Author Topic: Ennis or Jack? Which one did you identify with more?  (Read 16249 times)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Re: Ennis or Jack? Which one did you identified with more?
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2007, 01:01:45 pm »
This is a great question..

I have been thinking alot about it.

I always saw myself as an Ennis. Simply cos I was cautious, shy and more afraid. BUt after the movie ,I discovered that I am realy truly deep inside a Jack...I have always been that way...

I just pushed him down deep,  quite like the way Ennis pushed away Jack with his hopes , his dreaming....

except my Ennis's were people and circumstances that made me somehow feel it was wrong to be a Jack ...to be starry eyed...to be a romantic .... that I had to grow up...

so I changed and became a very poor impression of Ennis....it is not then surprising how miserable I have become..

There would be times when "jack" would slip to the surface...when I would be really me.....but it saced me ..Being Jack means being very vulnerable and open to being hurt......

it was hard to decide what or who to be....

I think over the last couple of weeks I have come to realize that I need to be Jack.......even if I risk the tire iron..( sorry for the analogy bashing ) ....cos there is not other way to live......for me at least.

I know I wont be silly about my choices cos I still have my Ennis lurking about ...saying .." it aint gonna be like this " ..

It is a hard thing to say sorry to your own spirit that you have shoved away and devalued.....and let other devalue...

...When I see Jack on the screen..I want to hug him and say sorry too...for not accepting him as part of who I am.....of not giving him a place in my life...

maybe I have had my "Jack ,I swear ......" moment too

hoping this makes sense to someone else..

hugs
Kea
Wow! It sure makes sense to me.
I never thought about myself being like Jack until I read your post.
Right now I am Ennis however I used to be Jack before life beat it out of me.
Hopefully one day I can join the two and be a whole person.
Jack and Ennis are like that Chinese symbol (Yin and Yang I think) they are  a part and parcel of each other . You really couldn't have one without the other in any meaningful way.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

moremojo

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2007, 03:58:38 pm »
Jack and Ennis are like that Chinese symbol (Yin and Yang I think) they are  a part and parcel of each other . You really couldn't have one without the other in any meaningful way.
Annie Proulx wrote as much herself, in describing her inspiration for the characters and their story on that fateful visit to Sheridan's Mint Bar. When Ennis came to her mind, Jack soon appeared, "for you can't have Ennis without Jack."

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2007, 04:03:02 pm »
Annie Proulx wrote as much herself, in describing her inspiration for the characters and their story on that fateful visit to Sheridan's Mint Bar. When Ennis came to her mind, Jack soon appeared, "for you can't have Ennis without Jack."
Wow. I can't believe I was thinking like Annie!
Maybe I'm smarter than I thought! :o
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Ennis or Jack? Which one did you identify with more?
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2007, 09:26:51 pm »
I am much more of an Ennis-type in terms of my own personality.  I say this mostly because in my "real life" I'm often sort of a loner.  But, I'm attracted to Jack-types.  And, I think that's how it should be... or at least it's not surprising.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2007, 05:00:27 pm »
Okay there are a lot of Ennises and very few Jacks. Why is that anyway? I am a Jack and I would like another Jack to keep me company. (Is that possible or recommended?) But I keep running into Ennises and getting entangled with them. Where are all the Jacks hiding??

:P

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2007, 05:15:21 pm »
Okay there are a lot of Ennises and very few Jacks. Why is that anyway? I am a Jack and I would like another Jack to keep me company. (Is that possible or recommended?) But I keep running into Ennises and getting entangled with them. Where are all the Jacks hiding??

:P

Well, Jack needed Ennis just as much as Ennis needed Jack.
I don't think another Jack would make you feel whole.
Actually, you are lucky to be surrounded by all us Ennis'!  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2007, 08:58:35 am »
Well, Jack needed Ennis just as much as Ennis needed Jack.
I don't think another Jack would make you feel whole.
Actually, you are lucky to be surrounded by all us Ennis'!  ;D

I suspect you're right, dang it. But it sure would be nice to try if I ever ran into a Jack once in a while way out in the middle of nowhere!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2007, 06:50:03 pm »
All the writing on this site can be for more than fun and chat.  It's become like journaling for me, see, I read back over what others wrote, and what I wrote too and realized how revealing our entries are.  What recently is helping me, in my actual life, is to see what I wrote a while back and look at where I am now.  I wrote that I was like Jack mostly, but living in an "Ennis Del Mar Like Land"... ( several entries ago).... well, I feel I am almost turning into Ennis, not like going mad, but I have become much more isolated and remote in the last year because of where I live.  I know it's not good, but at least I see that now, clearly.  And I will have to make changes. In fact it could be major changes.

I'm still like Jack, but I don't want the gentle, sensitive side of me to die like Jack because then all I'd have would be Ennis qualities, and the balance of the two would be missing.   I say all this, knowing I'm much more and largely different from the two characters, but it's a good exercise to focus on them and see parts of one's self more clearly for doing so.   I guess this entry will be a bit cerebral, even weird, perhaps, for some, but hey, I understand it perfectly!   LOL

(My sense of humor is all mine!)   RR

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2007, 07:56:09 pm »
This is still a very interesting question. 

Rayn, you're absolutely right that looking back on old posts can be very revealing... especially for those of us who have posted for over a year here now!
 :o  It would be an interesting project to go back and read each and everyone of my posts (someday... if there were ever enough time to do such a thing...).  I always find it funny when I come across an old post of mine that I completely disagree with now (or at least an old post of mine that I feel like arguing with).  I'm sure many of us have grown and changed a lot over the last year or so.

Anyway,  I'm still like Ennis in my status of being a loner quite a lot these days.  This is mostly my state of being since moving to Pittsburgh two years ago and starting a job that consumes tons of my energy.  I think I probably come across a lot like Jack because I think I have a pretty optimistic personality.  I'm not as fearless as Jack... and I wish I could be more that way. 

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2007, 09:41:05 pm »
It would be an interesting project to go back and read each and everyone of my posts (someday... if there were ever enough time to do such a thing...).

Never enough time, never enough.

I always find it funny when I come across an old post of mine that I completely disagree with now (or at least an old post of mine that I feel like arguing with).  I'm sure many of us have grown and changed a lot over the last year or so.

When I read through old threads, I often fail at first to recognize posts of mine. I'll just read the words and think, "Hmm, that's an interesting idea," or "What?! No way!" Then I'll look closer and see that I wrote it!