Author Topic: Meeting Brokies in Person??  (Read 15481 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Meeting Brokies in Person??
« on: September 27, 2006, 12:43:01 am »
This question arises because we've been focusing on how many times we've seen the movie/DVD....

Now, some of us are going to social events to meet other like-minded folks and planning yet more.  Although the movie still forms the essential basis of our relationship, we're moving on to other subjects, getting involved in each others lives.  Quite naturally, friendships are developing that extend beyond the movie that brought us all together.

I'm interested in how many individuals we've met face-to-face that we originally met via the Internet because of Brokeback Mountain...

For the record, I'm not restricting Brokies to BetterMost members.  For instance, in Atlanta, I met a friend of Barb's who is a true Brokie, but not involved in the forum scene.  Also, there were Dave Cullen members who attended but did not create (or use) accounts at BetterMost.  I intend to include all of them, BMost members and non-members alike because it was an Internet connection that brought us together.

Obviously, you can count as you think most accurate. But, for instance, because I've encountered Eric twice, I'm only counting him once.  I'm sure we'll see each other again and again.  Also, I've met Impish although it wasn't for a BBM viewing...it's connections we're counting, not meetings/screenings...OK??

Please feel free to comment on your replies or let me know if I need to change the poll in any way to better represent our answers!!

-Lynne
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 12:56:45 pm by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Meeting Brokies in Person??
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 01:03:01 am »
Great idea for a poll, Lynne! I've met three Brokies: Lee (in Denver), Celeste (in Chicago) and Amanda (in Pittsburgh). Each meeting was delightful. I like the one-on-one approach, because I feel like I really get to know the person that way -- although, hell, I felt like I knew them pretty well by the time I met them!  :D

Anyway, those rendezvous were all fun, and I hope to meet some others of you as well as get together again with each of those three. And one of these days, I'd love to go to one of those group gatherings. The more photos I see and reports I read, the more I wish I'd been there.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 01:13:33 am »
Katharine - I agree with you that the personal meetings are really nice because of the one-on-one factor.  That's how I met Impish and though it wasn't 'party and imbibe and go-go-go', it was even better for the intimacy and close conversation without feeling overwhelmed.  I'd like to do more of those as well.  I'm sure as time passes and we remain committed, it will happen!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 12:58:15 pm by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

moremojo

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 12:19:26 pm »
The first fellow Brokie I met with whom I had first communicated online was Eric (sfericsf). Along with Eric, I also met Pete (ptannen), and the following day met Judy (ohiomyown) accompanied by Pete. This all happened in my home city. In November, I'll hopefully get to meet Melinda (Sashca1007), who hopes to make it to here while she's in Texas. But Melinda and I have been friends since early 2004, though we've yet to see each other face to face!

Scott
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 07:08:21 pm by moremojo »

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 12:30:20 pm »
I haven't met any yet, but I'm hoping to me a whole bunch of Brokies next summer in Alberta!!!!
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 01:09:38 pm »
I've only met Celeste (YaadPyar) and Andrew (littledarlin), who both live here in the Chicago area. They are both wonderful, and I had a great time. I would LOVE to go to one of those big get-togethers!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 08:13:09 am »
i almost met louisev and mainwriter this summer in london  :(

but i met Jude, Pipedream, Penthesilea and her friend Kirsten, saucycobblers, mikaela, becky and her mum and of course Jura86 in london this month. I was wonderful. it just feels like you've know these people for a really long time!

but those numbers ain't what i'd hoped for neither. But i'll definitely get my numbers up next year in Alberta!!! yeeehaaaw  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 09:57:49 am »
One month ago I'd met exactly two Brokies; Meryl and Two_mules.

But the last two weekends saw me joining first the EURO Brokie weekend in London, then the NYC Bruncheroo with additional meet-ups in the days following that. Now I can safely say I'm in the 21-40 Brokies met category.

And I can truthfully say that every Brokie I've met has been a distinctly wonderful person!  :) These meetings have been another way in which BBM the story and film has very much enriched my life.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 10:52:10 am »
These meetings have been another way in which BBM the story and film has very much enriched my life.

Ditto! It's unbelievable, what a movie (story) can trigger. Sometimes when I step back to think about the whole phenomenon called Brokeback Mountain, I still feel amazed and hardly can believe it. Hardly can believe what it has done to me, to my life.
And to think it is just the same for so many other people, that's... wow!

Two weeks ago, I had never met any Brokie in RL, except for my friend and fellow Brokie from the same village. But never someone I knew from the internet. But two weeks ago, I was in London and met belbbmfan, Mikaela, Jude, Anke, Becky, Becky's mom, James and saucycobblers.
And I too felt like I had known those people for a long time.

