Author Topic: Coping With the Negative Thinking Demons  (Read 5736 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Coping With the Negative Thinking Demons
« on: February 16, 2006, 01:08:06 am »
This morning I experienced one of my little wake-up-with-the-negative-demon-thinking situations.  I notice my emotions ebb and flow during the day, and my lowest point is always very early in the morning, right upon waking.  This morning wasn't anything more dramatic than thinking about building this site and worrying if people will find something useful from it, and actually participate, but it's an example of one of my cycles.

My natural high point of the day is usually late afternoons, and the more sun out there the better (and here in western NY, sometimes the sun goes on the back of milk cartons labeled 'Missing' in the winter months), but we've had a very mild winter thus far.

I've discovered two ways of dealing with the negative thinking:

1) Rationalization - Since I can understand this emotional flow within me, I can rationalize that when I am dealing with the negative thinking, I know time of day for me has a lot to do with it, so I can force this into context.  I can also try and objectively look at what I am feeling and decide whether or not it is valid.  In the case of today's small drama, it's irrational to make any judgments about the progress of a site that is now four days old so "chill."

2) Wait It Out - Sometimes we're just moody because damnit, we are.  This morning I elected to distract myself with activities in order to wait it out after I did the rationalization thing.

BTW, an excellent way of working things out of your system is to try and get outdoors and do some walking.  Exercise is a major help in finding healthy outlets for what's going through your head.  I load up my MP3 player with whatever music or talk strikes me and out I go.  After Brokeback I spent some time with the MP3 player and the soundtrack to the film, and songs that seemed to fit the mood of the film.  Other times, I loaded up some of the interviews and listened to those while walking.  Music seems to let you cope with feelings in your head - speech seems more appropriate when you want to focus on something other than what's on your mind.

If you want to help locate audio resources online such as podcasts related to the movie, feel free to link to them in the Movie Resources section.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

injest

Re: Coping With the Negative Thinking Demons
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 03:37:17 pm »
I hope you don't mind me bumping this thread...

It has a lot of good stuff in it. I also have these periods...for me they are more connected to my hormones...but in spite of the fact I am 41 I still don't realize til I have chewed on Don or D or a horse or whatever that I am not so much upset at them as I am in this depressed state...you would think I would eventually 'get' it but I am surprised and angry with myself every time...I admire your ability to analyze yourself..

My natural high is at night...which is not a good thing considering the lifestyle I have.

I like that part about music helping you to deal with what is going on in your head, rather than talking. Andrew is leading me to listen to classical music something I never have before; it is helping me be calmer...gives me an 'excuse' to just be still instead of multitasking all the time...

Offline Br. Patrick

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "So what're we gonna do now?"
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 09:26:40 am »
This morning I experienced one of my little wake-up-with-the-negative-demon-thinking situations.  I notice my emotions ebb and flow during the day, and my lowest point is always very early in the morning, right upon waking.

FWIW, that is a primary symptom of Major Depression.  I have been on disability for Chronic Major Depression since 1997.  Meds could probably help you.  Go with Wellbutrin if you don't want to deal with the sexual side-effects.

But you also have recently experienced a MAJOR loss.  Your experiences would then be seen as perfectly normal.   If I can help in anyway, let me know.  I care.  I've been dealing with Mental Health problems since 1988.

peace and THANK YOU for Bettermost :)
br. patrick
Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road
In a world that may say that we're wrong.

...Cause I know - A love that will never grow old.

Gustavo Santaolalla & Bernie Taupin

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 12:36:48 pm »
Jess, thanks for the bump.  Phillip, it's nice to know that your worries about BetterMost turned out to be for naught.  8)

When I don't have to get up via the alarm clock and have time to wake up gradually, those worries that lie just below the surface run through my thoughts as I'm dozing.  If I pay attention to them, it gives me an idea of the emotional stuff I need to look at instead of shoving it under the rug.  Nature's way of telling me to clean house?  Maybe.  I know that when I finally take action on those things I feel lots better.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 12:14:08 pm »
Depression....an inisidiuos place to be, and yet, some of us, tend to want to stay there, regardless of how sad and unhappy we feel when we are there.

