Author Topic: What's on your fall must-watch movie list?  (Read 16543 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
What's on your fall must-watch movie list?
« on: September 26, 2010, 04:12:40 pm »
It's time to vote on the fall slate of movies!! You can vote for up to 10 movies. If you want more votes than that, I want your life!! Please also add a comment, about what you think of the upcoming movies or anything else about what you're watching. Thanks, and happy autumn movie going!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
Re: What's on your fall must-watch movie list?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 09:55:45 pm »
Thanks for starting this, FR! I'm glad to have the chance to keep up with autumn movies. I picked "Easy A," because I've read several glowing reviews, and "Social Network," because it looks good and my kids are really excited about it.

The one I noticed is missing from the poll is "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps," the sequel to Oliver Stone's 1987 "Wall Street." I'll definitely see that, though I think the reviews have been only so-so. I rewatched the original movie this summer in anticipation of it.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 10:45:06 pm »
Okay, I added it where your "Other" vote was.  :)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 11:05:40 pm »
Okay, I added it where your "Other" vote was.  :)

Thank you, although it wasn't my "other" vote. I only realized it after filling out the poll.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 08:47:02 am »
Of course, I never go to movies anymore  ::)  but I should see Black Swan. The Pennsylvania Ballet is playing it up really big because dancers from the company appear in it. If any of the guys from the company are in the film, I might recognize some familiar faces.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 08:40:44 pm »
Interesting!! Did you stop going to movies after Brokeback Mountain?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 09:51:14 pm »
Of course, I never go to movies anymore  ::)  but I should see Black Swan.

LOL, when I first heard of Black Swan, I thought it was based on the book The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable by Nassim Nicholas Taleb (from Wikipedia):

The Black Swan Theory or "Theory of Black Swan Events" was developed by Nassim Nicholas Taleb  to explain: 1) the disproportionate role of high-impact, hard to predict, and rare events that are beyond the realm of normal expectations in history, science, finance and technology, 2) the non-computability of the probability of the consequential rare events using scientific methods (owing to their very nature of small probabilities) and 3) the psychological biases that make people individually and collectively blind to uncertainty and unaware of the massive role of the rare event in historical affairs. Unlike the earlier philosophical "black swan problem", the "Black Swan Theory" (capitalized)  refers only to unexpected events of large magnitude and consequence and their dominant role in history. Such events, considered extreme outliers, collectively play vastly larger roles than regular occurrences.

Admittedly, it doesn't sound all that cinematic.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 11:29:36 am »
Interesting!! Did you stop going to movies after Brokeback Mountain?

No. I have no time for movies anymore. Waste of time to sit in a theater and do nothing but stare at a big screen for two hours.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 11:38:54 am »
LOL, when I first heard of Black Swan, I thought it was based on the book The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable by Nassim Nicholas Taleb.

Interesting the differences in frames of reference. When I first heard of the title, my first thought was:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034522/

(Old Tyrone Power movie--which I've enver seen, BTW.)

Then I read that the plot has to do with a ballerina and realized it's clearly a reference to Swan Lake.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 11:55:09 am »
Waste of time to sit in a theater and do nothing but stare at a big screen for two hours.

What would you be doing instead?

I'm the opposite -- movies are my escape. Maybe because when I'm in a theater, I don't feel obliged to do anything but stare at a big screen for two hours.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 12:56:17 pm »
What would you be doing instead?

I'm the opposite -- movies are my escape. Maybe because when I'm in a theater, I don't feel obliged to do anything but stare at a big screen for two hours.

Could be any one of a number of things. Hobby project, maybe. Some little project around the house, perhaps. Something that will leave me feeling that I've accomplished something that's personally meaningful in that spare time. Movies don't give me that feeling.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 07:35:42 pm »
Okay, any other moviegoers out there??  ???