I guess Brokie meetings are as addictive as this forum, because I had thought the London gathering would be a one shot thing. It was a crazy idea to attend it, born directly after our fourth viewing of BBM in theatre on our way home. We thought: let's do something crazy, something we would normally never do.
But now I want to go to another Brokie meeting. One shot thing - as if!  ;D
I'll never be able to make it to the other side of the big pond, so I hope there'll be more gatherings in Europe.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 11:26:45 am »
From our first little get-together in June, when I met David and Lisa, then Louise in London in August and the big NE Bash last weekend...all of the Brokies I have met have been fabulous people. It is a privilege and honor to call you all friends.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 11:49:03 am »
The only ones I have met are Acoustic man and GG. Two good ones if I might say so. How we met is on the IMDb boards last year discussing the documentory Grzzly Man. The three of us at the time were really hooked on it. I started a thread that asked if anyone was from upstate N.Y. I got about 6 responses two of them being Acousticman and GG. Well came to be Acoustic man/Tullio and GG/Greg  lived pretty close to each other. The three of us used to chat all the time. I live about two hours from both of them and drove to meet them both.

after that we became three very good friends and continued on to BBM on IMDb. Heard of this place and moved over here. We see each other alot, and chat on phone too. I have enjoyed seeing and listening to Acousticman/Tullio play his guitar and sing in clubs a few times.

Who would of thought that these boards can bless you with lifetime friends? But they can and it seems that there are alot of great friendship emerging here on Bettermost! It's really a great thing to watch.!

« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 11:58:43 am by Arad-3 »
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 06:57:47 pm »
Lynne, great idea for a poll (one I had, but never got around to implementing!) :)

Here in Seattle: fellow Seattleites silkincense and uberlibran (dinner and THE movie)

The Aero adventure in Santa Monica (AnglessFest): henrypie, Banner Hill, starboardlight, mlewisusc, ndatmo-1, surf, maribel, maribel's friend, (a couple more?).  Can I count Jake, Heath, Michelle, Diana, Rodrigo, and Gustavo, who were all just a few feet away, but whom I wasn't actually introduced to? :)

The Castro adventure in San Francisco: sfericsf, Sashca1007, ptannen, kirkmusic, twistedude, RouxB, JuaninNYC, ednbarby, nerdyjock, Adrian.DelMar, and about 25 others, including starboardlight and silkincense, both of whom I won't count twice.

Here, in Seattle, when they visited: Shuggy and henrypie (whom I won't count twice).

I've also talked to maybe 6 or so others by phone, but I understand you are asking about face to face, so won't count 'em. 

Me love Brokies.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 09:40:48 am »

Hey..

Well until last week, I could only count Ray but I've expanded it quite considerably!

Ray, Celeste, rt (charlie), Eric, Pete, Mikaela, John, DeeDee, Meryl, Juan, RouxB, Will...,

Wish it had included Mandy too..  *sigh*
Chut up!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 01:00:45 pm »
I think I'm up to 24, soon to be 26 when Lynne visits this weekend to see the Gustavo event, and Adrian's going to be there, too.  Me love Brokies, too.  :-*
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 11:37:47 am by meryl »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 08:30:39 pm »
Same as Chrissi! I met Fabienne, Mikaela, Nicky, Anke, Becky, Ann (Becky's Mom), James, Kerstin (Chrissi's friend) and Chrissi at the EURO BROKIE meeting. I don't think I will travel to the US or Canada, but I do hope to meet other fellow Brokies. And why not soon - in December in London again.

j. U. d. E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline David

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2006, 07:14:35 am »
I think I have met at least Eleven Brokies.

I have gone to New York City twice for BBM brunches in the Village.

I met Meryl, TwoMules (Sarah), NewYearsDay (Jenny), JuaninNYC,  John Gallagher, DeeDee & her hubby,  HobokenJeff, Jeff Wrangler and Anke from Germany!

Also,  I drove up to Maine to have lunch with Mainwriter (Leslie) and BBMIswear (Lisa).

I also met Montferrat (Paul) and another girl from IMDB back in the Spring.  She never joined BetterMost and Paul..... hasn't logged in lately.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 03:06:38 pm »
Between the Castro showing, Atlanta showing, Autie's BBQ (lots of Dave Cullen members), Boston & NYC, I'm guessing 61-80.  Might actually be more.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2006, 12:34:49 am »
The Castro bash (and thanks to Eric I'm a YouTuber), New England/Boston Brokeathon and New York puts me at about...a lot. I'm starting to plan my vacations around Brokie visits.

I got nothin' but love for ya

O0

Heathen

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2006, 12:56:37 am »
I'm starting to plan my vacations around Brokie visits.

Damn straight you are ;) !  I've forgotten there's any other way to plan a vacation!
All that love back at you.

Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 04:21:24 pm »
Hm, I've met quite a few brokies. I'd say more than 20 to be sure. but of the ones that I met first on the net, it'd be just under 20. We did our meeting up for the Aero screening in Santa Monica, and then the Castro showing in SF. At the Castro, I met quite a few others that were from other boards, so I hadn't really met thing on the net before.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

horo35

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2006, 01:25:49 am »
Wow, seems alot of brokies are either meeting in the US or overseas.  Haven't heard of any get togethers in Canada yet.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2006, 10:14:01 am »
Horo, surely there are fellow Brokies right there in Calgary, since the movie was filmed there! Time to do some rallying of the troops! I'll bet you could get crew members to come and talk to your group if you had one.

It's about time for me to weigh in on this. My first Brokie that I ever met in person was Katherine (latjoreme), and I hope to get together with her again, maybe over winter break. Next I met Impish in Albuquerque and we had a wonderful evening together. He gave me a CD of Rufus Wainwright's songs, which I treasure. Next I met Marge Innavera in Kansas City. We had a great lunch together and walked through the historic Plaza area.

I was particularly thrilled to meet a brokie in my own neighborhood--LauraGigs! She is a multitalented artist, musician, and raconteur who I could talk to for days without running out of things to say! Since meeting her, I have had the opportunity to go to a concert where she performed (see the Social Events forum for a review) and a Wendy Woo/poetry slam concert as her guest. Meeting brokies has really enriched my social life and circle of friendships immensely.

I drove to a rural part of Colorado to met nakymaton (Mel) for the sheepherder's festival when the sheep were brought down from the mountain.  And then in Casper, I hit the motherlode! I met ptannen (Pete), EDelMar (Adam), Adrian.delmar, brokeback_1 (Brokebackjack), his fiancee Kristin, tellyouwhat (Ellen), and the greatest Brokie of them all, Annie Proulx! (I also met THE TRUCK, the shirts, the horse, the jacknife, the Oscar program, the Golden Globes program, etc. etc. I guess you could say I went to Brokie heaven!) Later I met Adam's friend David, who may or may not be a brokie, but I consider him as one, especially since he was wearing Jack's Wrangler shirt!

I have also met with two more Brokies since then, the moderators of the Eyelashes and Juicy Bits forums on the DC board. We are planning a get-together in Denver next Memorial Day. If you want to meet more Brokies in person, put this on your calendar!!!!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 03:37:48 pm by Front-Ranger »
"chewing gum and duct tape"

iluvchocolate

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2006, 02:26:17 pm »
Front, I am waitin g for ther mother load when everyne comes up here this summer .  I cant wait to see everyone face to face.... Oh and front ...congrats on becomeing a Mod!!! :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2006, 04:03:12 pm »
That's going to be a sweet life in Alberta next July! I have it on my calendar!! And as for me being a mod--I don't know how it happened! I thought I was going to be a social coordinator. But now there's no going back. So, thanks, I think!!

moremojo

Two Brokies, face to face
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2006, 12:03:50 pm »
Howdy, friends!

Just had to share the news that, finally, after two and a half years of online acquaintance, I met one of my dearest friends face to face for the first time--Melinda (Sashca1007), right here in my hometown! Melinda and I first met on IMDb back in February 2004, just days after I turned thirty-seven, and we developed an immediate and lasting rapport. It turned out we had a mutual friend  :D, which made our developing acquaintance all the more interesting.

Melinda encountered BbM almost two months before I did, but when I finally caught up with it, I fell in love with this masterpiece as ardently as she had, and this shared enthusiasm just deepened our already existing friendship. Even though we were separated by half a continent's distance, it was most reassuring to have such a beautiful human being accompany me in spirit on this amazing Brokeback journey.

Melinda had occasion to visit my home town for the first time this past Tuesday, November 7th. My sister Cathy and I arranged to meet her at Pappacito's, a Mexican-food restaurant, where we proceeded to enjoy a delicious meal and scintillating conversation. Melinda is such a gorgeous, gentle soul, and I could scarcely count my blessings at being in the presence of someone who in my eyes is a living legend. Cathy and I saw Melinda off at her motel nearby, and I arranged to meet Melinda the next day for another round of visiting and getting better acquainted (I was taking the day off from work).

Melinda picked me up from my home the following morning, and drove me to a dental appointment which was important for me to keep. That didn't take long, and from there we proceeded to my usual haunt of the campus, where I took my friend to see the world's oldest photograph and our copy of the Gutenberg Bible, both on permanent display. We then visited the library at which I work, and from there went to the new Museum of Art, where works by Frederic Remington and Charles M. Russell, two of Melinda's favorite artists, were available for viewing. There is one enormous Remington canvas that is one of the museum's treasures, and also a bronze sculpture by the same artist that I think is even more beautiful. I showed Melinda some of my favorite works in the collection, including a masterpiece by Nicolas de Largilliere (a Portrait of a Gentleman from circa 1715), and my very favorite among the collection, a Holy Family by Mattia Preti that is so touching in its understated gentleness.

From there, we went to find something to eat, and I took her to a Thundercloud's sandwich shop which had a mural that I knew she would appreciate. I was right! We ate our sandwiches next to this mural, and Melinda showed me a treasure trove of photographs she had brought from her personal collection of memorabilia; we spent three hours in conversation thus engaged.

From here, we walked to Lobo, just two stores down, which is our local lesbigay bookstore. Melinda expressed her admiration for the establishment, and we both marvelled at the incredible variety and quantity of merchandise. At that point, we drove to my sister's church, where she was finishing up choir practice, and we all three repaired to Threadgill's, a local iconic restaurant, for dinner. Melinda really enjoyed her meal (you can't go wrong at Threadgill's), and we visited well into the night, Cathy leaving a bit earlier to go home and prepare for the next day.

Melinda dropped me off at my house, but not before we purchased a couple of Dr. Pepper's so that Melinda could sample that fabled beverage in "Dr. Pepper country"  ;), and we visited some more before Melinda repaired back to her motel in preparation for driving to Dallas the next day and flying out from there. I told her before parting that hopefully it won't be too long before our next meeting--maybe in Colorado or Alberta!

Well, this was a dream come true, to be sure. Melinda was every bit as sweet and thoughtful as I knew she would be, and I count myself most fortunate to call her friend. She is a real treasure, and I am so happy to know she is here among us at BetterMost, continuing this path of shared love and discovery in honor of two presences we call Jack and Ennis.

Sharing the good news,
Scott
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 06:31:57 pm by moremojo »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2006, 12:43:10 pm »
I am so happy to hear about your visit with Melinda, Scott! I missed you the last few days and am overjoyed to hear that your absence was for a happy reason! I can't tell you how excited I am to hear that you both might be considering coming to Alberta or Colorado or both! Knowing how you don't like to travel, I am extra impressed!! Would there be some pics of this meeting??? Best wishes,

moremojo

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2006, 12:54:59 pm »
Would there be some pics of this meeting??? Best wishes,

Hey, FRiend Lee!

Melinda did take a few shots of me, in front of the UT tower and in the back of Threadgill's, as well as snapping a picture of that evocative Thundercloud's mural that was so to her liking. When she has regained the capacity to scan images onto her computer, she may well share some of those here (it could provide some welcome addendum to my tiny, hard-to-see avatar portrait). Neither Cathy nor I, unfortunately, had the foresight to dig out Cathy's digital camera for any of our rendezvous, so we didn't help out any on the picture front.

Like I told Melinda, Colorado and Alberta are definitely things to dream about; dreams do have a way sometimes of turning into reality  :D!

Best regards,
Scott

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2006, 02:37:39 pm »
I envy the two of you seeing works by Remington and Russell. Annie Proulx talked about both of them in her talk in Casper Wyoming at the Equality State bookfest. I saw paintings by Remington a couple of years ago at the Denver Art Museum. Altho he is known for his sculpture, I found the paintings fascinating because of his use of light. How I would have loved to hear Melinda's and your reactions to that art!!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2006, 10:50:51 pm »
Scott, I am so glad you and Melinda had a great time together.  As she knows, she was one of the highlights of the Castro Adventure for me, and a wonderful hostess.  I'm glad she got to have some wonderful hosting from you in return!

What is the significance of Dr. Pepper?  I don't drink soda very often, but when I do, I'm a diet Dr. Pepper girl. 

So happy for the two of you,

Clarissa

moremojo

Dr. Pepper country
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2006, 12:09:35 pm »
What is the significance of Dr. Pepper?  I don't drink soda very often, but when I do, I'm a diet Dr. Pepper girl.
One of the lines that Melinda uttered in a film she was in (from back in 1975) went, "That's Dr. Pepper country down there." This was regarding a character who was on his way down to Waco, Texas--a city that Melinda passed through both coming to and going away from my home town. So the stop in Waco, and the sampling of Dr. Pepper, were poignant moments--thirty-one years in the making!

