Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2146201 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2006, 07:04:42 pm »
David, Are you by chance near Marion County, Indiana? There is this huge real estate scam imvolving people in my area.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2006, 07:57:12 pm »
David, Are you by chance near Marion County, Indiana? There is this huge real estate scam imvolving people in my area.

Actually I live in Marion County. I read a little bit about the scam in the paper.

Here is a link to the Indianapolis Star, just in case you would like to have a look...

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060929/LOCAL/609290494
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 08:08:37 pm by David925 »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2006, 08:44:32 pm »
Yes I do believe they do sell them. My mother used to have one with the glass top too. I loved watching the coffee pop up and I loved to listen to it too. Something about that experience was very cozy to me.

While we're on the subject, I remember my mother also had a washer and dryer with a little round window on the front. I was always thrilled when she did the laundry. I loved to sit in front of them and watch the clothes get tossed around inside.

Like I said, I was a weird kid.  ???

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2006, 09:28:55 pm »
Current Weather In Indianapolis: Cloudy/Overcast  Temp: 57 F (14 C)
My Current Mood: Playful    :D

Don't drink instant coffee unless you have to.   :P

I think the frost will be on the pumpkin soon and we all know what comes after that. Snow.

But I just watched the weather reports and apparently the warm weather will be returning, at least for a little while. I never really was a big fan of winter. The snow is nice around Christmas time I suppose, but once Christmas is over, snow just becomes a big pain in the ass. At least I think it does. Everybody is slipping and sliding up and down the sidewalks, and banging into each other on the streets. But, this is the North, and snow is an unfortunate side effect of living here. I just can't believe how cold it is already. My mother use to tell me that I could find out how cold the coming winter would be by checking the wooley worms. If they are unusually fat and furry, it means a long, cold winter. Well, I don't know about the wooley worms, but I do know the squirrels are gathering their nuts for the winter, and normally they don't start their foraging until mid October. The hummingbirds have pretty much left the area too. This past summer I was filling my hummingbird feeders every few days. Now they remain nearly untouched with just an occassional visitor. The animals know. I think they are telling me winter will be coming early this year, and it is going to be long and cold. I hope this little spurt of warm weather next week isn't our Indian Summer. If it is, it will be coming very early and it will be unusually short.

The last of the corn, soybeans and tobacco is being harvested, the pumpkins are being picked and the animals are foraging their winter supplies. Soon the snow and ice will be dripping from the trees and glistening the landscape. I really do love the snow. (Well, sort of.) I just don't like the cold that comes with it. But a crackling fire in the fireplace is always nice and I love to curl up on the couch with a good book.   :)

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2006, 10:30:36 pm »
David,
The washer and dryer thing... wow! My mom had one too! I loved it when the whites were in and maybe a red or blue sock got in with them. It was fun following the sock. Each time it would come around a little bit different! It's funny but those things bring back such happy cozy safe memories to me.

my mom and dad have passed away. My mom died ten years ago just when I think she was inthe best years of her life she just turned 65. just retired after working all her life. . My dad died 3 months ago. Sometimes it brings me back when I read your words about the perculator and the washing machine to a nice place once again.Your discription of fall and winter almost brought tears to my eyes. Yes winter and snow are a pain but I remember making the snowman and the forts. We even made dinasours and put food coloring on them. what would christmas be without the bad roads and sidewalks and getting into the freezing car after shopping/ It's almost like the ultimate pain in the butt, but the payoff  is wonderful. And before winter I can still remember raking all the leaves up in the yard as a kid. Diving into them. making forts. lying in them for hours.  I wonder if kids do that anymore. I know mine don't. I cant get them to rake leaves. Well maybe if I pay them. but you know what I am saying. What ever happened to the good stuff?, Like the woolly catapillers.