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 10:25:04 am »
I picked:

Never Let Me Go - Because it sounds like The Island for thinking people?
Waiting for Superman- Especially after finding out that the repulsive NaOnka on Survivor is actually a teacher!
127 Hours -  James Franco. James Franco. James Franco.
Black Swan - I actually saw Aronofski's The Fountain at the theatre, and liked it.
Blue Valentine - Ryan Gosling. Ryan Gosling. Ryan Gosling.
Buried - Because I'm a tad claustrophobic and a tad masochistic, lol!
Other:

Howl -Because of...oh hell, James Franco. James Franco. James Franco.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZhtxWZNQ20[/youtube]

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 07:55:32 pm »
I picked:

Never Let Me Go - Because it sounds like The Island for thinking people?
Waiting for Superman- Especially after finding out that the repulsive NaOnka on Survivor is actually a teacher!
127 Hours -  James Franco. James Franco. James Franco.
Black Swan - I actually saw Aronofski's The Fountain at the theatre, and liked it.
Blue Valentine - Ryan Gosling. Ryan Gosling. Ryan Gosling.
Buried - Because I'm a tad claustrophobic and a tad masochistic, lol!
Other:

Howl -Because of...oh hell, James Franco. James Franco. James Franco.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZhtxWZNQ20[/youtube]

hehe...well then why not Eat, Pray, Love or as you might call it James, Franco, JamesFranco???  :P

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 08:59:46 pm »
In addition to Social Network, I'm really looking forward to Catfish. Sounds interesting!

And I'll probably see 127 Hours, Howl and Blue Valentine for the same reasons Oilgun mentioned.  ;D

I saw Easy A last night. Verrrry light, but cute and witty.

On my might-see list: Wall Street, Never Let Me Go, The American.

Offline JackyTwist

• Don't Say Much
  • He's so damn sexy!
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 03:07:43 am »
Okay, any other moviegoers out there??  ???
I don't go to the movies that often, so sorry not one of the films in the list. But I can't wait until Love and other Drugs will hit the theaters in Holland on January, 6. In the meantime I'll watch BBM  ::) probably every other day on DVD, and I'll receive 5 earlier movies of Jake Gyllenhaal  ;D next Monday. So that will help me pass the time 'till January!
There is never enough time, never enough!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 01:46:08 pm »
I'm not sure when this will be coming out, but i'll defiinetlysee it:

GASPAR NOE'S ENTER THE VOID

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI89ovR36r0[/youtube]

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 05:38:50 pm »
I will definitely see "Love and Other Drugs."  Was lucky enough to see Jake interviewed by critic David Denby last night, and Denby couldn't say enough nice things about it.  The clips were good, too.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 04:13:53 pm »
I'll have LAOD on the winter must-watch poll. Meanwhile, I saw The Social Network. Beginning with the title, I wish the filmmakers had taken Sean Parker's (Justin Timberlake) advice to drop the "The" from TheFacebook, and just call the movie Social Network8)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 06:09:20 pm »
Things I liked about The Social Network: the music (original music by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, sounding a lot like Death Cab for Cutie), the cinematography, the sets, most of the acting, the story and dialogue, the pacing. Things I didn't like: makeup (really bad) and the portrayal of women. The only more-than-2D woman portrayed was Rooney Mara as Erica Albright, the woman who dumped Mark at the beginning of the film (this has been publicized so much that I don't consider it a spoiler). All of the other women were mostly undressed, drugged, paranoid, or clueless. Can Harvard really be that backwards? Andrew Garfield was dynamite as Eduardo Saverin, the cofounder and best friend of Mark Zuckerberg. He also played Anton in the Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus and was fantastic in that as well. Somehow casting found two unrelated men to play the Winklevoss twins. I suspect that they grafted Armie Hammer's (Armie??) head onto the other actor's body. He or they looked like Brendan Fraser from George of the Jungle days. The guy who played Laurence Summers, the president of Harvard, was very good too. Oh, and Justin Timberlake was spot-on as the guy who created Napster, a Silicon Valley wunderkind. Totally unlikeable despite his beauty and charm, he was nevertheless uncategorizable, as were most of the characters. Did they really have no moral compass at all? What motivated them? How could they be so brilliant and yet so un-self aware? Please, your thoughts everyone!!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 12:06:17 am »
Things I liked about The Social Network: the music (original music by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, sounding a lot like Death Cab for Cutie), the cinematography, the sets, most of the acting, the story and dialogue, the pacing. Things I didn't like: makeup (really bad) and the portrayal of women. The only more-than-2D woman portrayed was Rooney Mara as Erica Albright, the woman who dumped Mark at the beginning of the film (this has been publicized so much that I don't consider it a spoiler). All of the other women were mostly undressed, drugged, paranoid, or clueless. Can Harvard really be that backwards? Andrew Garfield was dynamite as Eduardo Saverin, the cofounder and best friend of Mark Zuckerberg. He also played Anton in the Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus and was fantastic in that as well. Somehow casting found two unrelated men to play the Winklevoss twins. I suspect that they grafted Armie Hammer's (Armie??) head onto the other actor's body. He or they looked like Brendan Fraser from George of the Jungle days. The guy who played Laurence Summers, the president of Harvard, was very good too. Oh, and Justin Timberlake was spot-on as the guy who created Napster, a Silicon Valley wunderkind. Totally unlikeable despite his beauty and charm, he was nevertheless uncategorizable, as were most of the characters. Did they really have no moral compass at all? What motivated them? How could they be so brilliant and yet so un-self aware? Please, your thoughts everyone!!