Hope I'm not giving too many of Melinda's secrets away.

;)
Scott
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 06:12:18 pm by moremojo »

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: Dr. Pepper country
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2006, 12:38:42 pm »
One of the lines that Melinda uttered in a film she was in (from back in 1975) went, "That's Dr. Pepper country down there." This was regarding a character who was on his way down to Waco, Texas--a city that Melinda passed through both coming to and going away from Austin. So the stop in Waco, and the sampling of Dr. Pepper, were poignant moments--thirty-one years in the making!

Hope I'm not giving too many of Melinda's secrets away.

;)
Scott

scott - 5 posts to go untill you hit 1000! May I be the first (?) to congratulate you! Yee-haw!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

moremojo

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2006, 01:41:26 pm »
scott - 5 posts to go untill you hit 1000! May I be the first (?) to congratulate you! Yee-haw!
Why, yes, Kelda, many thanks indeed for the (somewhat premature) congratulations. After this little reply, I'll be only two posts away from joining that exclusive club! I've been working hard for this moment since April 5th--let me thank my mom, my dad, without whom I wouldn't be here, my 6th-grade English teacher, who taught me so much, and...

;D
Scott

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2006, 05:52:15 am »
Why, yes, Kelda, many thanks indeed for the (somewhat premature) congratulations. After this little reply, I'll be only two posts away from joining that exclusive club! I've been working hard for this moment since April 5th--let me thank my mom, my dad, without whom I wouldn't be here, my 6th-grade English teacher, who taught me so much, and...

;D
Scott
;D

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline Eire1978

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2007, 08:35:00 pm »
None so far.

Is there anyone here who lives in Belfast? Or Ireland in general?

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2007, 08:42:30 pm »
None so far.

None that I've heard of, belfastgirl, but that could change any time.  Meanwhile, welcome to BetterMost!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2007, 08:45:42 pm »
None that I've heard of, belfastgirl, but that could change any time.  Meanwhile, welcome to BetterMost!  8)

There's quite a few British members here, but they live in either England or Scotland. I don't think we have any member from Northern Ireland.

Maybe we should try to recruit some!  :D

I'm so happy to see you posting here!! Welcome to Bettermost! 
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Eire1978

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2007, 09:04:25 pm »
hey David, I sent you a pm

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2007, 04:55:28 am »
None so far.

I'm not too far away - Glasgow...

Offline Eire1978

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2007, 07:26:34 am »
One of my best friends lives in Glasgow. I visited him two years ago. I really liked the city.
And my favourite band are Capercaillie, I am sure you know them!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2007, 10:50:53 am »
Yee-haw! I have now met over 20 Brokies!! (Some of them have been DC-ites that I have enticed to come over here and register!!)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2007, 10:48:15 pm »
Another thread that needs bumping because of the BBQ.  I increased my count by 26, all thanks to the Estes Park BBQ!!!!!

-Lynne
 8)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2007, 03:33:03 pm »
I put that I've met 101-150, but it could be more.

So far, I've attended.....

BBM Backyard BBQ in SanAntonio, Texas last August.  Had about 70-80 people there.

A NYC gathering of about 30 people in Central Park.

A East Coast Slash Bash in December of '06 of about 15.

The Bay City event of about 50 in Feb of this year.

And now Colorado just last weekend, had about 70-80 people again.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2007, 03:34:25 pm »
However many I met at the BBQ last weekend, minus the three people there I had met already. Not sure what the final count is, but I know my intimacy deepened considerably!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2007, 03:09:12 pm »

;D
Scott

dont forget all the little people behind the scenes, that help you be out in front.. 8)             :laugh:
                                                 congratulations Scott

Beautiful mind

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2007, 04:14:04 pm »
However many I met at the BBQ last weekend, minus the three people there I had met already. Not sure what the final count is, but I know my intimacy deepened considerably!

:)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2007, 04:18:58 pm »
I just adjusted my vote to the 101-150 category.  But it really depends how you count.  At first I was going to go with a much more modest number, counting people I had only really had at least a short conversation with.  But compared to someone who has never been in the same room with a fellow Brokie at all, I really have met, at least very briefly and superficially, that many.

There were 76 people at the BBQ, I hear.  And while I definitely didn't have depth with even most of them, I think I had at least the barest moment of acknowledgment with all of them.  And at the Castro Adventure, I was milling around with even more Brokies than that, all treating it like a wonderful cocktail party. 

But even by much more stringent standards, I've met me a good many.  A wonderful many.  :)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2007, 01:02:42 am »
I met several Brokies at the Castro Bash in SF last year.  Good times!  :)