Author Topic: A Celebration of Rich: Tributes  (Read 242393 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: A Celebration of Rich: Tributes
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 09:41:51 pm »
This one made me cry:  Rich and all the kids together for the twins' birthday. 

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 09:46:48 pm »
With his other baby boy:

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 09:47:33 pm »
This what I wrote to read at Rich's memorial service. I am sure it didn't go exactly this way, but ... for the record:

I have only known Richard about three years. I feel as if I knew him well, although most of our interaction was written correspondence until about a year ago.  

We became closer in the past year - and I came to love him -  and not just for himself.  You see, to get Rich, you have to understand his unwavering love and dedication for his daughter, for his partner, for the rest of his family, and for his friends.

Rich was one of those rare friends with whom you could disagree, and yet both walk away with your love and esteem for one another intact and with food for thought, better for having known one another and - well - "for having found a friend where you didn't expect one."

I could go on about Rich's generosity of spirit and his love for his fellow man - indeed all creatures - but the memory that will stay with me always is that I once asked a favor of him in particular to reach out to a friend of mine who needed Rich's counsel. Rich did not hesitate.

That alone tells me the kind of man he was - one who would concern himself with the well being of a stranger because someone asked it of him.

There is a verse the Quakers like that I feel speaks to Rich's life:

You have been shown what is good.
But what is required of you?
You should act justly
You should love mercy and
You should walk humbly.

--Micah 6:8

Rich was a good man and he will always be missed.

That said, though, his life - altogether too short - stands on its own as a testament about how we all should try to live.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 12:13:37 pm by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 09:53:02 pm »
The little boy, himself:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 10:55:54 pm »
Loving all the pictures, music, and memories.

Paul, I think that Metheny song is on the same album that has Spiritual, the song that inspired Annie Proulx when she was writing the dozy embrace part.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 11:31:31 pm »

I'm so glad you have found and posted the group shot, Chuck. What a lovely evening--after a great dinner at Bone Lick Park on Greenwich Avenue, just before some of us (including Rich!) headed over to the Stonewall, and some headed home (Jeff had to run to catch his train)--

We looked COLD! and we looked very, very happy. It was Valentine's Day 2009 (well, the weekend of ).

Rich was so tall!

Happy thoughts, sad thoughts, odd thoughts intermingled.

Me, I am not a 'believer,' and I do not even LIKE C.S. Lewis. Anyway, for whatever reason, though, this came unbidden--

“The settled happiness and security which we all desire, God withholds from us by the very nature of the world; but joy, pleasure, and merriment, He has scattered broadcast.  We are never safe, but we have plenty of fun, and some ecstasy.  It is not hard to see why.  The security we crave would teach us to rest our hearts in this world and oppose an obstacle to our return to God: a few moments of happy love, a landscape, a symphony, a merry meeting with our friends, a bathe (swim) or a football match, have no such tendency.  Our Father refreshes us on the journey with some pleasure inns, but will not encourage us to mistake them for home”

(C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain,  116).

Rest in peace, Rich Wilson, rest in peace.
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2010, 12:11:25 am »
Rich had a phenomenal memory, his Mom said he could remember conception.

Early on in our conversation he recalled going to a Zoo and riverboat in the time before his father came into his life. I knew the place, the Dan River Queen and Circle M Zoo, and in 2008 was able to take him back there. Here he is on the deck of the remains of the boat:
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2010, 11:26:37 am »
I remember the last time we all got together at Fairystone. Me and Rich were going to the airport in Gene's car, which he had broke the mirror on that morning in my driveway, and decided to pull a prank on Check and Paul and Lynne.

They did not know he had come up the night before, so I called Chuck and told him "I'm not sure Rich is going to make it, he can't find any gas in Atlanta" (which was having sortages at that time). Then he beeps in on Chuck and tells him the same thing, by which time we are in the airport, watching them from a distance. Lynne is on her crackberry looking for gas stations that are open in ATL. It was so funny.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2010, 12:14:54 pm »
I remember the last time we all got together at Fairystone. Me and Rich were going to the airport in Gene's car, which he had broke the mirror on that morning in my driveway, and decided to pull a prank on Check and Paul and Lynne.

They did not know he had come up the night before, so I called Chuck and told him "I'm not sure Rich is going to make it, he can't find any gas in Atlanta" (which was having sortages at that time). Then he beeps in on Chuck and tells him the same thing, by which time we are in the airport, watching them from a distance. Lynne is on her crackberry looking for gas stations that are open in ATL. It was so funny.

That's a good memory, Truman.  He laughed so hard and if I recall, harder, the more 'outraged' I acted at being so put out.   :laugh:
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2010, 03:49:07 pm »
That's a good memory, Truman.  He laughed so hard and if I recall, harder, the more 'outraged' I acted at being so put out.   :laugh:

And you have been there waiting since 2 AM.

I think there may still be some of that Makers mark about under the cabinet.....