Author Topic: Annie Proulx's memoir.  (Read 56577 times)

Marge_Innavera

Re: Annie Proulx's memoir.
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 10:00:30 am »
I have just found out that early next year Annie Proulx's memoir is to be published. It will be called "Bird Cloud: A Memoir" and deals with Brokeback Mountain amongst other things. It is scheduled to be released on January 4, 2011. Something to look forward to in the New Year.

Tell you what, it might be a good thing that Brokeback wasn't the first thing she wrote.  I recently read an article about Harper Lee that suggested her not writing another book was due to To Kill a Mockingbird being such an impossible act to follow.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 11:09:23 am »
Tell you what, it might be a good thing that Brokeback wasn't the first thing she wrote.  I recently read an article about Harper Lee that suggested her not writing another book was due to To Kill a Mockingbird being such an impossible act to follow.

Interesting thought. But I wonder what role the films may have had in making both works of literature tough acts to follow? Annie certainly hasn't had any trouble writing more short stories after "Brokeback."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 03:58:06 pm »
Very good point, Jeff. It seems like her recent work is rather pale next to Close Range and its magnificent final story.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 07:03:09 pm »
Very good point, Jeff. It seems like her recent work is rather pale next to Close Range and its magnificent final story.

Sure enough, but unlike Harper Lee, she has continued to write, and her writings have been published.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 01:33:35 am »

I think it´s the case for many writers/musicians/actors that they find it a hard act to follow when their first work is hughly successfull. In Annie´s case she was pretty seasoned by the time she debuted so I doubt that would have been the case even if Close Range would have been her first published piece of fiction.
Personally, I found both "Bad Dirt" and "Fine Just the Way It Is" pretty brilliant. Especially in the latter it´s obvious she is still growing and still experimenting with her style. Pretty impressive for someone in their 70`s.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 12:51:10 pm »
I just noticed today, reading the Sept. 13 New Yorker at lunch, that Annie is again participating in a panel as part of The New Yorker Festival. On Oct. 1 she's participating in a panel called "Living History," which includes E.L. Doctorow (I thought he was dead!  :o ) and is moderated by Simon Schama.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 01:51:52 pm »
For some reason, the software won't let me link this to the calendar as an event.  It won't let me enter anything past 2010.  I am not going to become alarmed (yet).

:)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 06:45:47 am »
But it's on October 1, 2010 is it not?  ???
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 07:17:57 am »
Chowhound'S original post says

It is scheduled to be released on January 4, 2011.

Did the date change?  That is a Tuesday, and new book releases are almost always Tuesdays.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 08:48:07 am »
For some reason, the software won't let me link this to the calendar as an event.  It won't let me enter anything past 2010.  I am not going to become alarmed (yet).

:)

But it's on October 1, 2010 is it not?  ???

Chowhound'S original post says

Did the date change?  That is a Tuesday, and new book releases are almost always Tuesdays.

Friends, you're talking about two different things here. I tossed into this thread, because it's current, that Annie will be participating in a panel as part of The New Yorker Festival. This will take place on Oct. 1 of this year. Apparently Lynne is trying to link the release date for Annie's memoirs. I don't know anything about that.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 02:42:50 pm by Jeff Wrangler »