Author Topic: single for life  (Read 16324 times)

Offline tforster

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: single for life
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 09:47:27 pm »
I was single until I met my partner when I was 38. We've been very happy for 11 years and I hope that we have many more.

That being said, I was very happy when I was single, too - it was great to do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted... and I love to have alone time for reading, movies, work... or dancing in my underwear.

Vive la difference!
Tom

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 12:35:19 am »
Stripey, I'm a lifelong single, and though I have regrets from time to time, I think it's been the right choice for me.  There's a price to be paid either way, as you know.  You just need to make the choice that works best for you.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 05:55:51 am »
Stripey, I'm a lifelong single, and though I have regrets from time to time, I think it's been the right choice for me.  There's a price to be paid either way, as you know.  You just need to make the choice that works best for you.  :)
I would agree with Meryl. I have had one 18 month relationship in 66 years. I do not count the heterosexual "going out together" or even the 6 month engagement of an earlier time which I do now regard as wasted years. There are times when I wish it could be otherwise as just now when I am about to set off on 10 weeks travelling the world alone. I have never made it a conscious choice though, it just worked out that way. Perhaps I am too choosey. A number of years ago, after describing an encounter to a lifelong friend, he said "And what's wrong with this one?" which made me think  I may be searching for perfection which is of course impossible. However I have decided that is just the way I am and do not get depressed. But do not make a conscious decision not to be partnered at such an early age, you never know. On  the other hand don't try to invest every meeting  with an expectation that he may be the one.  Good luck. 

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 11:03:53 am »
Interesting topic, and lots of good and diverse replies.

I'm a 44-year-old hetero lady, was married for 6 years from age 23 to 29, plus we dated nonstop and were engaged for 4 years before that.  After my divorce, back when I was still cute and skinny and smart and funny, I went on a dating rampage -- not because I wanted to get married again, but because I wanted to see what I'd been missing out on, by being tied down during prime dating years.  It was bunches of fun getting to know so many cool guys, but then I settled down dating two married men concurrently and one single one who lived 4000 miles away.  Basically, I was making conscious choices to keep my single self here, free and clear.  I mean, a married man can't move in with you, and can't actually demand anything of you.  So I get to keep my house all to myself, do whatever I want, have company whenever I want, and for me, that's the best of all possible worlds.  I'll never get married again, that's for sure.  Being a wife just did not suit me.  So, that's my happy choice.

Good luck with finding what works best for you!
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 12:00:57 pm »
Hey Peter!

Great to see you around here again.

Like everyone has said, you should be comfortable with where you and who you are. No matter what society says, a partner won't complete you. At best, you complement one another.

I am in a relationship again - the first possibly serious one since my divorce circa 1996. It is good in many ways, but I think we both have trouble imagining living together or more. I think it would chafe a bit.

Be happy!
Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Sophia

• Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 02:08:32 pm »
your cat likes your soup? I have an older long haired siamese that loves cream of tomato.

Is that a cat date?  ;D

Offline Sophia

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 02:37:35 pm »
For me it hasn't always been a straight answer what I wanted it to be ( and in some ways I still don't know ). They way my live has been so far I have lived a single life with a few occasion were I have been in relationships. But I have always stayed by myself and that have given me a lot of freedom and independence which I enjoy very much.  :)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 03:03:37 pm »
Is that a cat date?  ;D
cat date? well no its a demanding siamese, she like tomato soup, so she gets some tomato soup from time to time.  :) :)

Offline Sophia

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 03:25:08 pm »
cat date? well no its a demanding siamese, she like tomato soup, so she gets some tomato soup from time to time.  :) :)

I hope she is not picky on the brand, as well.  :)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 04:00:06 pm »
I hope she is not picky on the brand, as well.  :)
not yet, I hide the generic can of tomato soup I buy at Sam's Club from her, so she is still convinced it is Campbell's or Knorr's.  ;)