen this movie, on Isle of Wight last weekend.

My impressions:

Jake and Anne are great. Good chemistry between them, good acting. As for reminders of BBM I was reminded of Lureen exactly two times, one when Anne's character was on the phone, and once I heard Lureen's voice when Anne said something I've now forgotten. And there was one or two moments where I briefly saw Jack Twist in one of Jake's facial expressions. Other than that, it was hard to connect the two actors with BBM, I think.

The story is crap. Very predictable, very shallow, very Hollywood.

The viewing was very enjoyable, since my co-viewers all are hardcore Jakeaholics, and there was a lot of stopping the movie and going back and forth in slow motion while commenting on and drooling over various Gyllenhaalic undressed body parts....    ::) ;D :laugh:

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight

The viewing was very enjoyable, since my co-viewers all are hardcore Jakeaholics, and there was a lot of stopping the movie and going back and forth in slow motion while commenting on and drooling over various Gyllenhaalic undressed body parts....    ::) ;D :laugh:
you mean discussing and analyzing the movie in an objective and meaningful way, don´t you?

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
you mean discussing and analyzing the movie in an objective and meaningful way, don´t you?

well, that's one way of putting it....    ::)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
I only watched it once last night.  Maybe I had built it up too much in my mind, but I didn't like it much at all.  Jake and Anne's acting was fine, but everything else just kinda annoyed me.  Reminded me one heck of a lot of "Sweet November" with Keanu Reeves and Charlize Theron from many years back.  I won't list the things I didn't like, for fear of having to get into a point-by-point discussion/dispute with a team of Jake-a-holics, ha-ha.  I'll give it another go this weekend; perhaps it'll grow on me.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...