Author Topic: The L Word: Any fans out there?  (Read 86792 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
The L Word: Any fans out there?
« on: September 25, 2006, 10:15:16 pm »
Hiya!

I guess I am starting this thread because I can .. lol, and because I am a big fan of the L-Word!
I have been waiting for the new season premiere and it is finally only 3 days away. 
It premieres here in Canada on Showcase, this Thursday Sept. 28th.  I can't wait ..  ;D

Some cast pix (courtesy of thelwordonline.com/)

Are there any L Word fans out there?  :)  I bet there are!  Drop-in, why don't ya!

Cheers
M
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 03:13:14 pm by Lucise »

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
Re: The L Word: Any fans out there?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 08:04:28 pm »
Yes, Milli......me and my husband are big fans of the L Word.....we have had only one season shown here so far on cable.......but my husband has enquired about getting dvd's of some of the other seasons.....not sure yet what is available to us here in Austrlia.

Its been a while since that season finished here, so I forget a lot of the characters names.....our favourites were the one played by the girl out of Flashdance, and the other favourite is the young dark haired butchy one, she acts tough on the outside but we saw a soft side of her near the end.

I looked up the website for the show, and noticed they had different lots of casts for different seasons.  Does the whole cast change from season to season, or is it just that some go and some join?

Will be keen get any info you might have on the show.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 11:55:10 pm »
Hey Sue .. Great to see you here!  :D

The L-word is currently in its 4th season but the 3rd season premieres Thursday here on one of the local channels.
I believe you can get the L-word on DVD from Amazon!  I will be getting seasons 1 and 2 as soon as I can!

I love the show because I love the women's stories and the way they are told.  Some people have said that the L-word is sorta like QAF (Queer as Folk) for women ..  but I think I enjoy LW more than QAF (although that is a great show too!).  As all the woman struggle to find love in their different, sometimes complicated lives, I can't help but get drawn into their dramas.   :)

And I agree with what you said about Shane.  She does everything she can to show a tough, "I don't give a F" attitude, but she is definitely concealing a soft side (one she possibly considers a weakness, what with the way she grew up and all..).  :)

The main characters are the same from season to season, but some come and go.  For example, Jenny's boyfriend TIM and the woman Jenny fell in love with in season 1: MARINA .. did not return for season two.

All in all .. this show rocks!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 11:57:02 pm »
Oh and another thing Sue ... 

This may help you remember the characters and their names:  ;)
(pix used in this animation courtesy of thelwordonline)

Aren't these women gorgeous?!  ;)

I am blown away by the way Pam Grier (KIT) looks ..  the woman is 57 years old!  She looks 35!!  :o 8)

« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 12:00:28 am by Lucise »

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 03:26:24 am »
Thanks Milli, for the cast photos.....I havent seen the show Queer as Folk, but I have heard that it is good.....when I describe the L Word to anyone...I usually say it is like Sex and the City, only with Lesbians......do you see the similarity?

I have often wondered if the actresses in the show are actually Lesbians, do you know if any of them are?

I agree with you about Kit, hard to imagine she is 57...what a looker.

Do you know any site where there is more info on the actresses...I guess if I looked them up on the net I would find out more.

Yes we are waiting for series 2 to commence here...havent seen any promos yet about when that is happening.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 10:52:46 pm »
Hey Sue ..

I suppose a great place to start to get info on the actresses is on the show's website, which gives a brief bio on each cast member.  :)  I checked out 1 or 2 fan sites online too ..one I liked was l-word.com

Check it out if you get a chance.  :)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 06:59:32 pm »
Today is finally the Season III premiere of TLW!!  :D

I'll be reporting back later!

brigadoon

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 07:28:19 pm »
Hey Lucise!
I really enjoy the L-word too! It only aired on a private channel which I don't have, in France, so I bought the dvds for the first and second season from amazon (in English too), and really got hooked! I love Shane and Alice in particular. Jenny mesmerised me at first, but then I began to find her way too serious and deep... and messed up. Even if I can really sympathize with what she goes through in fact, at first at least.
I had no idea there would be more seasons... that's good news!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 07:50:09 pm »
Hey Isabelle!

Great to see ya here!  :D
But .. why are ya a Tourist now?  ???
Anyway .. I'm thrilled you stopped by!

Yeah, there are 4 seasons in total right now. 
I am going to be getting TLW on DVD soon too.  It costs a pretty penny, but it is worth it if you love the show. 

Shane
is a very interesting character, she tries so hard to keep people away from her.  She certainly has a reputation of "lovin 'em and leavin 'em" .. but at the end of Season 2, she seems to come around more..so we'll see!

Jenny is really messed up as you say!  She freaks me out sometimes with her self-destructive tendencies .. after Marina left, she seems to be really struggling to find herself .. and accept her sexuality.

Dana is so Ennis-like to me .. she was so freaked out about people finding out that she was gay .. and made some very interesting decisions along the way ..

Alice is cool.  I like her ..

Bette and Tina..I hope those two work it out.  They seemed to be really in love, until Bette's job started interfering more and more ..

Helena .. quite bitchy and knows when to inflict her power on others ..lol

Kit is cool too!  Pam Grier rocks!

Geez ..I am rambling! lol

Cant wait for tonight .. ;)

Milli
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 02:48:40 am by Lucise »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 02:39:09 am »
I just watched Episode 1 of Season 3.. excellent as always ..  :D

Here are a few screen caps from the show:

The girls hanging out, Bette & Tina with their baby and some of the gang ..

Appointment with an adoption agent ..

Jenny and mom

I am worried about Alice and her Dana-obsession ..

Shane at Carmen's family home

Girls just wanna have fu-un   ;)