Author Topic: Coping With the Negative Thinking Demons  (Read 5780 times)

Offline Br. Patrick

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "So what're we gonna do now?"
Re: Coping With the Negative Thinking Demons
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 02:49:18 am »
Oh and by the way, that once a month thing.....its called PMS

PMS: Patrick Michael Shea and the story of my life...   lol

???
br. patrick
Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road
In a world that may say that we're wrong.

...Cause I know - A love that will never grow old.

Gustavo Santaolalla & Bernie Taupin

injest

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 08:30:45 am »
Sudden thought...

Do you think that "standing it" came to feel normal to Ennis?

(I know I get really, really moody once a month. It got worse after I had a kid. I thought it would settle down with time, but it hasn't. The frustrating thing is that I know it's coming... and I still behave badly. I need to come up with a better way of coping; I hurt at least some of my friends every single month, and that's really unacceptable.)

I am sure it did. He had to struggle so hard to get the little he had, he lived in fear of losing it. He didn't have the skills or support to be able to analyze his own feelings and see other options. The only experiences he had were with loss. Winning probably didn't seem like a possibility...he lost his parents, his education, his Jack, his marriage....it must have felt like he was constantly on the edge and sliding and the only thing he knew to do is hold on to what he had as hard as he could.

A good lesson for us all. To not let ourselves get that tunnel vision where we feel we have no options but to 'stand it'.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 08:54:17 am »
I have never dealt with major depression problems in my life. However, I do get negative thought about everything and sometimes I do feel a little blue. What I have done to deal with it, is excersice. I always feel happy and good about myself and my life after going for a run. I know not everyone is fit for running, but if you can go for a 20 minute walk go ahead. Be sure to bring nice music with you. If it is too cold or too hot to go out, try dancing. Moving your body lifts the spirit. Believe me!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Karan13

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Fun loving open minded the future Mrs Depp or Gyll
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 10:34:22 am »
I think we need to feel negative sometimes , it keeps us sane , a release of feelings { even if negative } , can then help you see things more clearly , or think things through better in your mind. I as with everyone have my down days , where nothing i do is right and i am not good enough to acheive what i want to . Luckily i can now lift myself out of these feelings , i used to suffer from very bad depression and shut myself inside my own little world. I found with age came clarity , the older i got , the more calm i became , i realise now that everyone no matter how young , old , rich , poor , famous or beautiful , sometimes feels down , and when you know your not alone in suffering somethng , it helps. I also agree that exercising and being in control of your body also , fills you with uplifting feelings. Walking is also great i listen to music on my Walkman phone as i plod along and sometimes you see things as you`ve never really seen them before , i look around , and even though i live in a very built up area , i can catch the light streeming through the trees a certain way , that it takes my breathe away !. Beauty is all around us , but we rarely actually see it !. xxx
It`s not the breaths you take , it`s what makes you lose one !