Author Topic: Danny Boyle's latest, a fact-based '127 Hours,' with James Franco and—Kate Mara!  (Read 13240 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
I saw this on Friday and there was a special treat at the end...an appearance by the man himself...Aron Ralston!

What did you think of the movie, Lee? Was the "cutting off the arm" scene too gruesome? How did everyone in the theater react when it happened? I'd love to see this movie (at least when it is released on DVD) but I'm fairly squeamish when it comes to those sorts of things. Especially when the story is true. :-\
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
I've heard reports either way. But my local newspaper critic said they were exaggerated, that it really wasn't all that bad. He said if you could sit through Jackass, you could sit through this. Of course, I couldn't sit through Jackass.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
I didn't think that scene would bother me because I am a woman, a mother, and a carnivore and have carved my share of turkeys. But it turns out that I am not such a stud duck as I thought. I have been having flashbackl to one part of that scene and would have rather turned my eyes away at that point. The bone and flesh part I could handle, but when he got to the nerve, well that was difficult. So, be forewarned...forewarned is forearmed, LOL!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Borrowed the book Between a Rock and a Hard Place from my friend EDelMar. Will I have the fortitude to peruse the color pictures in the middle? I don't know yet. I'm a glutton for punishment!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Borrowed the book Between a Rock and a Hard Place from my friend EDelMar. Will I have the fortitude to peruse the color pictures in the middle? I don't know yet. I'm a glutton for punishment!!

That's the truth! Guess where I went this weekend...the canyonlands of Utah, the site of the event itself depicted in Between a Rock and a Hard Place!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
My son saw this the other night. Someone in the theater fainted and had to be taken out by EMTs.

My son's review: gross but good. ("But"? In most cases the latter requires the former. :laugh:)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
My son saw this the other night. Someone in the theater fainted and had to be taken out by EMTs.

My son's review: gross but good. ("But"? In most cases the latter requires the former. :laugh:)

Ewww yuck. Maybe I'll skip this movie! :laugh:

That doesn't sound too good, does it?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
I didn't think that scene would bother me because I am a woman, a mother, and a carnivore and have carved my share of turkeys. But it turns out that I am not such a stud duck as I thought. I have been having flashbackl to one part of that scene and would have rather turned my eyes away at that point. The bone and flesh part I could handle, but when he got to the nerve, well that was difficult. So, be forewarned...forewarned is forearmed, LOL!

Ewwwww! I don't think this movie is something I'd like to watch. :laugh:

It wouldn't be so bad had it not really happened, you know? Someone had to endure it. That's the part I wouldn't be able to get past. :-\ :P

*cold chill*

That poor man. But thank God he got out of it... I was going to say "in one piece" but sadly that wasn't the case. But at least he's alive. :-\

Still though, I think I'll skip it.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
I'm reading the book now and chapters about the ordeal alternate with chapters about Aron's early life. It's starting to fit into place...how Aron got into that mess and how he got himself out of it! He reminds me a bit of Sherlock. The mind of man is truly fascinating!!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club

And the Oscar goes to... ;)

I really enjoyed the movie but I agree with the critics who said it suffers from stylistic excess. Boyle really goes overboard with split-screens and a slew of other cinematic tricks, it almost overtakes the story, but man, what a story!  James Franco is perfect in the role and I do hope he gets nominated.  The hacking off the arm scenes  didn't really upset me but I have to tell you, the part where he breaks the bones really made me squirm-jump. Ewwww!

Definitel;y worth seeing, and seriously, I can't believe people actually fainted.  Delicate flowers, I guess.  Besides Kate Mara is in it, lol!