Most of us have had some period of depression in our life, but thankfully, most can get themselves out of it, before it becomes a "way of life".........but some of us get so far down, that the climb back up seems unreachable, and just too damn hard.

I've been there, and with help from medication and therapy, managed to climb out of it, and if I ever feel myself slipping down again, I remember what it was like down there in the dark, and tell myself, not to go there again.

I find positive thinking the best remedy....no matter how bad things seem, if you look, you will always find some positive, and that is what you need to concentrate on....Instead of looking at all the bad things around you, look at the good things, no matter how small, if you think of the bad things, they just get bigger and bigger, the same can happen with good things, they too, will get bigger and bigger too, and eventually overtake those bad thoughts.

I think, people who are depressed, sometimes think that everyone else around them, is leading a happy and fullfilling life, and that they are the only ones living a sad and troublesome life.....everybody has their ups and downs, we have to learn to accept that, and learn to deal with them as they happen....another good thing to think about is that we cannot change the past, we only have control of changing the future, it is up to us to concentrate on that, rather than to dwell on what has happened before.

I am no expert on the subject, I only know how I handled my own depression and recovery.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

injest

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 07:23:15 pm »
Hmmm Ya'll are seeing more than me...I just thought he was talking about the natural ups and downs we all deal with on a regular basis...

It is a fact that there are early birds and night owls..our hormones affect us (especially females), our environment-the weather and the temperature for example...no one has a perfectly smooth temperment...it is knowing yourself and making concrete plans for the moments that really get to you that I wanted to comment on. I wish I had that ability...I know I am grouchy in the mornings...just can't plan far enough ahead to make a battle plan! :laugh: :laugh:

Doesn't mean we are in the thoes of a major depression...just means we are living our lives...

Offline Katie77

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 10:59:04 pm »
Yes Jess....you are right....I'm sure Phillip was just discribing the mood changes he feels throughout the day.....as you say....mood changes we all feel due to environment, time of day, people around us, those dreaded hormones...

Sorry to go over the top about depression in my post....didnt mean to get on a soap box or anything, just encouraging people to go with the flow, the ups and the downs, move on, and face the next day when it comes...

injest

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 11:29:51 pm »
I think the tips he offers would be VERY helpful to people with depression...like you pointed out...being aware of your own feelings and history gives you ammunition to protect yourself. And being willing to follow thru...whether it is something as simple as getting out and taking a walk or being proactive enough to go to the doctor and get medication.

I know that is one area I need to work on, myself. To be more aware....more 'in the moment'. Instead of always thinking of the next thing to do...

running my life instead of my life running me.

I was interested to hear you say that about people that are depressed want to stay there...it must be the same for any hurtful activity. I read in a book on financial  troubles that people get used to the feeling of desperation and if it is taken away, they find another way to feel that desperation....because it feels 'normal' to them...

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 12:04:32 am »
I read in a book on financial  troubles that people get used to the feeling of desperation and if it is taken away, they find another way to feel that desperation....because it feels 'normal' to them...

Sudden thought...

Do you think that "standing it" came to feel normal to Ennis?

(I know I get really, really moody once a month. It got worse after I had a kid. I thought it would settle down with time, but it hasn't. The frustrating thing is that I know it's coming... and I still behave badly. I need to come up with a better way of coping; I hurt at least some of my friends every single month, and that's really unacceptable.)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 12:15:46 am »
Sudden thought...

Do you think that "standing it" came to feel normal to Ennis?

Yes, I think "standing it" was the path Ennis chose, and he lived with it like it was the normal thing to do.....maybe he realized once Jack was dead, that there were better alternatives, but sadly, then, it was too late.

Oh and by the way, that once a month thing.....its called PMS