Not very useful thoughts because I haven't seen it yet, but

1) I wonder if the lack of substantive roles for women is less about Harvard in them days than internet startups in them days?

2) I read that the Winklevoss Twins were created by PhotoShopping the actor's head on a stand-in's body.

3) Looking forward to it! My son saw it last night and liked it a lot.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 01:09:44 am »
Hereafter, Conviction and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1.

Also, I picked "other" because I'd like to see Charlie St. Cloud. I haven't seen that one yet. Has anyone seen it? Is it any good? Zak Efron is such a cutie and the movie looks like it's brilliant.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 02:53:57 am »
Hi David...welcome!! I think Charlie St. Cloud might be out on DVD by now.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 08:57:42 am »
Somehow casting found two unrelated men to play the Winklevoss twins. I suspect that they grafted Armie Hammer's (Armie??) head onto the other actor's body. He or they looked like Brendan Fraser from George of the Jungle days.

For reals? Did you check this in the credits? I've been reading a lot about this film, and what I've read is that Armie Hammer (born Armand Hammer--I suspect a descendant of the Armand Hammer, of Occidental Petroleum, but I haven't investigated) played both "Winklevi" through old-fashioned movie magic. In his IMDb entry he does sorta look like a younger Brendan Fraser with a blond dye-job.

Did they really have no moral compass at all? What motivated them? How could they be so brilliant and yet so un-self aware?

Well, I can't explain it, but in the New Yorker article about the film, Mark Zuckerberg comes across as totally lacking in empathy, so I can believe it.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 09:03:48 am »
hehe, the other Winklevoss is listed as a "body double" so I don't think it was a case of one man playing both parts, as Nicholas Cage did in Adaptation. I felt lots of empathy for Mark!! But then I'm weird...I loved his Little Lost Boy look after he'd done something reprehensible. I've seen that look before in real life!  ;)

LOL "Winklevi"! Jeff, you really should make an exception to your No Movies rule to see this one...I would love to discuss it with you!!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2010, 03:24:29 pm »

A quietly heartbreaking film that had me stifling actual sobs more than once.  I loved it.  The leads are all great but I was especially moved by Andrew Garfield's performance.  I highly recommend it to BbM fans.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2010, 03:56:33 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^

What's it about?

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline oilgun

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2010, 04:37:34 pm »
Never Let Me Go is about three friends growing up together in a “special” British boarding school during an alternate history where science is lightyears ahead of us and has pervaded even the most innate aspects of life that once seemed impossible. As our trio grows up, they start to learn the ugly truths about how they fit into the grand scheme of things and what it is that makes them “special”, so they do their best to take advantage of the fate that’s befallen them while struggling to change their future.

It’s pretty hard to break down a synopsis for this movie without giving anything away or ruining the wonderfully cryptic ad campaign that went along with it, but the best I can give ya’ is that it’s like the grown-up, thoughtful, Michael Bay-less version of The Island. Then again, that’s a pretty unfortunate way to compare anything to anything even if there are some similiarities, so do what you will with that one, just know that it’s better than The Island.

http://flicksided.com/2010/09/cut-the-crap-movie-review-never-let-me-go-2010/

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2010, 04:48:46 pm »
That sounds very cryptic!

Thanks!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2010, 05:01:07 pm »
Andrew's in Never Let Me Go? Gasp...I'm there!! See my comments about him below.

Andrew Garfield was dynamite as Eduardo Saverin, the cofounder and best friend of Mark Zuckerberg. He also played Anton in the Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus and was fantastic in that as well.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2010, 02:08:51 am »
Hi David...welcome!! I think Charlie St. Cloud might be out on DVD by now.

Thanks Lee! I just checked and it will be out on DVD in just a few weeks. I can't wait to see it.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2010, 02:10:46 am »
I'm looking forward to seeing "Hereafter". I've heard it described as a 2010 version of "The Sixth Sense" so it is definately a movie I'd really enjoy. And Matt Damon is sooooooo nice to look at, isn't he? 8)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2010, 09:32:27 am »
You bet, friend! I liked him in All the Pretty Horses.

Question for y'all: does your participation or nonparticipation in Facebook affect your decision whether to see The Social Network or not?

Offline oilgun

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2010, 11:42:48 am »
You bet, friend! I liked him in All the Pretty Horses.

Question for y'all: does your participation or nonparticipation in Facebook affect your decision whether to see The Social Network or not?

I have a Facebook account but I've basically abandoned it.  I haven't visited in quite a while (unlike Twitter which I'm addicted to).  Maybe that's why I have little interest in seeing TSN despite all the good reviews.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2010, 02:57:25 pm »
I would think a general familiarity with the site is all you'd need. With most movies about businesses, you don't have to be an avid customer of the business in order to enjoy the movie.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2010, 03:25:33 pm »
I have a Facebook account but I've basically abandoned it. 

I noticed!!  :'(

Maybe that's why I have little interest in seeing TSN despite all the good reviews.

I have just two words for you, oilgun: Andrew Garfield!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2010, 11:25:05 am »
I added Hereafter, David!

I also added a couple of new movies by first-time directors. Nowhere Boy is the story of John Lennon's early years, directed by Sam Taylor-Wood and starring Aaron Johnson, Anne-Marie Duff (as his mother) and Kristin Scott Thomas as his aunt.  Freebie is directed and starred in by Katie Aselton and is focused on a straight couple, married for 7 years, for whom the spark has gone out. They wonder if each going elsewhere for a one-night stand would revive their marriage. Chaos ensues.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2010, 05:38:14 pm »

I noticed!!  :'(

I have just two words for you, oilgun: Andrew Garfield!

Well, I might see it for Andrew, lol!  Did you see Boy A (2007)?  He was great in that, it was his breakout role.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1078188/

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2010, 10:19:43 pm »
I haven't seen Boy A, PQ, but I'll definitely look for it! The movie in which AG first got my attention was The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus...he practically stole the show from Heath, Jude, Johnny and company for me!! I kept thinking, where have I seen this boy before? I thought he had been in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but, no, he was a new star shooting across the sky!!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2010, 10:30:16 am »

This looks interesting, but terrifying. The trailer alone scares the hell out of me. I probably should see Saw VII or something instead.

[youtube=425,350]
[/youtube]

Offline oilgun

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2010, 11:28:49 am »
I haven't seen Boy A, PQ, but I'll definitely look for it! The movie in which AG first got my attention was The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus...he practically stole the show from Heath, Jude, Johnny and company for me!! I kept thinking, where have I seen this boy before? I thought he had been in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but, no, he was a new star shooting across the sky!!

You have to see it!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VaSQNUt9H4[/youtube]

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2010, 11:34:22 am »
That looks interesting, PQ Zombie!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2010, 03:39:06 pm »
I second that, PQ! Must definitely put Boy A on my list! I was very impressed with Andrew Garfield's acting in The Social Network. He manages to straddle the line of loyal friend to Mark Zuckerberg while also being his own man, and never overacts even when he's under great stress or being betrayed. He brings restrained passion to the role as befits someone named Eduardo Saveren, but is also believable as the typical repressed Harvard geek at the same time.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2011, 09:40:15 pm »
I obtained a copy of Boy A from the library and I am so looking forward to seeing it...tonight!!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2011, 12:52:28 pm »
I obtained a copy of Boy A from the library and I am so looking forward to seeing it...tonight!!

We'll expect a full report, enjoy!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2011, 12:35:35 pm »
This film was very good. Andrew's face is very expressive without being grotesque. The love scenes were exquisitely filmed. I was even more impressed with his acting, and it was his first film! Negatives were the editing, which was intrusive and severe, giving you the feeling that you were just popping into selected scenes of the movie while channel surfing, say. I wasn't really thrilled with his character's love interest. She was not all that remarkable, just the closest female around, it seemed like. And unfortunately the accent of most of the characters was so thick, I think I didn't get some important parts of the story. But the visuals were so beautiful (especially Andrew) that I didn't really care what I was missing!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2012, 07:41:00 pm »
I rented Never Let Me Go and will watch it tonight. At this rate, I will zoom through my Fall, 2010, must-watch movie list by late 2013!!!  :laugh:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2012, 05:00:42 pm »
I rented Never Let Me Go and will watch it tonight. At this rate, I will zoom through my Fall, 2010, must-watch movie list by late 2013!!!  :laugh:

This was another one of those movies, becoming more plentiful, that addresses the question, "What is a human?" The movie begins in what seems to be an orphanage in Britain where homeless children are raised and schooled. One day the teacher divulges that while most children grow up to follow careers or other paths in life, that is not an option for the children of this home.

Keira Knightley, Andrew Garfield and Carey Mulligan are splendid. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1334260/
It's a tear jerker, so don't view unless you're in the mood for that sort of thing.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2012, 02:14:17 am »
I read the book and didn't really like it, so I'll pass.

Tonight I went to Carnage, the new Roman Polanski film about two bickering upper middle class Manhattan couples. I don't strongly recommend it. The four leads are all normally good actors--John C. Reilly, Jodie Foster, Kate Winslet and Christoph Waltz--but in this case they came off as actor-y and artificial, particularly Jodie Foster, whose character just way seemed over the top. The problem was partly the screenplay, but I felt like if Jodie had dialed it down a little it would have worked better.

Christoph Waltz played an American businessman, and although his mastery of an American accent is a stunning accomplishment his pronunciation and cadence sounded to my ears just a hair short of authentic. I felt the same way, actually, about Michael Sheen's American academic in Midnight in Paris, and wondered why they bothered to make him American; the character would have worked just as well as a Brit. Now I wonder if all the American actors who play British or European characters sound grating to people from those countries.

Two non-American actors who do really great American accents: Hugh Laurie and Christian Bale. Oh, not to mention Heath Ledger!  :D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2012, 12:20:44 am »

Two non-American actors who do really great American accents: Hugh Laurie and Christian Bale. Oh, not to mention Heath Ledger!  :D

Christian Bale is not American??? Also, I didn't notice Michael Sheen in MIP. He was good as Tony Blair in The Queen. So, he played the stuck-up guy in MIP?

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2012, 08:40:47 am »
I believe Christian Bale is Welsh.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2012, 10:11:06 am »
Christian Bale is not American??? Also, I didn't notice Michael Sheen in MIP. He was good as Tony Blair in The Queen. So, he played the stuck-up guy in MIP?

Christian Bale was born in Wales and grew up in England.

Michael Sheen did indeed play the stuck-up guy. He was good as Tony Blair, but I especially liked him as David Frost in Frost/Nixon.

You know who I forgot to mention has a great American accent? Diane Kruger. She is from Germany, but when she's playing Americans you'd think she grew up in Orange County.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2012, 10:27:56 am »