Author Topic: Does Lureen humiliate Jack in public?  (Read 3327 times)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Does Lureen humiliate Jack in public?
« on: September 13, 2010, 04:55:11 pm »
This may have been discussed before, but I haven't seen it so I just put it out here.

I've always wondered why Jack asks LaShawn to dance when he does. It dawned on me a while ago that it may be a get back at Lureen.

Is Lureen deliberatly humiliating Jack in public?
All this talk about Tri Delt and Kappa Phi (I'm not quite familiar with what it means, but since it's Greek I assume it's got to do with higher education). Meaning that both she and LaShawn are well educated, and Jack didn't even finish high school. Randall and LaShawn may not know it, but Jack does and is reminded of it when he hears them talking.

And right after that Lureen in a very significant tone of voice ('sarcastic', it says in the screen play) asks Jack why husbands never want to dance with their wives.

Yet another way of publicly humiliating him? As a revenge for all the years of loveless marriage?

So when Jack asks LaShawn to dance, is it a way of getting back at Lureen in that situation?

Would be interesting to hear what you might have to say about this.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: Does Lureen humiliate Jack in public?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 05:01:29 pm »

Would be interesting to hear what you might have to say about this.
I've always interpreted it as Jack getting back at Lureen but also as Jack sending a message to Randall.
Perhaps a "I'm not interested" message (which in that case fails miserably). But it has always seemed to be as Randall is the one chasing Jack and not the other way around.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 05:18:10 pm »
I think both Jack and Lureen are taking swipes at each other in this scene.  I don't think it goes so far as humiliation in either case... to me that word is a bit too strong for what happens.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 05:36:17 pm »

1) I've always wondered why Jack asks LaShawn to dance when he does. It dawned on me a while ago that it may be a get back at Lureen.

2) Is Lureen deliberatly humiliating Jack in public?

3) All this talk about Tri Delt and Kappa Phi (I'm not quite familiar with what it means, but since it's Greek I assume it's got to do with higher education). Meaning that both she and LaShawn are well educated, and Jack didn't even finish high school. Randall and LaShawn may not know it, but Jack does and is reminded of it when he hears them talking.

4) And right after that Lureen in a very significant tone of voice ('sarcastic', it says in the screen play) asks Jack why husbands never want to dance with their wives.

1)  I have noted that when Jack is asking Lashawn to dance, he is mostly looking at Randall.
2)  Lureen is just unhappy, her gamble with Jack didn't pay off, she is just sighing a bit.
3) Tridelts and Kappas are college Greek letter social sororities. On most campuses, the Tridelts are the party girls (I was in a fraternity and I could acquaint you with some jokes about Tridelts, but they are tasteless so I won't) and the Kappas are a more prestigious sorority. Lureen is making a "bitchy" swipe at Lashawn, not at Jack. Lureen is jealous of Lashawn, she is pretty and young, and Lureen has seen better days.
4) another sigh by Lureen, a disappointed marriage.

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 06:11:06 pm »
I've always interpreted it as marital bickering, no so serious as humiliating each other publicly - neither of them are happy in their marriage and are tired of pretending, although obviously not tired of it enough, because they are still married.  Jack seems tired - tired of the marriage, tired of waiting for a whole lot of nothin' from Ennis.  Lureen took a swipe at Jack, Jack does so right back.   She gives LaShawn a put-down too, about her more prestigious sorority, as mentioned above, but those days are behind her now.  Lureen appears to now be a disappointed and bitter woman.    When Jack asks "Wanna dance?" I have always thought he was saying it to Randall, and LaShawn just assumes he means her, and he does actually mean her, and they dance.   Almost as if he's tired of hiding who he really is and whether said jokingly or not, he's saying it to Randall, because he seems to look right at Randall, and Randall got the message.  
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 07:41:42 pm by marina »
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 02:33:10 am »
 Jack seems tired - tired of the marriage, tired of waiting for a whole lot of nothin' from Ennis. 
That´s true. I always find this scene hard to watch, not only because of what´s going on with Randall, but also because Jack here is so different from how he was up on Brokeback. Gotta say that JG does an excellent job in this scene.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 03:40:28 am »
Thanks all for these interesting comments and explanations. Gave me a whole lot of new thoughts about the scene!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre