Author Topic: Ennis or Jack? Which one did you identify with more?  (Read 16424 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Ennis or Jack? Which one did you identify with more?
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2007, 09:45:34 pm »
Never enough time, never enough.

When I read through old threads, I often fail at first to recognize posts of mine. I'll just read the words and think, "Hmm, that's an interesting idea," or "What?! No way!" Then I'll look closer and see that I wrote it!

he,he I do that too! I used to be quite a scholar, and then I got into this social thing, and my brain has turned into mush but, hey, I'm happy!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

moremojo

Re: In defense of Ennis ... Who did you identify with more?
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2007, 12:24:45 pm »
...Annie P. sure created believable human characters, didn't she!
Aye, that she did, friend. Ennis and Jack feel as real to me as the flesh-and-blood people in my own life.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2007, 04:17:02 pm »
The trip to Calgary was always overshadowed by a dual sense of the realness of the characters as well as the reality of the movie being a movie.  Talking to some of the folks on the trip reminded me that Ennis and Jack are made more real by what we project onto them, the parts that we identify with and the balance of optimism and stoicism that they represent, to me anyway.  Definitely been thinking about how I don't want to be like Ennis and how I've moved away from that, little by little.

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

moremojo

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2007, 04:32:04 pm »
And yet, isn't it strange at how much we love Ennis (well, I do anyway), even though we don't want to end up like him, or even be like him (even though so many of us claim the resemblance)? That has been part of the paradox for me, for even though I strive to have a happier life than Ennis, he will always be stuck in his fictional universe with the same broken heart...and I'll be loving him and hurting for him, no matter what.

And welcome back, Juan (and I love your avatar, notre petit prince)!

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2007, 04:53:44 pm »
Merci for that, I hope to be back more often!

I hear what you're saying about this love/hate thing, or at least love/repulsion for Ennis.  It's easy to simultaneously identify with certain qualities (the brooding, the sturdiness, the poignancy in his inexpressiveness) and romanticize them as well.  After all, he is a fictional character...the reader fills in the gaps and gives meaning to the words, the same way the actors flesh them out on film.  But yeah, at least each of us has the opportunity to be different.  At least, that's what I want.  J

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2007, 06:38:16 pm »
I ID with both, cause I'm like Ennis on the outside sometimes, but like Jack in the center of me all the time.  I understand the feelings of both men and love them equally.   

Hey the Pilgrimage was fantastics... I loved every minutes of it.

Rayn

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2007, 08:35:02 am »
And yet, isn't it strange at how much we love Ennis (well, I do anyway), even though we don't want to end up like him, or even be like him (even though so many of us claim the resemblance)? That has been part of the paradox for me, for even though I strive to have a happier life than Ennis, he will always be stuck in his fictional universe with the same broken heart...and I'll be loving him and hurting for him, no matter what.

And welcome back, Juan (and I love your avatar, notre petit prince)!
I agree Scott.
Sometimes, as I am starting on this journey, I feel like i am bound to follow in his footsteps. His divorce happened not because of his sexuality but because of a slow diswntergration of his marriage much like mine. So, he wound up divorced and seperated from his daughters and now I am soon to be divorced and seperted from mine. There is no guarantee that i will find hapiness with another. I guess the difference is that i am opened to the possibility and cling to the hope of a better more fulfilled life.
Only time will tell if that comes to fruition!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

moremojo

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2007, 09:33:49 am »
With your openness to the truth of your heart, Lee, you are well beyond Ennis at the comparable junctures in his life. Ennis didn't realize what he had until he had lost it; you know what you want, and are arranging to make that possibility come to life. I think you are well on your way to a happier, more fulfilled existence, and unlike Ennis, it won't be too late for you.

Best wishes as always,
Scott

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2007, 05:06:05 pm »
... the parts that we identify with and the balance of optimism and stoicism that they represent, to me anyway.  Definitely been thinking about how I don't want to be like Ennis and how I've moved away from that, little by little.

Hey, a Stoic is a good way to see Ennis.  I had balanced them as Idealism and Realism, but Stoicism adds the factor of  pain ( "...just gotta stand it") to the pic. 

Thanks, Juan.

Where are you now?  You back home or still on the road?   I'm visiting my folks in Washington State... which takes a fair amount of Stoicism too, and a large amount of patience and understanding.   (smile)

Rayn

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2007, 01:50:03 am »
Yeah I'm home, mustering up all my patience just to be back at work.  I need another vacation.   And yeah, stoicisim, patience, and a lil bit of humor always works well at home!  Hope you're having a good time Rayn...