Author Topic: Do You Believe In U.F.O.s and Extra Terrestrials?  (Read 41579 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Do You Believe In U.F.O.s and Extra Terrestrials?
« on: September 22, 2006, 10:35:43 pm »
A friend and I were driving back home from Fort Benjamin Harrison (an Army base here in Indianapolis. They closed most of it several years  ago) after spending a few hours of checking out some of the cute soldiers stationed there. It was getting pretty dark and it was only a quick 5 minute drive from the Army base to my house. Suddenly we saw a huge "fire ball" fly over the top of my car. It was very bright and just before it flew off into the horizon it stopped and hovered for a few seconds, and then disappeared. When I got home, it was all over the news. People all across central Indiana saw this fire ball and most people also had the sensation that the fire ball had flown directly over them (just as we did). Many Hoosiers also noticed it hovering before it disappeared, and others saw it simply streak across the sky. It was a strange looking too. It was a mixture of different colors. Some people here in Indianapolis continued to talk about it for several months, but most soon forgot all about it.  ???

Are there any fellow Hoosiers here on Bettermost who might remember this strange hovering fireball that streaked over our Indiana skies back in 1979 or 1980? (I can't remember the exact year.)

I have been watching the Travel Channel, and apparently there have been some reports within the past few years of UFO sightings in neighboring Illinois, Michigan and even in Wisconsin.

Has anyone else ever seen a UFO, strange lights in the sky or hovering "fireballs"? If so, do you think they were "extra terrestrial"? Are we being watched? Are we being visited?

Do you even believe such a thing is possible?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
Re: Do You Believe In U.F.O.s and Extra Terrestrials?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 10:48:54 pm »
I remember one night when I was reading the second "Conversations with God" book out loud to my mom, who's kinda interested in such things. We stopped to talk about something we had read and I happened to look up as we were talking. It was a relatively clear night... but there high above me were three red lights arranged in a triangle formation that were silently swooping across the sky. It went behind the chimney where I couldn't see it anymore and disappeared. I immediately looked across at my mother and said "I think I just saw a UFO".

Another time, I was in the audience of a classical recital or something, and I happened to look out the window. There was a bright blue comet-looking thing slowly descending to the earth not very far from where we were. I would have jumped up and gone to see what it was, but I couldn't interrupt the recital.

And then there are those bright color-flashy orb things that I've continued to see since I was 12. They're usually just above the horizon and flicker from red to blue to white. I don't think those are UFO's, but something manmade. I just don't know what. They don't move at all, just flicker.

Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 11:45:41 pm »
I have never seen a UFO that I remember.  My parents say they did while driving through Ohio in the late 70's/early 80's ... I can't remember for sure.  While I've never seen one I certainly believe that it is possible that they are out there!
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 12:40:50 am »
I have never seen a UFO that I remember.  My parents say they did while driving through Ohio in the late 70's/early 80's ... I can't remember for sure.  While I've never seen one I certainly believe that it is possible that they are out there!

That's interesting Amber and Daniel.

For some reason, it seems UFOs often appear in the Midwestern United States. I have also heard reports of people seeing UFOs over in Belgium, Germany and Denmark. Mexico has had a large number of sightings too.

mvansand76

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 05:30:19 am »
Haven't seen one yet, but I definitely believe that it could be possible. Jan-Willem, my boyfriend, has seen one years ago, and no, he was not drunk or drugged!  :)

injest

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 07:05:42 am »
EEEEEEEE!! SCARY THREAD!!!! SCARY THREAD!!!!!

*Jess plugging her ears as she ruuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnsssss out of the thread*

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 02:02:23 pm »
I didn't vote because I don't know what the connotations are.

Do I believe in U.F.O.s?

Do I believe there are flying things that remain unidentified?  Yes, of course.  I don't have to believe.  It's well documented.  Do I believe those unidentified things are ships flying in from other civiliizations from other stars or 4th dimensional intrusions into our 3 dimensional space by beings from another universal plane?  Um, no.  Or at least, I don't believe there is enough proof to say so.

Do I believe in extra terrestrials?  Meteorites are extra-terrestrial.  So is anything that doesn't come from earth.  So yes, that's a no-brainer, it's not a belief.  Do I believe in extra-terrestrials as aliens from other worlds exist?  Yes, the galaxy/universe is a huge huge place.  But it's just my belief.  I have no proof.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 07:00:11 pm by delalluvia »

Dafna

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 04:32:23 pm »
I believe in them. I have never seen a UFO. It would be a very cool but scary thing. I have looked at the stars at night and wondered what in the heck is out there.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 01:41:03 am »
I believe in them. I have never seen a UFO. It would be a very cool but scary thing. I have looked at the stars at night and wondered what in the heck is out there.

Dafna -

Like you, I love to stare at the night sky and wonder. In fact, it is one of my most favorite things to do. Try staring at the starry sky for 15 minutes. I guarantee you will see something interesting! It might not be a flying saucer, but you WILL see something...  a shooting star, a comet or perhaps a strange light. There is always something going on up there.  Do you own a telescope? If you don't, you may want to consider purchasing one. A telescope only enhances the star gazing experience. I have seen so many things while star gazing, and just like you, I always wonder "what the heck is out there!"

A Big Hearty Welcome To Bettermost, Dafna! We're happy you joined our family!   :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2006, 02:37:14 am »
EEEEEEEE!! SCARY THREAD!!!! SCARY THREAD!!!!!

*Jess plugging her ears as she ruuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnsssss out of the thread*

Sorry it scared you Jess.

But.... did you answer the poll  before you ran out of here?  ;)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2006, 05:33:42 pm »
There was an incident in the late 1890s here in Texas I just heard about recently. A UFO came over. Now this was before TV or telephones...and they have newpapers reporting this from Louisiana to Dallas...the thing crashed and the local people buried something in their cemetary. An amateur investigator came and tried to get permission to dig it up. He was thrown out of town and when other people went back the marker over the 'grave' was gone and the gates were padlocked...

They have a picture of the grave marker saying the townspeople had given 'the visitors from the sky' a Christian burial.

That's really interesting.... and spooky!

God. Their choice of words on the grave is even creepy; "the visitors from the sky". Whew! It gives me cold chills.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2006, 07:09:02 pm »
There was an incident in the late 1890s here in Texas I just heard about recently. A UFO came over. Now this was before TV or telephones...and they have newpapers reporting this from Louisiana to Dallas...the thing crashed and the local people buried something in their cemetary. An amateur investigator came and tried to get permission to dig it up. He was thrown out of town and when other people went back the marker over the 'grave' was gone and the gates were padlocked...

They have a picture of the grave marker saying the townspeople had given 'the visitors from the sky' a Christian burial.

It's the incident in Aurora, Texas.  No one knows if it really happened or was just a hoax.  The History Channel did a special on it.  Story goes something like this:

the residents saw what they called an 'airship' drifting low over the town and it hit a windmill belonging to a local judge and blew up.  The residents all ran over and found one dead person.  They gave him a Christian burial and tossed the wreckage from his airship down a well that was later filled in or covered up.

However, looking a little deeper, the judge in question on whose property the airship hit his windmill, never had a windmill.  The town was slowly losing citizens and might have tried a stunt to bring attention to the town.  Despite such a momentous event, the story - and it was written by a known practical joker - once it ran in the town's newspapers was never mentioned again.

And of course, the whole story begs the question of how a space ship, capable of traveling millions of light years at fantastic speeds, would blow up when it hit some rickety structure like a windmill when not traveling at a fast speed at all.

It's a great story, but there're a lot of holes in it.   

injest

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2006, 09:12:54 pm »
I bow to your greater knowledge of course; Delalluvia....I thought we were just having fun and telling stories.

Offline ekeby

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2006, 11:01:01 pm »
Okay. I wish people wouldn't ask this question in the same way they ask a child if they believe in Santa Claus. Kinda puts it on that level.

My opinion: much more likely than not that we have been or are being visited. I love a good UFO show--and a lot of people interviewed have pointed out that their eyewitness testimony would stand up in court, but when it comes to UFOs suddenly their credibility disappears. Unfortunately it's so far out of our ability to comprehend people just dismiss the idea. Too bad for them.

The scariest? The movie Fire in the Sky . . . try watching that alone at home late at night . . . :)
I read the guy's book afterward--totally convincing . . . .

I complain too much. That teacher don't like me. Now it's your turn.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2006, 11:39:19 pm »
Okay. I wish people wouldn't ask this question in the same way they ask a child if they believe in Santa Claus. Kinda puts it on that level.

What do you mean? How can this question be on the same level as Santa Claus? People have wondered about UFOs and life on other planets for centuries... maybe even for millenniums.

Santa Claus is real. 

;)

moremojo

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2006, 10:59:40 am »
Yes, I believe in UFO's as a paranormal phenomenon. I believe because of the preponderance of eyewitness accounts from sane, reasonable people who would have no ulterior motive to make these stories up. A former boyfriend of an aunt of mine saw a long cigar-shaped object hover under a tree in a field once, to lift up and fly away just moments later. The brother and uncle of a friend of mine once reported seeing round, red objects circle around radio towers many times. My mother woke one night, when I was about twelve, to see a little man, dressed in blue with a scowling expression on his face, standing by her bed and looking at her. Though terrified, she could not move, and eventually fell back into unconsciousness. Years later, reading about abduction experiences, she came to believe that she had had a similar encounter that night.

There was one night, not too many years ago, when my sister and I were driving back home from visiting our uncle, a few miles outside our home town. There was a heavy rainstorm, with the clouds very low and the rain pounding. As we were going down the highway, all of a sudden we saw a flash, as if lightning had just streaked above us. That was alarming enough, but when I looked to my left, towards the open field, I saw a green circular light glowing next to a tree. We passed by too suddenly for me to get a really good look, and it occurred to me that perhaps lightning had struck some vegetation there and had ignited something, causing the green glow. But I couldn't help but wonder, due to the strangeness of the sight, if it were something beyond the bounds of scientific explanation.

Just some stories to share, to illustrate better why I believe.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 05:06:46 pm by moremojo »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2006, 09:34:42 pm »
I was watching Fox News earlier today and I saw something pop up on the screen and I couldn't believe what it said. Around 12:30 pm today a small message appeared which read: "FOX NEWS ALERT. NASA Officials Invistigating Large Object Detected Near Earth" That is all it said. The Fox News Alert message was only visible on the TV screen for about 3 or 4 seconds and then disappeared. In addition, they didn't play the little sound effect (the BONG! sound) normally used at the beginning of a news alert. I never saw the message again and they never did discuss it on Fox News, nor (to my knowledge) was it ever discussed on CNN or MSNBC.

But I KNOW I saw it.

Did anyone hear about this today? Does anyone know anything about it? I wonder if, just as the news was breaking, the U.S. Government instructed the media not to cover the story.

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2006, 09:53:15 pm »
David,

I don't know if this is the same thing but a rocket was launched in New Mexico today and ended up malfunctioning and crashed to the earth. This is the link to the Fox story.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,215642,00.html

Maybe???
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2006, 10:08:31 pm »
David,

I don't know if this is the same thing but a rocket was launched in New Mexico today and ended up malfunctioning and crashed to the earth. This is the link to the Fox story.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,215642,00.html

Maybe???

It could be. It looks like this accident occurred about the same time I saw the message on the tv. I wonder why Fox News only reported it on their website and not on television? It could be the same thing. It probably is.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!  :D

injest

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2006, 10:26:14 pm »
speaking of the news covering up things...I know I saw a Fed Ex truck that blew up in a northern state...They showed the truck, the cabin and the first third of the trailer perfect the last 2/3 of the truck disintegrated....papers everywhere...

never saw it again...but later on the news they reported a FedEx truck caught fire and burned up...ummm...nooooo...there was no fire...

so yeah the government does hide things...censor them...

this was right after Sept 11..

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2006, 01:39:02 am »
speaking of the news covering up things...I know I saw a Fed Ex truck that blew up in a northern state...They showed the truck, the cabin and the first third of the trailer perfect the last 2/3 of the truck disintegrated....papers everywhere...

never saw it again...but later on the news they reported a FedEx truck caught fire and burned up...ummm...nooooo...there was no fire...

so yeah the government does hide things...censor them...

this was right after Sept 11..

Oh yes. We all know the U.S. government lies. They lie all the time. If any one of them ever had to place their hand on a bible, it would probably catch fire.

But I am still thinking about that rocket crash today and the message I briefly saw on Fox News.

"FOX NEWS ALERT. NASA Officials Invistigating Large Object Detected Near Earth"

That just doesn't sound like a news alert about a rocket crash to me. It sounds like something else.  ???

Maybe it was though. Perhaps the message was very poorly worded. But it seems like NASA would have known about a rocket being launched today in Arizona or New Mexico. So why would they be investigating a large object detected NEAR the Earth?

Maybe they were referring to that rocket crash.

This whole thing seems strange to me.  >:(

mvansand76

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2006, 11:05:44 am »
I was watching Fox News earlier today and I saw something pop up on the screen and I couldn't believe what it said. Around 12:30 pm today a small message appeared which read: "FOX NEWS ALERT. NASA Officials Invistigating Large Object Detected Near Earth" That is all it said. The Fox News Alert message was only visible on the TV screen for about 3 or 4 seconds and then disappeared. In addition, they didn't play the little sound effect (the BONG! sound) normally used at the beginning of a news alert. I never saw the message again and they never did discuss it on Fox News, nor (to my knowledge) was it ever discussed on CNN or MSNBC.

But I KNOW I saw it.

Did anyone hear about this today? Does anyone know anything about it? I wonder if, just as the news was breaking, the U.S. Government instructed the media not to cover the story.

This is really weird, but they are always covering up news about UFO's. Things that were all over the news in other countries didn't even make in the news in the US. I have told JW about this and he is not surprised at all. Great that you noticed this!  :)

mvansand76

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2006, 11:13:00 am »
Oh yes. We all know the U.S. government lies. They lie all the time. If any one of them ever had to place their hand on a bible, it would probably catch fire.

Just think of all the things that the government lied about and is still refusing to give answers about concerning September 11th 2001. Let's never forget that and let's keep urging the government to come up with answers to the thousands of questions that people are asking.

Offline ekeby

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2006, 11:55:00 am »
But I am still thinking about that rocket crash today and the message I briefly saw on Fox News.

The best place to check out reports/rumors, etc. is the Mufon network:
http://www.mufon.com/

check the sitings or post a query . . . I looked but didn't correlate anything--you may be able to though . . . by looking at state organization reports, which I didn't do . . . check it out . . . it's the best place for reasonably accurate information on this topic . . .

...and, LOL about the flaming bible . . .so true . . . I've always thought if the government is suppressing information about visitors, it's because the information would be too disturbing to Christians, etc.   My personal opinion is that a lot of the sitings of the last ten years are of government-sponsored craft(s) . . . it wouldn't surprise me . . . if a gravity-wave propulsion system (theoretically, a system that would explain the unusual movements associated with UFOs) has been developed, it would never be disclosed voluntarily . . . .

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2006, 09:40:17 pm »

That just doesn't sound like a news alert about a rocket crash to me. It sounds like something else.  ???

Actually this might be even scarier than an UFO coverup.  What if that Large Object is a large meteor that slipped past everyone?  And it's headed toward earth with every intention of bitch slapping us all over the solar system.  Yeah, they'd cut that story fast.  To stop any public panic and breakdown of civilization.

Up until it hits, of course.   :o

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2006, 10:14:14 pm »
Actually this might be even scarier than an UFO coverup.  What if that Large Object is a large meteor that slipped past everyone?  And it's headed toward earth with every intention of bitch slapping us all over the solar system.  Yeah, they'd cut that story fast.  To stop any public panic and breakdown of civilization.

Up until it hits, of course.   :o

Yes you know what that could be. a rocket wouldn't show up on radar screen as a large obect   I am sure if it was or is a meteor they wouldn't tell us anyways. Scarey!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2006, 10:36:22 pm »

Up until it hits, of course.   :o

After reading the news alert, my first thought was an asteroid or meteor. I agree with you. I imagine they would refrain from telling us about it; especially if they weren't certain whether it would hit us or not. Can you imagine the chaos it would cause? I wish Fox News would either cover the story, or if they did air the message in error, at least admit their mistake. The silence is what I find so scary. I really do think Fox wanted to cover the story, and suddenly someone instructed them not to. Why?  :(

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2006, 11:02:54 pm »
David,

would you really want to know if a large meteor was going to hit us? I dont think I would. If there is nothing we can do about it I would rather spend my last few moments or hours doing what I normally do. Reading posts on Bettermost! lol :)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,214421,00.html?sPage=fnc.science/space  heres a link to an unidentified object near the space shuttle
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 11:05:13 pm by Arad-3 »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2006, 12:50:39 am »
This is really weird, but they are always covering up news about UFO's. Things that were all over the news in other countries didn't even make in the news in the US. I have told JW about this and he is not surprised at all. Great that you noticed this!  :)

Melissa -

Did they say anything about this large object over in Holland? Please ask Jan-Willem what he thinks it might be, and post his answer here. I remember you telling me he is very interested in these kinds of things and he knows a lot about it.

You also make an interesting point. Why is the U.S. so frightened to tell us about things; especially when people in other countries already know about it? Whether it is astroids, meteors, UFOs or 9/11, I always feel like the government is NOT telling us something.

Ik ben hier niet erg blij mee!  >:(

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2006, 12:57:34 am »
David,

would you really want to know if a large meteor was going to hit us? I dont think I would. If there is nothing we can do about it I would rather spend my last few moments or hours doing what I normally do. Reading posts on Bettermost! lol :)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,214421,00.html?sPage=fnc.science/space  heres a link to an unidentified object near the space shuttle

I'm not sure. On one hand, I wouldn't want to know. It would be nice to being doing normal things, just like you said. On the other hand though, I think it would be nice if I had a chance to say goodbye to my friends and family and to tell them I love them. I also think it would be nice if I could be with my family and friends when the asteroid hit the earth.

I just don't know.

mvansand76

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2006, 09:14:04 am »
Ik ben hier niet erg blij mee!  >:(

Ik ook niet!  >:(

I told him about it, but he hadn't heard anything about it either, he did think it very strange, though!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2006, 09:55:32 pm »
Ik ook niet!  >:(

I told him about it, but he hadn't heard anything about it either, he did think it very strange, though!

Dank u vriendelijk for asking him about it. If you happen to hear something about it on your local news, please let us know.

I suppose if it was going to happen, it would have happened by now. I wonder what it was?

Maybe it was a UFO after all!  ???

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2006, 11:22:45 pm »
After reading the news alert, my first thought was an asteroid or meteor. I agree with you. I imagine they would refrain from telling us about it; especially if they weren't certain whether it would hit us or not. Can you imagine the chaos it would cause? I wish Fox News would either cover the story, or if they did air the message in error, at least admit their mistake. The silence is what I find so scary. I really do think Fox wanted to cover the story, and suddenly someone instructed them not to. Why?  :(

Ditto.  I get scared when I first hear a snippet of news that goes 'Scientists believe a large meteor will hit in the year 2012.'

Boom!  Story vanishes, then reappears later as "Scientists recalculated trajectory of the asteroid and it will come close but miss the earth..."

Um, hm.  Did the scientists mess up their trajectory math or did someone tell them to say that they did?

Worrisome.

moremojo

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2006, 10:00:42 am »
Ditto.  I get scared when I first hear a snippet of news that goes 'Scientists believe a large meteor will hit in the year 2012.'
That is the year when the current cosmological cycle according to the ancient Maya will end. Coincidence?

mvansand76

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2006, 11:26:04 am »
That is the year when the current cosmological cycle according to the ancient Maya will end. Coincidence?

Oh yes! This is very interesting, the year 2012. I bet this is no coincidence! Can't be. Isn't this also the year in which something will change to the vibrational forces (trillingskrachten, help me here David...) of the earth? Anybody?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2006, 10:46:49 pm »
Oh yes! This is very interesting, the year 2012. I bet this is no coincidence! Can't be. Isn't this also the year in which something will change to the vibrational forces (trillingskrachten, help me here David...) of the earth? Anybody?

Melissa -

Trillingskrachten sounds like a good word. If I remember my Dutch correctly, it means vibrational forces, so I think you are on the right track. I really don't know much about the Earth's vibrational forces or really anything about 2012. Actually, this is the first I have heard of it. I would love to find out more. It sounds interesting.

There is something about the number 2012 that scares me though. I'm not sure if it is something in the symmetry of the number, or if it is something I subconsciously remember hearing, but the number scares the hell out of me. There is something really wrong with that number. It gives me cold chills.   :(

injest

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2006, 12:14:15 am »
I have GOT to stop coming in here!! I get the spooks every time!

Ya'll quit making me!!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2006, 12:44:35 am »
I have GOT to stop coming in here!! I get the spooks every time!

Ya'll quit making me!!!

Ah Jess! Don't worry honey. I've got your back.

If an asteroid heads our way, I'll straddle that sucker like a bronco and point it towards Polaris.

injest

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2006, 12:54:43 am »
Ah Jess! Don't worry honey. I've got your back.

If an asteroid heads our way, I'll straddle that sucker like a bronco and point it towards Polaris.

LOL!! ride 'em cowboy!!! Yeee hawww!!!

Offline JT

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2006, 07:52:45 pm »
I do believe in UFOs and ETs but I don't think they reach earth yet.  Unless the UFO in question happens to be a cowboy hat that flew off a mountain.

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2006, 02:00:20 am »
"I'd say if it is just us... seems like an awful waste of space."
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2006, 11:50:37 am »
In Athens, Georgia 1974, I had a huge triangular-shaped craft fly over my car, just above treetop level. No sound at all.  Later, especially since we live near Whiteman AFB and see the Stealth occasionally, I've wondered if it was an experimental version of that as the Stealth has the same basic shape. But I think that unlikely because

(1) The Stealth is called that because it can fly under radar: it's as far from silent as you can get. Even when it goes by at a high altitude, the whole sky seems to vibrate; and

(2) Even speculating that this was an experimental version in 1974, it would be quite out of character to be testing it out right in the middle of a densely populated area.

I'm quite comfortable with the idea of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe, although IMO they'd have to have far more sophisticated technology than what exists on Earth to cope with the distances involved.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2006, 09:45:38 pm »
In Athens, Georgia 1974, I had a huge triangular-shaped craft fly over my car, just above treetop level. No sound at all.  Later, especially since we live near Whiteman AFB and see the Stealth occasionally, I've wondered if it was an experimental version of that as the Stealth has the same basic shape.

I was watching a documentary on the Travel Channel a couple of months ago and some of the people interviewed on the program described seeing a similar craft. It was spotted over Illinois and a few people even drew sketches of the craft.

It was pretty spooky looking too.

Offline JT

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2006, 01:22:49 pm »
In Athens, Georgia 1974, I had a huge triangular-shaped craft fly over my car, just above treetop level. No sound at all.  Later, especially since we live near Whiteman AFB and see the Stealth occasionally, I've wondered if it was an experimental version of that as the Stealth has the same basic shape. But I think that unlikely because

(1) The Stealth is called that because it can fly under radar: it's as far from silent as you can get. Even when it goes by at a high altitude, the whole sky seems to vibrate; and

(2) Even speculating that this was an experimental version in 1974, it would be quite out of character to be testing it out right in the middle of a densely populated area.

I'm quite comfortable with the idea of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe, although IMO they'd have to have far more sophisticated technology than what exists on Earth to cope with the distances involved.

Maybe it was just a huge hang glider. j/k  Did you see it during the day or night?  Was it really fast or slow?  It does sound a tad spooky, but if it was an ET craft, they would probably have to travel far faster than light-speed to reach us.  It could be an experiment of sort.  Here in Vegas, people always talk about Area 51, but I've never seen anything out of the ordinary...yet.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2006, 09:05:43 am »
Maybe it was just a huge hang glider.

This craft was slightly lighted up. I didn't see anything like lights on a plane, just a kind of green glow but it was definitely lighted some way.

Did you see it during the day or night?  Was it really fast or slow?

It was at night, and it was traveling very fast.

It does sound a tad spooky, but if it was an ET craft, they would probably have to travel far faster than light-speed to reach us. 

IMO, for anyone to travel around space with the distances involved, there would have to be some completely different kind of technology involved, as even the speed of light would not be enough for some distances. And of course, an ET craft being seen above the ground on Earth wouldn't necessarily be traveling at the speed of light at that point.

Offline JT

« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2006, 11:41:50 am »
This craft was slightly lighted up. I didn't see anything like lights on a plane, just a kind of green glow but it was definitely lighted some way.

It was at night, and it was traveling very fast.

IMO, for anyone to travel around space with the distances involved, there would have to be some completely different kind of technology involved, as even the speed of light would not be enough for some distances. And of course, an ET craft being seen above the ground on Earth wouldn't necessarily be traveling at the speed of light at that point.

Sounds rather spooky all right.  It would required a technology beyond our comprehension to get here.  Have you seen it more that once?  Sorry for being nosy but that sounds interesting.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2006, 10:40:18 pm »
You know, it always makes me wonder.  I can defintely understand the descriptions of UFOs by daylight, but at night, sometimes the UFO reports talk about balls of light or light streaks or something lit up.

Why would a UFO - as in extraterrestrial spaceship - need to be lit up at night?  Even our airplanes are not lit up at night.  They just have navigation lights and whatever light can be seen from the cabins.  But those are internal lights.

Why would an extraterrestrial spaceship need to be lit up like a Xmas tree or advertising blimp?

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2006, 11:41:35 am »
Why would a UFO - as in extraterrestrial spaceship - need to be lit up at night?

Because the beings in it need light to see by?

Even our airplanes are not lit up at night.  They just have navigation lights and whatever light can be seen from the cabins.  But those are internal lights.

Well, I guess if it had navigation lights and lights seen from the cabins, it would be a plane. An IFO, not a UFO.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2006, 10:23:18 pm »

On the outside of their ship?  A ship of a race of people who have the technology to travel a gazillion light years 
and they need headlights on their ship to steer by?   :-\

Well, I guess if it had navigation lights and lights seen from the cabins, it would be a plane. An IFO, not a UFO.

The thought was that WE don't even need lights on the outside of our flying objects.  Why would a race of beings, fantastically more advanced than us, need them?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2006, 12:42:54 am »
On the outside of their ship?  A ship of a race of people who have the technology to travel a gazillion light years 
and they need headlights on their ship to steer by?   :-\

The thought was that WE don't even need lights on the outside of our flying objects.  Why would a race of beings, fantastically more advanced than us, need them?

Delalluvia -

:-*

Maybe they just want their ship to look pretty.

If I was an alien I would try to make my space ship look as fabulous as possible. Of course I'm gay, so this is to be expected.

....and I would make absolutely sure my spaceship was built in the shape of a *beep!*

Ooops! Sorry about that you all. I got carried away.

God it's hot in here.  ;)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2006, 10:09:27 pm »
Delalluvia -

:-*

Maybe they just want their ship to look pretty.

If I was an alien I would try to make my space ship look as fabulous as possible. Of course I'm gay, so this is to be expected.

....and I would make absolutely sure my spaceship was built in the shape of a *beep!*

Ooops! Sorry about that you all. I got carried away.

God it's hot in here.  ;)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Would you paint it 'lavender' and call it 'Priscilla'?   ;)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2006, 12:22:49 am »

Many people have described seeing the very same thing you saw. I have watched documentaries on the Travel Channel, Sci-Fi and Discovery Channel about this too, and some of the crafts they show also sound similar. So there must be something to this.

injest

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2006, 02:48:40 am »
I saw a show on the Discovery channel, where they were talking about these people that had a certain kind of surgery on their brains. When the people woke up from the surgery some of them claimed that aliens had kidnapped them and did experiments on them.

Investigation brought out that the people who made those claims had all had surgery on a certain spot in their brains. So they did an experiment and used volunteers. They electrically stimulated that spot and every one of the volunteers woke up and said the aliens had been there...

Weird huh? but interesting...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2006, 10:17:45 pm »
I saw a show on the Discovery channel, where they were talking about these people that had a certain kind of surgery on their brains. When the people woke up from the surgery some of them claimed that aliens had kidnapped them and did experiments on them.

Investigation brought out that the people who made those claims had all had surgery on a certain spot in their brains. So they did an experiment and used volunteers. They electrically stimulated that spot and every one of the volunteers woke up and said the aliens had been there...

Weird huh? but interesting...

That is interesting Jess. While I do believe in alien space crafts visiting us, I never really did buy into those "alien abduction" stories. But after reading what you just posted, now I am thinking twice about it. Maybe it really does happen sometimes.  ???

injest

« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2006, 10:23:42 pm »
I didn't write clear enough...The scientist were saying that the stories of abduction were a PRODUCT of electrical malfunction in a certain area of the brain...

an hallucination if you will...they were struck that all the volunteers 'remembered' the same details...

so maybe it is a form of epilepsy or something...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2006, 10:28:39 pm »
I didn't write clear enough...The scientist were saying that the stories of abduction were a PRODUCT of electrical malfunction in a certain area of the brain...

an hallucination if you will...they were struck that all the volunteers 'remembered' the same details...

Okay. Well, I haven't seen an alien yet, so I guess I don't have epilepsy.

I never really did believe in those alien abduction stories.

For a minute there, I was afraid I was going to have to start shopping for a can of alien repellent.

injest

« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2006, 10:37:45 pm »
well it is only a theory...and I can discuss it right now cause my hubby is still up and all the lights are on...as soon as he goes off to bed?? I will run out of this thread in a heartbeat...

I don't know why I am so taken with hearing the stories; cause it is very scary to me...I think it is very possible that there are aliens out there...but I don't want to see one!  EVER!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2006, 11:39:13 pm »
well it is only a theory...and I can discuss it right now cause my hubby is still up and all the lights are on...as soon as he goes off to bed?? I will run out of this thread in a heartbeat...

I don't know why I am so taken with hearing the stories; cause it is very scary to me...I think it is very possible that there are aliens out there...but I don't want to see one!  EVER!

But what if they are already here? What if you have seen one?

Maybe aliens look exactly like we do... and they are walking among us.

I've heard this theory tossed around a few times.

injest

« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2006, 11:43:51 pm »
well see that would be ok...as long as they LOOK like us and don't have scary powers like laser vision or something I am fine with it!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2006, 12:05:18 am »

I strongly suggest you never read 'Communion' or 'Majestic' by Whitley Strieber.  The guy is a famous writer, wrote some good sci-fi novels and strongly believes he is and continues to be and has in the past been abducted by aliens.

The guy went to college here in Texas back in the 60's.  He has this dream-like recollection of the Whitman shooting from the University of Texas tower and his description of the huge Texas sky after his abduction - 'like a great eye staring down at me' gives me chills to this day.

Do not read these books at night, or alone.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 12:07:03 am by delalluvia »

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2006, 12:08:47 am »

Yeah, I saw those specials too.  They think that such alien abduction stories are simply people experiencing brain chemistry gone awry.

Similar results have been reported with near death experiences.  People from all walks of life from all over the world and in different times have reported the same phenomenon.

Offline ekeby

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2006, 02:47:05 pm »
Yeah, I saw those specials too.  They think that such alien abduction stories are simply people experiencing brain chemistry gone awry.

Similar results have been reported with near death experiences.  People from all walks of life from all over the world and in different times have reported the same phenomenon.

I think a lot of them are too. I've even experienced those paralyzing "night terrors" . . . you're conscious but unable to move or speak . . . believe me, they are very, very frightening. On the other hand, if you've ever seen the documentary about the "original" abductees, Betty and Barney Hill, it's very convincing. . . .

Offline Kelpersmek

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2006, 07:39:16 pm »
I believe!  O0

In a universe this size it would be unlikely that life has not formed up elsewhere.
Does it travel around in spaceships?  Has other life visited earth?  I'd have to say I find that very unlikely.  While we have only a partial grasp on physics, it is outside our realms of experience that such a thing is possible.  If we did see somethin capable of space travel, again I can't see little atmosphere capable ships popping in for a quick abduction.

Regarding abductees, I believe that most of them are convinced of their experiences.  They're not crazy, they just underwent something as vivid as real life.  Doesn't make it real, but if you have a totally real experience, how could you tell it apart from everyday things?

Is there life in our own solar system?  Possibly. 
Where?  I'd check Uranus  ;D
"RAW PRAWN!!!! ->

Wait, my mistake, it's a lobster.  I love that fic!"
-Merrobot

Offline JT

« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2006, 02:25:46 pm »
I think a lot of them are too. I've even experienced those paralyzing "night terrors" . . . you're conscious but unable to move or speak . . . believe me, they are very, very frightening.

I think this is related to sleep paralysis and lucid dreams.  I have them frequently and when I was a kid, it was very frightening.  You hear sounds and see things in your dream, but you can not move and yet you're awake.  Very frightening for those who experience it for the first time.

Is there life in our own solar system?  Possibly. 
Where?  I'd check Uranus 

You naughty thing!  But you're absolutely right.  That place is teeming with life.  And you don't have to go very far either.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2006, 02:44:22 pm »
I certainly don't think we're alone in the universe - that's just ridiculously narrow-minded thinking, in my view.  But I question whether "intelligent" life forms from other worlds have actually made it to ours - it seems like they're just plain too far away.  Ah, but then maybe I'm just employing ridiculously narrow-minded thinking in that view.

Some people find the thought of there being perhaps millions and millions, as Carl Sagan used to say, of other planets out there with intelligent life overwhelming - it makes them feel insignificant.  I guess I like that feeling.  I like the idea that someone or something on another world is looking at the light from some of the same stars as I am - perhaps even the light from our star - and wondering if someone or something like me is doing the same.
No more beans!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2006, 08:31:44 pm »
Do you all want my 2 cents worth?

It doesn't matter, because I'm going to tell you anyway.  :D

The Universe is infinate. There is no brick wall at the end which reads "You have now reached the end of the Universe". And even if there was, what is on the other side of the wall? Or does the thickness of the wall continue on forever?

Some people have tried to say the Universe is actually a sphere and if you travel far enough, you will end up right back where you started. Okay. What is on the outside of the sphere? More Universe.

Since the Universe is infinate, the planets and stars are also infinate. Where space exists, the possibility of something occupying that space also exists.

Therefore, there are infinate possibilities for life (of any form) to exist, as well as infinate possibilities for intelligent life.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2006, 09:08:57 pm »
But what about the restaurant at the end of the universe???  ;)

(I'm once again dating myself *and* showing my dorkiness at the same time.)
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2006, 11:34:34 pm »
But what about the restaurant at the end of the universe???  ;)

Yoiu don't have to date yourself.  'Hitchhiker's Guide' movie just came out last year.  I love Douglas Adams.  His play on words is wonderful.  The 'end of the universe' isn't what you first think it is. 

Plus I've been trying to remember the line from the book that talks about UFO contacts being - and let me try to quote -  'rich kids who buzz planets that haven't made contact yet...they strut up and down in front of some poor sap no one is ever going to believe wearing antenna and making beeping noises.  Rather childish, actually."

and

On the other hand, if you've ever seen the documentary about the "original" abductees, Betty and Barney Hill, it's very convincing. . .

I, too, really got into their story, until Skeptical Inquirer magazine did a story on them and threw a lot of doubt on it.  Turns out Barney was very susceptible to suggestion, Betty was an excellent storyteller and the aliens that both Barney and Betty drew - the classic 'gray' that everyone nowadays sees - was a monster character on a TV show that was shown earlier that season before Barney and Betty's experience.  I think it was 'Twilight Zone' or 'Outer Limits' or something like that.

Offline Kelpersmek

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2006, 04:25:35 pm »

But under your photo you have the quote "I'm the son of rage anf love" and that redeems you for 114 Dorkiness points.  Brings you well clear of dorkdom  :)

I'll dork myself up a bit for comparison:
If the universe is spherical (actually, I've heard people talking about it being 'pringle' shaped) then when you travel you curve back in on yourself.  What is beyond those boundaries?  Nothing, but not in the sense of empty space.  Nothing as in non-existance, a lack of eveything, including time and space.  There are no dimentions in which to move about, therefore talking about distance is meaningless.

We find it hard to visuzlise because we are creatures of space, and it is intrinsically against every experience we have.  It's tempting to think of it as a big void, but it's not even that.  You can't go there, because there does not exist.  You can't go to the edge because by curving back in upon itself it has no edge.  ???
"RAW PRAWN!!!! ->

-Merrobot

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2006, 04:53:19 pm »

We find it hard to visuzlise because we are creatures of space, and it is intrinsically against every experience we have.  It's tempting to think of it as a big void, but it's not even that.  You can't go there, because there does not exist.  You can't go to the edge because by curving back in upon itself it has no edge.  ???

We are also creatures of time and we have problems comprehending a concept such as infinity or eternity.

But our inability to comprehend it doesn't mean it is impossible or it couldn't exist.

Offline Kelpersmek

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2006, 05:07:01 pm »
I think that the nothingness beyond the universe does exist in that it doesn't.  Umm...  ???
That is I believe in something which doesn't exist.  umm...  :-\

I believe in a thing called non-existance and that it does exist... argh!  ::)

So, yeah, I agree.  Just because we can't think of a nothing doesnt mean there isn't/is one.
<sigh> See, we even lack the language to discuss a void  :-\

"RAW PRAWN!!!! ->

-Merrobot

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2006, 08:17:50 pm »
What is beyond those boundaries?  Nothing, but not in the sense of empty space.  Nothing as in non-existance, a lack of eveything, including time and space.  There are no dimentions in which to move about

Which of course, then begs the question which always floors me.

If there is non-existence beyond the universe...what is the unverse expanding into?  It can't expand into something that doesn't exist.  So SOMEthing has to exist.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2006, 01:29:20 am »
If there is non-existence beyond the universe...what is the unverse expanding into?

Was it Hitchhiker's Guuide that said the answer is '23'? :)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2006, 07:12:12 am »
Was it Hitchhiker's Guuide that said the answer is '23'? :)

42  :)

Offline opinionista

« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2006, 07:32:56 am »
I have never seen an UFO ever in my life. However, I wonder if there is life on the earth, why can't there be life someplace else? I just don't see why we have to be the only living beings in the entire universe.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2006, 11:07:03 pm »
Absolutely, without a doubt!  I just recently watched a show on The History channel dealing with correlations between stories in the Bible and UFOs/E.T.s as interpreted by todays ideas.  Particularily interesting was the story of Elija being taken into a "chariot of fire", drawn by 4 great white horses across the heavens, never to be seen again. The interpretation was a spaceship, and it occurred to me that if people can believe some of the more colorful stories in the Bible with absolute conviction, why is it so far-fetched to believe in spaceships and E.T.s?

E.T.s have been on this planet from the beginning; they are among us today, and they will be here when this world ends..hopefully to transport humans to another place and survive the destruction of Earth.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2006, 02:17:04 am »

E.T.s have been on this planet from the beginning; they are among us today, and they will be here when this world ends..hopefully to transport humans to another place and survive the destruction of Earth.

I sure hope your right. At the rate we are going, we'll probably need to catch a lift from them sooner than we think.  :(

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2006, 07:06:35 pm »
I agree with you David..probably by 2050 or earlier :laugh: :laugh:
But seriously, from several different sources (the Bible, Nostradamus, Aztec, Mayan,Inca and other native peoples predications) the date for the destruction of the world is between 2023 and 2035, most have fallen between 2023 and 2025...Doug

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2006, 07:11:51 pm »
But seriously, from several different sources (the Bible, Nostradamus, Aztec, Mayan,Inca and other native peoples predications) the date for the destruction of the world is between 2023 and 2035, most have fallen between 2023 and 2025...Doug

Nostradamus was still predicting things to happen in the year 3000+ c.e., so he might need to be left off that list.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2006, 07:14:28 pm »

Doug (is it okay if I call you Doug?), somebody mentioned 2012 a few weeks ago. If you peruse this thread (it is probably about 2 pages back from this one) you will see it. There is something tricky about that number. For some reason 2012 doesn't look right. It gives me the creeps.

moremojo

« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2006, 08:03:18 pm »
Doug (is it okay if I call you Doug?), somebody mentioned 2012 a few weeks ago. If you peruse this thread (it is probably about 2 pages back from this one) you will see it. There is something tricky about that number. For some reason 2012 doesn't look right. It gives me the creeps.
Yes, the ancient Maya calendar is scheduled to end on the occasion of the solstice on December 21, 2012. Apparently, they and other ancient Mesoamerican peoples who shared or inherited their system of reckoning time believed that the current cosmic cycle would end on that date.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2006, 09:03:17 pm »

I wouldn't worry too much about the Mayan prophecies.  After all, the Mayans also believed that a steady stream of ritual human sacrifice kept the cosmos in balance and daily blood letting in honor of the gods kept them happy.

Obiviously the cosmos still exists and the gods remain enigmatic even without these religious activities occuring.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2006, 12:34:39 am »
I wouldn't worry too much about the Mayan prophecies.  After all, the Mayans also believed that a steady stream of ritual human sacrifice kept the cosmos in balance and daily blood letting in honor of the gods kept them happy.

Obiviously the cosmos still exists and the gods remain enigmatic even without these religious activities occuring.

Well, Mayan prophecies or no, I still say there is something very wrong with that number. Take a look at it...

Doesn't that number give you cold chills?  :(

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2006, 03:21:05 pm »
Yes, David. You may call me by my name.  It's more personal than a screen name.
I do recall the number 2012 from something, but don 't remember just what it was.  However, I don't see anything in that number, except it is only 6 years away.  Am I missing something that has drawn you to it?  Please elaborate.  Thanks..Doug

injest

« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2007, 06:48:13 pm »
Hey, David....don't look at these pictures at night by yourself!!

(I know that they are PROBABLY faked...but STILL!! EEEEEEEE!!!)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

(the ones where the 'objects' weren't seen by anyone...that just showed up on the picture are the scariest to me!!)

http://www.bltresearch.com/eyewitness6.html

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • No man is an island
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2007, 07:24:27 pm »
The UK Ministry of Defence is soon to release its UFO investigation records.  They have so many enquiries from the public that it will cheaper to release the papers rather than have to respond to each enquiry which they are obliged to do so under some sort of freedom of information act, if only to say they can't release the information!   People are hoping there will be something on a notorious event at an American Airbase in the 80s I think.  2 or 3 people went out to investigate an event in nearby woods & there is apparently a recording made of their conversations as they investigated. 

There seem to be quite a few UFO sightings from military pilots, who are credible witnesses.  I would hate to see one, as it would be something I couldn't explain & that would drive me crazy! ( Crazier  ;D )

I have a morbid fear of driving alone at night & seeing an alien in the back seat when I check the rear view mirror - I saw an illustration of this scene in a book I had on UFOs when I was younger & it really stayed with me. *shivers*
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

injest

« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2007, 07:33:57 pm »
The UK Ministry of Defence is soon to release its UFO investigation records.  They have so many enquiries from the public that it will cheaper to release the papers rather than have to respond to each enquiry which they are obliged to do so under some sort of freedom of information act, if only to say they can't release the information!   People are hoping there will be something on a notorious event at an American Airbase in the 80s I think.  2 or 3 people went out to investigate an event in nearby woods & there is apparently a recording made of their conversations as they investigated. 

There seem to be quite a few UFO sightings from military pilots, who are credible witnesses.  I would hate to see one, as it would be something I couldn't explain & that would drive me crazy! ( Crazier  ;D )

I have a morbid fear of driving alone at night & seeing an alien in the back seat when I check the rear view mirror - I saw an illustration of this scene in a book I had on UFOs when I was younger & it really stayed with me. *shivers*

SHIVER NOTHING!! Shake and hide under the bed!! LOL!

I don't want to see one either...ever!

I think I have heard about the one you are talking about. I like to read about that stuff during the day...but when it gets dark I don't!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2007, 11:07:52 pm »
Those are some spooky pictures Jess. I think a few of them have been dolled up, but there are a couple that look totally legit.

Spooky. Very spooky.

injest

« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2007, 07:21:16 pm »
Those are some spooky pictures Jess. I think a few of them have been dolled up, but there are a couple that look totally legit.

Spooky. Very spooky.

>:( >:(

you wasn't supposed to look at them in the DARK!! You coulda been scared!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2007, 08:01:24 pm »

We don't fear in the 'back seat' alien sightings, but my sister and I are well aware of those lonely back roads at night that you always read about people having their encounters and my sister and I sometimes find ourselves lost on some back Texas road and say to each other..."Hmmm, this is 'missing time' country."

My sister and her daughter recently passed through Roswell and she DID spy something in the sky during the early morning that she didn't know what it was.  She reacted the same way all those people in abduction scenarios reacted "What the hell is that?"  She did keep an eye on her watch and clock in the car...just in case she lost time.  :)

If you ever read Whitley Streiber's "Majestic" you'll get a godawful feeling about Texas skies (he recollects several abductions from his early years in Texas).  I don't recommend you read that book or his "Communion" alone at night.  :-\

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2007, 09:39:51 pm »
If you ever read Whitley Streiber's "Majestic" you'll get a godawful feeling about Texas skies (he recollects several abductions from his early years in Texas).  I don't recommend you read that book or his "Communion" alone at night.  :-\

Oh, God, I bought a copy of something by Whitley Streiber--I think it was Communion--in paperback something like 20 years ago. I couldn't read the whole thing. True or not, it scared the bejeezus out of me.

Same thing for another book, the title of which, thankfully, I forgot a long time ago, that detailed other close encounters of the third kind. One of the scariest, for me, was an account of an experience a woman allegedly had in Provincetown, Massachusetts--which just happens to be my regular summer holiday haven. To this day, that story is always in the back of my mind when I'm alone late at night on the streets of Provincetown.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2007, 09:50:06 pm »
Alone at night on the streets of PTOWN?       

Geez!   it is never empty!     Oh wait.... Late at night?     I thought the walk of shame was the morning after?      :laugh:

Try two o'clock in the morning when the whole town is still gathered in front of the pizza parlor. Those streets in the East End or the West End can be spooky.

Boo!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2007, 01:49:16 am »
Eww!

Where can I buy these books? They sound really spooky!  :D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2007, 08:47:04 am »
Eww!

Where can I buy these books? They sound really spooky!  :D

Communion came out in the late 1980s. Better try Amazon.  :-\

Scott6373

« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2007, 09:04:22 am »
The question that pops in my mind is, why would they want to come here?  I mean we are destroying the planet, collectively, we aren't very smart, we just adore conflict, and other than the music of Mozart and his cronies, what could they be interested in?

I think our enormous egos makes us think  that any race of beings capable of tavelling here, would even want to in the first place.

Yikes...that was a rant.  Pardon me   :-X

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2007, 09:17:49 am »
The question that pops in my mind is, why would they want to come here?

Isn't there an old joke floating around somewhere that Earth is where the rest of the Universe dumps all its crazy people?  ;D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2007, 05:42:54 pm »
>:( >:(

you wasn't supposed to look at them in the DARK!! You coulda been scared!

:laugh:  :laugh:

A few of them DID scare me! But most of them can be easily explained Jess.

The "zipper" picture is clearly a camera cord. I don't know if this was done intentionally or on accident. Often times those "vortex" ghost pictures are actually camera cords getting in the way of the camera lens.

The "orb" pictures are most likely caused by dust. This happens frequently with digital cameras. Sometimes a bug flying in front of the camera will cause an orb effect too. Often times, people will be fooled into thinking they actually captured a ghost on film when they see this anomaly in their pictures. But it's almost always due to dust or bugs. If they had taken these pictures with a film camera, I might be a little more impressed, but I feel pretty certain most or all of those photographs were taken with digital cameras.

The "exploding" car, as well as the sparks reflecting off people's eyeglasses can be achieved by opposing the camera's aperture with an acceptable shutter speed (bulb,or indefinite amount of time the shutter remains open). You've probably seen pictures taken at night where the lights from cars travelling down the street look like streaks of light. Same thing here.

The "tube" and "saucer" pictures look a bit tricky too. If you look closely, it appears as if those images were cut and pasted from another picture, the sharp edges of the inserted image then blurred or smoothed in order to make it appear as if it belongs in the photo. I'm not certain, but it sure does look like a badly done "cut and paste" job to me.

The "disappearing color" from some of the photos was probably caused by the camera's infrared, or night vision system. Many cameras these days have such a system; even many film SLR cameras. If the infrared is used without a flash, the resulting image will appear as muddy gray, or sometimes green. So no big deal there either.

I'm hoping the photographer is inexperienced and is not trying to dupe the Internet community. But who knows?

A few of those pictures are very spooky though, because I have no explanation, and I got cold chills when I looked at them.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2007, 12:13:39 am »
Isn't there an old joke floating around somewhere that Earth is where the rest of the Universe dumps all its crazy people?  ;D

I don't know about Earth Jeff, but I have heard it said about Indiana.  :-\

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2007, 11:26:08 am »
I don't know about Earth Jeff, but I have heard it said about Indiana.  :-\

The rest of the Universe dumps its crazy people in Indiana?  :o

injest

« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2007, 11:54:21 pm »
The question that pops in my mind is, why would they want to come here?  I mean we are destroying the planet, collectively, we aren't very smart, we just adore conflict, and other than the music of Mozart and his cronies, what could they be interested in?

I think our enormous egos makes us think  that any race of beings capable of tavelling here, would even want to in the first place.

Yikes...that was a rant.  Pardon me   :-X

but WE have PUPPIES!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2007, 12:05:52 am »
but WE have PUPPIES!!

And kittens!  :D

But I understand what Scott means. I've wondered about it too. Why us? Maybe they are trying to warn us. Maybe they want to tell us we are in terrible danger if we don't stop what we're doing.

Maybe they come here just to have a good laugh.   :-\

injest

« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2007, 12:26:01 am »
nope...they are coming for the puppies!

(and the kittens!)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2007, 12:31:37 am »
The rest of the Universe dumps its crazy people in Indiana?  :o

Apparently you've never been to Indiana Jeff, or you wouldn't even be asking that question!  :laugh:

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2007, 10:41:00 am »

I have never seen a UFO and I have no proof that they exist. However, having said that, I definitely believe that it would be supremely arrogant of me to think that this tiny little insignificant speck situated within the infinite vastness of limitless space, is the only place that has life on it. Whether that other life is the type we see in Hollywood movies is disputable. Interesting thread, David.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #104 on: April 08, 2009, 07:19:13 pm »
Just a bump.  We were briefly mentioning the Mayans on the The 13th thread and their prediction for 2012.  All the planets line up, supposed to be a harbinger of doom.

Just read in a magazine that this has happened before in our past - planets lining up with the center of the galaxy.  And what horrible thing happened way back then?

Paintings starting appearing on the walls of caves in France.  Cave people created art. ;D

I really don't think we have anything to worry about.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2009, 07:47:25 pm »
I don't believe that UFOs are from other planets/galaxies but I do believe that there is "intelligent" life on other planets.  It's just the law of averages, The univers is rather big so Earth can't be the ONLY planet in a "Goldy-Locks" zone that can support life as we know it. 

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2009, 04:54:48 pm »
I started wondering if maybe UFOs are people (humans) from the future. :-\

Just think about it. If time travel is possible, it is very likely at some point in the future we will figure out how to do it. Maybe those UFOs are people from 5,000 years in the future coming back to visit the past. Or maybe coming back to rewrite history in order to avoid some horrible event - some terrible mistake we are about to make.

I don't know.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2009, 05:07:19 pm »

Just think about it. If time travel is possible, it is very likely at some point in the future we will figure out how to do it. Maybe those UFOs are people from 5,000 years in the future coming back to visit the past. Or maybe coming back to rewrite history in order to avoid some horrible event - some terrible mistake we are about to make.

I don't know.

Bush is still alive, so your theory is weak. :laugh:
I love the idea though, you never know.  Unfortunately, I usually get a headache when contemplating time travel.  I'm re-reading Hawkings' A BRIEF HISTORY OF TIME, and I'm still having difficulty wrapping my head around the concept.  And it's even the illustrated edition!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 17, 2009, 09:14:31 am »

I don't know.

That's a fascinating hypothesis, David. I personally believe that if people could be visiting us from the future, they would only be able to observe,  and not change anything or interfere in any way. Because if they did change anything, it would impact on the very future they themselves are experiencing. I think I know what I just said.  :-\ 

One thing's for sure, I'm thoroughly enjoying the television program, "Life on Mars,"  which portrays a man involuntarily time traveling back to 1973, from 2009. And no, I don't like it just because of the cute star, Jason O'Mara.  ;)  He sure is cute though and I bet he's even cuter when he speaks with his native Irish accent!  :D

Jason O'Mara
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline oilgun

« Reply #109 on: April 17, 2009, 11:56:34 am »

One thing's for sure, I'm thoroughly enjoying the television program, "Life on Mars,"  which portrays a man involuntarily time traveling back to 1973, from 2009. And no, I don't like it just because of the cute star, Jason O'Mara.  ;)  He sure is cute though and I bet he's even cuter when he speaks with his native Irish accent!  :D

Jason O'Mara

I loved that show as well but I'm told it's been cancelled, which is rather upsetting.  It seems everytime I get hooked on a show it disappears.  :-\

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #110 on: April 17, 2009, 06:32:21 pm »

I don't know.

There are many theories about what UFOs might be.

My favorite one is that they're manifestations in our dimension of other dimensional objects.  They're not like anything here and we can't figure out what they are because we're not seeing the whole whatever-it-is.

The example was made of a person living in a 2 dimensional world.  Everything is flat and on one plane, like a Cartesian grid.  Now imagine dipping a 3 dimensional beach ball into their 'flat' world.  What would a beach ball look like to them?  They can't see the whole thing, they just suddenly see only a portion - a multi-colored curved line in the sky.

So here we are living in a 3 dimensional world when something from a 4-5-6-7-8 dimension protrudes into our reality.  What would we see?   ???  A UFO maybe?

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 17, 2009, 07:14:12 pm »
I loved that show as well but I'm told it's been cancelled, which is rather upsetting.  It seems everytime I get hooked on a show it disappears.  :-\

:'(       :'(       :'(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #112 on: April 17, 2009, 08:10:00 pm »
to celebrate Spring....

the first crop circle of the year!!!.

April 14 near Avebury, Wiltshire, England in a field of yellow flowering canola

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2009, 10:20:38 pm »
Along the same lines as the  extra-dimensional perception thing, it was explained to me like this:

Imagine you're a mouse in a tabletop maze in a laboratory. Your mouse senses only allow you to perceive length and breadth, but not depth. Therefore, as you scurry about inside the maze, you have no perception that there's a group of scientists leaning over you, observing your every move. All you are capable of perceiving is the maze you're enclosed within.

This analogy could also be applied to ghosts and other paranormal phenomena. Are you really alone in that room, sitting at your PC? 
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #114 on: April 17, 2009, 10:48:10 pm »
see? I just peek in for ONE minute and someone gives me the heeby jeebies!!