Author Topic: music in the background  (Read 8706 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: music in the background
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 11:08:19 am »
September 26th, 2006, about eleven and a half months after I started in BBM world, I am still learning new things.  Thanks for this thread.  Clarissa

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 11:11:29 am »
That spooky music is referred to by Casey Cornelius as the "death theme".
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 01:14:46 pm »
That spooky music is referred to by Casey Cornelius as the "death theme".

You know, eerie as the death theme is, and with such awful associations, I still sometimes wish it were on the soundtrack CD.

Not as much as I wish "Melissa" were on the CD, though.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2006, 01:30:34 pm »
You know, eerie as the death theme is, and with such awful associations, I still sometimes wish it were on the soundtrack CD.

It could be balanced by including the TS2 theme as well.

Me too.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2006, 03:27:08 pm »
Yes I wish the death theme was on the soundtrack too. Maybe I'm morbid...
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006, 04:43:44 pm »

They are on mine.  So are Streets of Laredo, Battle Hymn of the Republic, Quizas, Quizas, Quizas, and more.  I added them in and made my own CD.  It's nice and full.  Also the Roger Miller version of King of the Road that was in the movie.  Yum yum.  The only two I (purposely) don't have are It's so Easy to fall in Love (I got tired of it in the 70s, and have never gotten untired of it), and D.I.V.O.R.C.E (somehow too sad).

This thread shows me, though, that I have more to add.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 04:46:18 pm by Ellemeno »

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2006, 11:47:40 pm »
Clarissa, you're making me think I need to break down and get an ipod.

A question for people who have watched the movie in the past month. Other than "Water Walking Jesus" and whatever Jack plays on the harmonica, are there any times when Jack and Ennis are both on screen, and there is music playing other than the score? Most of the songs I can think of are played when either one or the other is on screen, but not both of them. Of course, they're out in the middle of nowhere most of the time when they're together, so it isn't surprising that there isn't music in the background. But there are a few cases where there could be music and I might have missed it. Is there anything playing on the car radio when Jack arrives at the reunion? Or when Jack and Ennis leave for their first fishing trip? Or when Ennis arrives for the second one, or when Jack arrives after Ennis's divorce? I don't think so, but I'm not certain.

My three-year-old has gotten into the "cowboy hat music" again. He's making me play "It's So Easy" over and over and over again. But he also had his own interesting ;) interpretation of "Angel Went Up in Flames" (the tune at the Childress benefit that sounds like "The Devil Went Down to Georgia."

So I got the title wrong when he asked what the song was -- I told him it was "The Angel Lost Its Wings" (which tells you that I've been conflating the Angel song with "The Wings" with the line in the book about the ministering angel laid out in the wild columbine, wings folded).

And his interpretation went something like this. The angel is looking for his wings, and there are lots of people in cars driving around, and then the police officer comes and takes the angel to his house and find his wings for him. (The End. ;) ) Except it was more complicated than that.

I should tell him it's really got fire in it, and see if the fire truck gets worked into the story somehow.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2006, 12:44:51 am »
And his interpretation went something like this. The angel is looking for his wings, and there are lots of people in cars driving around, and then the police officer comes and takes the angel to his house and find his wings for him. (The End. ;) ) Except it was more complicated than that.

I should tell him it's really got fire in it, and see if the fire truck gets worked into the story somehow.

He's writing his own short stories already! Encourage him to work in some symbols and metaphors (or maybe that's his intention with the people in cars, and the police officer ...?), and he's on his way.

As to your question, the only times I can think of when Jack and Ennis would be near a source of music are the ones you mentioned -- and in most of those it's the score I hear -- and in the bar right after they meet at Aguirre's. If there's anything playing in that scene, I haven't noticed it.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2006, 02:43:28 am »
Clarissa, you're making me think I need to break down and get an ipod.

Mel, I love the story about your three year old.

I have a three and a half year old, and she is the reason I very rarely use my iPod - how can I have earphones in when I'm with her?  But this is what works REALLY well for me, and her.  I do have my music on my Mac in iTunes, and my husband has rigged some kind of wireless way to play music that is on my computer through the living room stereo.  So I put my laptop up on the kitchen counter (to get it out of reach), choose this song and that song, or a playlist I've already made, and it comes through the living room speakers, so we can both hear it.  And as I'm writing to you all, I can choose my next few songs, etc.

This is a good place to plug BBM Radio, Phillip's creation that you can click on in the upper right hand corner of pretty much every screen here.  It's easy to set up, and has probably all the songs we're talking about +.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2006, 02:46:57 am »
and in the bar right after they meet at Aguirre's. If there's anything playing in that scene, I haven't noticed it.

It's been a while (weeks and weeks) since I watched BBM, but I'm pretty sure that I remember there is a radio going in the Signal bar.  The only thing I remember from it is hearing "Harry Harrison" said in Harry  Harrison's voice.  I remember him from my childhood in New York as being a very popular DJ.  I think Leslie (MaineWriter) and I talked about this once, and she remembered what station he was on.