Author Topic: What are your "pet hates'  (Read 18784 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: What are your "pet hates'
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2006, 06:27:05 pm »
You know, I think one of us should start a "parents" thread so that we stop hijacking all these other threads.

Good idea!

I realized later I should have added that my above principle also applies to the "Why can't I jump off the roof" type questions and "Why can't I stay home from school and watch the playoff game?" type questions. For every logical reason, there's always some seemingly equally logical counterargument (I'll put a pile of leaves on the ground under me, baseball is educational and we're not doing anything important in school today). The day one of my kids hears my sensible rationale and says, "Oh, OK, I see what you mean. Never mind, then" will be the day I know he's been taken over by alien pod people.

At age 3, I'm still wondering if I should use "why can't we buy that" as an opportunity to teach him about money.

You probably should, yes. But then, there's always some creative Parents-magazine-style "teachable moment" associated with every child-rearing hassle, and if you tried to do them all you'd be spending your extra two hours of the 26-hour day doing that instead of hanging out here!

::)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: What are your "pet hates'
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2006, 10:48:41 pm »
I also hate it when friends ring your doorbell in the middle of a Saturday afternoon and say, "I was just in the neighborhood and thought I'd pop in and say hello" then proceed to stay until you almost have to politely ask them to leave.  We have some pseudo-friends who used to do this to us constantly, even while I was on strict bedrest with my pregnancy and after I had recently given birth to Will.  *Extremely* inconsiderate.  What?  You can't pick up a phone or at least call on your cell phone when you're five minutes away so we have the option to turn you down or at least be ready for you?  Selfish bastards.

Heh, my parents dealt with such 'friends' easily and I guess I learned my stuff from them.

If such friends dropped by, my parents greeted them warmly and talked with them - but never invited them in.  And finally, when they got tired of standing on the porch, they'd make their excuses, leave and we'd wave goodbye.

As an adult single woman, I have the perfect excuse - my safety.  I only tell close friends where I live and then ask them to call me before they come over.

If they do not do so, they learn the hard way that even though my car is in the parking lot, I will not answer the door.  It can't be my friends knocking, right?  I asked them to call before any visit.  So it must be a stranger and I don't open my door for strangers and in fact, ignore them.

Problem solved.  Good friends learn their lesson, pseduo-inconsiderate friends go away and don't try such a stunt again.   8)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 10:50:44 pm by delalluvia »