David you are a good soul. Sentimental and gentle. It's a real pleasure reading your blog. thank you!
Geri
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2006, 12:23:16 am »
This is such a bizaar thing, this scam. I had a friend, he was a married guy who was very much in the closet, died two years ago in a car wreck, he told me all about his wife's relatives in Indiana had this scheme going to make money- he let them use his name and SSN once and they paid him 7 grand. I wondered why I had not seen his widow driving the Escolade lately.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2006, 12:49:11 am »
Home Sweet Home!

Downtown Indianapolis late at night.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Indianapolis skyline and Fall Creek

Downtown Indianapolis and the White River CanalPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

White River Canal and the Canal Walk at night.

The Soldiers and Sailors Monument festooned in Christmas lights.Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Like any kid, some of my happiest memories are of Christmas and I always looked forward to our yearly trip downtown to Monument Circle. The Soldiers and Sailors Monument would be draped in thousands of lights creating the "Worlds Largest Christmas Tree". (I never fully bought in to that claim. I mean, come on! It's not a real tree!). Monument Circle would come alive with lights and music.  We would walk completely around the circle and listen to the choirs sing Christmas Carols, look at all the twinkling lights and view the live Nativity Scene at the foot of the monument. Next came the L.S. Ayres department store window. I always loved watching the mechanical figures, toys and lights inside the window. My nose and ear lobes would be burning from the cold, but I didn't care. It was Christmas! Besides I knew that in just a few minutes, we would be going inside of L.S. Ayres where I could warm up and finally see Santa Claus!

L.S. Ayres closed its downtown store years ago, and finally closed all of its remaining stores this past summer. L.S. Ayres may be gone now, but my memories of Christmas in downtown Indy will never leave me.

Downtown Indianapolis at Christmas.

Monument Circle at Christmas. (It's much prettier at night)

« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 01:25:47 am by David925 »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2006, 12:55:47 am »
This is such a bizaar thing, this scam. I had a friend, he was a married guy who was very much in the closet, died two years ago in a car wreck, he told me all about his wife's relatives in Indiana had this scheme going to make money- he let them use his name and SSN once and they paid him 7 grand. I wondered why I had not seen his widow driving the Escolade lately.

Yeah. I guess we Hoosiers are easily duped sometimes. This probably won't be going away anytime soon!  :(

Thanks for your post!   :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2006, 01:05:53 am »
Geri -

I am SO sorry to hear about your mother and father. It is very difficult to lose someone close; especially a parent. They say it is "the natural order of things" but somehow it doesn't make it any easier.

My mother died just over three years ago and I am still trying to cope with her death. It gets a little easier each day, but I doubt if the pain will ever go away completely. Sometimes I hope it won't... at least not completely. I'm afraid if I stop hurting, I might begin to forget her. The Christmas before she died, I asked her if she wanted me to put up the Christmas tree for her. She said no. She didn't want a Christmas tree that year. I suppose she realized this was going to be her last Christmas and it was depressing her. The following summer, I dropped by for a visit and she looked at me and said "This year I would like you to put up our Christmas tree". Well, she died a few months later. Dad was all alone at his house, and I tried to spend as much time with him as I could. He didn't want me to put the Christmas tree up, and to be honest with you, I didn't want to put it up either. But then I remembered what mom said. Dad agreed, and I put his Christmas tree up in the living room. I always think mom probably did visit dad a few times that Christmas and maybe she even noticed her Christmas tree we put up just for her that year.

David you are a good soul. Sentimental and gentle.

I get a strong impression you are too!  :D

« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 01:28:38 am by David925 »

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2006, 01:32:12 am »
David,
My mom died November 23rd of 1995. The day before Thanksgiving. We spent thankgiving in a numb state. the only way i could get through Christmas was buy buying a white artificial tree and spreading white angels all over it in her honor. It had delicate pink lights and white angels covering it. it was the most beautiful tree I have ever seen. Except of course the ones I vision in my head from Christmas when I was little and I believed in santa and everything was still new and exciting.

and yeah I am.
Geri
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "