Author Topic: The "I LOVE everything Ennis" thread  (Read 42394 times)

TJ

Re: roboy's "I love everything Ennis"
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2006, 07:08:35 pm »
Those on-screen beers that Ennis drank in the Riverton Apartment while waiting for Jack to arrive, did he chug-a-lug them or did he take his time drinking them?

In the book, Ennis is apparently completely sober when Jack finally shows up in the late afternoon after Ennis waited all the day long. Annie Proulx has Ennis mentioning going out with Jack and getting drunk, as opposed to Alma's idea of going to a restaurant/cafe to eat. And, in the book, it was Jack who ran up the stairs to where Ennis was standing.

I love the fact that Ennis was sort of like a kid anxiously waiting for the delivery of a coveted toy at home to come by parcel post. That is implied in the movie and in the book, too.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2006, 07:24:08 pm »
Amanda, you are right, of course, and very fair. Beyond my own unavoidable preference I'm not crazy about the pitting either, though mainly because Ennis usually fares worse. I always feel bad for him and want to leap to his defense, or at least offer some balance to the Jackophilia.

For a while on imdb, I considered starting a thread called "in defense of Ennis," because I feel he frequently gets judged too harshly. But the "ILE Ennis" thread goes a long way in that direction.

LOL, I love the idea of "Jackophilia".  :D  I'm certainly guilty of this. 

Hmmm, back to normal now...

I love Ennis for humming when he's around Jack.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2006, 03:35:22 am »
In the short story:
I love Ennis telling Jack "Took me about a year a figure out it was that I shouldn't a let you out a my sights. Too late then by a long, long while."

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2006, 04:36:04 am »
In the short story:
I love Ennis telling Jack "Took me about a year a figure out it was that I shouldn't a let you out a my sights. Too late then by a long, long while."

For me, the movie Ennis is oh so much more poignant - His attempt at vomiting, and his wall punching is this intensive reaction to the seperation that tells oh so much more that the line in the book. I do love Ennis' intense emotion at that moment - gets to me so much more effectively than in the telling.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2006, 06:29:49 am »
For me, the movie Ennis is oh so much more poignant - His attempt at vomiting, and his wall punching is this intensive reaction to the seperation that tells oh so much more that the line in the book. I do love Ennis' intense emotion at that moment - gets to me so much more effectively than in the telling

Yes, I agree with that. It's even more touching in the movie. In fact, this is the point where I start tearing up for the first time during the movie (not at my first viewing, but at repeated viewings).
But I love that story Ennis is more capable of showing his feelings towards Jack. Same in the "Tell you what - truth is, sometimes I miss you so bad..."-scene. Jack's words in the story are different but Ennis then puts his arm around Jack and pulls him close. And Jack needs this so badly and he deserves it so much. And I love story Ennis for doing it.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 06:51:15 am by Penthesilea »

TJ

« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2006, 10:18:49 am »
In the short story:

For me, the movie Ennis is oh so much more poignant - His attempt at vomiting, and his wall punching is this intensive reaction to the seperation that tells oh so much more that the line in the book. I do love Ennis' intense emotion at that moment - gets to me so much more effectively than in the telling.

I ask this question in relation to what your response was, "Why didn't they have Ennis driving his own truck like in the book version?"

They could have had Ennis's face showing that he was getting a queasy feeling while he was behind the wheel and then do the same dramatic thing of banging his head against the truck instead of a wall.

There are many things in the story which could have been adapted for the movie and left in the same location as in the book. When Ennis mentions the thing that grabbed them at the wrong place, he said it in the Motel Siesta while not too far from the Riverton Apartment. In the movie, Ennis did not say it until the next night when they were camping out and sitting by a campfire.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2006, 11:15:57 am »
For me, the movie Ennis is oh so much more poignant - His attempt at vomiting, and his wall punching is this intensive reaction to the seperation that tells oh so much more that the line in the book. I do love Ennis' intense emotion at that moment - gets to me so much more effectively than in the telling

Yes, I agree with that. It's even more touching in the movie. In fact, this is the point where I start tearing up for the first time during the movie (not at my first viewing, but at repeated viewings).
But I love that story Ennis is more capable of showing his feelings towards Jack. Same in the "Tell you what - truth is, sometimes I miss you so bad..."-scene. Jack's words in the story are different but Ennis then puts his arm around Jack and pulls him close. And Jack needs this so badly and he deserves it so much. And I love story Ennis for doing it.

Maybe we need two threads: "I love everything Story Ennis" and "I love everything Movie Ennis." I would post on the latter much more often because, like you guys, I love the poignancy of all ME's conflicting emotions. SE is much more emotionally direct. The tender words are nice, but wouldn't fit ME. If ME could express his feelings as openly as SE, he wouldn't be ME.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2006, 05:17:06 pm »
Maybe we need two threads: "I love everything Story Ennis" and "I love everything Movie Ennis." I would post on the latter much more often because, like you guys, I love the poignancy of all ME's conflicting emotions. SE is much more emotionally direct. The tender words are nice, but wouldn't fit ME. If ME could express his feelings as openly as SE, he wouldn't be ME.

Katherine -

You Go Girl.

I like seeing a long "I love everything Ennis" thread, but maybe others will prefer things your way. Why don't you start one (or both) and see which thread form becomes more useful.  ;)

Sorry, I didn't say why I like it better this way! It allows for comparisons should that be the point of the posters. Also when both are the same, again a single thread might be more useful - But I know you well enough Katherine to suggest that this is not likely to be your last interesting idea.  :) - What do others think?
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2006, 05:20:33 pm »
I say that if Ennis gets to have two threads then Jack gets to have two threads too.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 08:35:06 pm by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2006, 06:49:08 pm »
Actually, I was saying it a bit facetiously. I think in actuality it would be hard to divide Ennis into two threads, because although I see Story and Movie as just about two different characters, there are probably others who see them as overlapping or intertwined.

But don't worry, Amanda, if that happened we'd give equal time to Jack. (In fact, there's an interesting issue: We rarely distinguish between Story Jack and Movie Jack, but there are some differences there, too, hunh? OT for this thread, I know, but maybe they'll come up up elsewhere.)

And Roland, why thanks!! :)