Author Topic: The "ABCs of BBM": Round 965! (Rules in first post)  (Read 5490925 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"H" is handyperson
« Reply #21820 on: March 30, 2011, 10:05:38 am »
Even though Ennis didn't have three hands, he was a handyperson around the house.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"I" is interpersonal
« Reply #21821 on: March 30, 2011, 11:47:12 am »
Despite the obvious deterioration of their interpersonal relationship, Lureen and Jack stayed married.

Offline Sason

• Bork bork bork
"L" is liaisons
« Reply #21822 on: March 30, 2011, 02:28:22 pm »
Despite their love for each other, both Jack and Ennis formed liaisons with women and married them.

=aside= Sandy

Thank you!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"M" is mannerisms
« Reply #21823 on: March 30, 2011, 05:31:25 pm »
Both actors do memorable work, but Ledger has the better role, and he makes the strongest choices. He gives Ennis a voice and mannerisms that are utterly idiosyncratic, and then inhabits those choices psychologically, making sense of the locked-down speech, the haunted look and the strong but diffident manner. He completely transforms himself. It's a performance that was thought through in detail and then lived in the moment, and it's one of the most beautiful things in movies this year.

Lee's attention to the unspoken carries over into the domestic scenes, of the men with their respective wives. As with the men, there are things the wives don't dare say out loud, as well, but we can read their thoughts and see the toll the years take. Anne Hathaway, the star of the innocuous Princess Diaries movies, plays Jack's wife, in a committed portrait of a woman getting blonder and blonder, and more bitter and pinched, over the course of some 15 years. It's a brilliant and insightful performance, a time-lapse photography demonstration of what happens to someone who expected to be loved, but wasn't.

Some Comments on Brokeback Mountain, Stephen Holden, NEW YORK TIMES

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"N" is nonperson
« Reply #21824 on: March 30, 2011, 06:14:20 pm »
Jack felt like a nonperson after Jimbo rejected him.

Offline Fran

"O" is overbearingly
« Reply #21825 on: March 30, 2011, 07:56:35 pm »
Lureen was secretly pleased by Jack's reaction after her father behaved so overbearingly.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:11:54 pm by Fran »

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"P" is prisoner
« Reply #21826 on: March 31, 2011, 08:06:25 am »
Ennis is a prisoner of the life he has been born into. Without the financial wherewithal to escape, without any sort of community support for his sexual proclivities, and imbued with the belief that one must bear whatever one can’t fix, Ennis is fated to live out the rest of his life as a man who tasted happiness once but has never again reached that peak. Though it is Jack Twist who, we infer, is murdered by those who oppose his sexual orientation, it is Ennis Del Mar—living in his trailer, confined to a sad life on the broad, flat plains of Wyoming—who is the story’s tragic soul.

=aside= players
I'm off to sunny skies, weather permitting, in Costa Rica for about 10 days.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"R" is raison
« Reply #21827 on: March 31, 2011, 02:27:48 pm »
Loving Ennis was Jack's raison d'être.

=bon voyage= Sandy
I hope it lives up to its name!

Offline Fran

"S" is sloshing
« Reply #21828 on: March 31, 2011, 09:12:40 pm »
"Shot a coyote just first light," he told Jack the next evening, sloshing his face with hot water, lathering up soap and hoping his razor had some cut left in it, while Jack peeled potatoes. "Big son of a bitch. Balls on him size a apples. I bet he'd took a few lambs. Looked like he could a eat a camel. You want some a this hot water? There's plenty."

[story]

=reply= Sandy
Safe travels.  Have a great trip.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 12:22:22 am by Fran »

Offline Sason

• Bork bork bork
"T" is testing
« Reply #21829 on: April 01, 2011, 09:44:27 am »
Jack sprawled himself against his truck, glancing at Ennis, testing the waters to see if Ennis showed any interest at all. Knowing Ennis, it comes as no surprise that he found no sign of interpersonal chemistry.

=aside= Sandy
Safe travels! Enjoy your vacation!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre