Author Topic: What's on your fall must-watch movie list?  (Read 16539 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: What's on your fall must-watch movie list?
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2010, 11:28:49 am »
I haven't seen Boy A, PQ, but I'll definitely look for it! The movie in which AG first got my attention was The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus...he practically stole the show from Heath, Jude, Johnny and company for me!! I kept thinking, where have I seen this boy before? I thought he had been in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but, no, he was a new star shooting across the sky!!

You have to see it!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VaSQNUt9H4[/youtube]

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2010, 11:34:22 am »
That looks interesting, PQ Zombie!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2010, 03:39:06 pm »
I second that, PQ! Must definitely put Boy A on my list! I was very impressed with Andrew Garfield's acting in The Social Network. He manages to straddle the line of loyal friend to Mark Zuckerberg while also being his own man, and never overacts even when he's under great stress or being betrayed. He brings restrained passion to the role as befits someone named Eduardo Saveren, but is also believable as the typical repressed Harvard geek at the same time.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2011, 09:40:15 pm »
I obtained a copy of Boy A from the library and I am so looking forward to seeing it...tonight!!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2011, 12:52:28 pm »
I obtained a copy of Boy A from the library and I am so looking forward to seeing it...tonight!!

We'll expect a full report, enjoy!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2011, 12:35:35 pm »
This film was very good. Andrew's face is very expressive without being grotesque. The love scenes were exquisitely filmed. I was even more impressed with his acting, and it was his first film! Negatives were the editing, which was intrusive and severe, giving you the feeling that you were just popping into selected scenes of the movie while channel surfing, say. I wasn't really thrilled with his character's love interest. She was not all that remarkable, just the closest female around, it seemed like. And unfortunately the accent of most of the characters was so thick, I think I didn't get some important parts of the story. But the visuals were so beautiful (especially Andrew) that I didn't really care what I was missing!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2012, 07:41:00 pm »
I rented Never Let Me Go and will watch it tonight. At this rate, I will zoom through my Fall, 2010, must-watch movie list by late 2013!!!  :laugh:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2012, 05:00:42 pm »
I rented Never Let Me Go and will watch it tonight. At this rate, I will zoom through my Fall, 2010, must-watch movie list by late 2013!!!  :laugh:

This was another one of those movies, becoming more plentiful, that addresses the question, "What is a human?" The movie begins in what seems to be an orphanage in Britain where homeless children are raised and schooled. One day the teacher divulges that while most children grow up to follow careers or other paths in life, that is not an option for the children of this home.

Keira Knightley, Andrew Garfield and Carey Mulligan are splendid. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1334260/
It's a tear jerker, so don't view unless you're in the mood for that sort of thing.

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2012, 02:14:17 am »
I read the book and didn't really like it, so I'll pass.

Tonight I went to Carnage, the new Roman Polanski film about two bickering upper middle class Manhattan couples. I don't strongly recommend it. The four leads are all normally good actors--John C. Reilly, Jodie Foster, Kate Winslet and Christoph Waltz--but in this case they came off as actor-y and artificial, particularly Jodie Foster, whose character just way seemed over the top. The problem was partly the screenplay, but I felt like if Jodie had dialed it down a little it would have worked better.

Christoph Waltz played an American businessman, and although his mastery of an American accent is a stunning accomplishment his pronunciation and cadence sounded to my ears just a hair short of authentic. I felt the same way, actually, about Michael Sheen's American academic in Midnight in Paris, and wondered why they bothered to make him American; the character would have worked just as well as a Brit. Now I wonder if all the American actors who play British or European characters sound grating to people from those countries.

Two non-American actors who do really great American accents: Hugh Laurie and Christian Bale. Oh, not to mention Heath Ledger!  :D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2012, 12:20:44 am »

Two non-American actors who do really great American accents: Hugh Laurie and Christian Bale. Oh, not to mention Heath Ledger!  :D

Christian Bale is not American??? Also, I didn't notice Michael Sheen in MIP. He was good as Tony Blair in The Queen. So, he played the stuck-up guy in MIP?