Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2171588 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: David's Shutter Bug Club
« Reply #2630 on: May 22, 2008, 12:05:38 am »
David - ever the imaginative little kid!  :-* :-*

Ps - any further on dates open for Scottish woman meets!?!

I have that information written down at my house in Speedway Kelda. I'm at Dad's house now, but I'll be back over there this weekend. I'll let you know then, okay? :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2631 on: May 22, 2008, 12:31:39 am »

Here's some pictures from my hike in the woods yesterday with my Dad.

All of the pictures were shot using the following camera settings unless noted otherwise:

Mode: Manual
Shutter Speed: 1/60
Aperture: f/6.5
Exposure Comp: 0
White Balance: Auto
Flash: Off

Fallen Log:

Woodland Wildflowers:

Exposure Comp: +1

This is the little bridge on the golf course we crossed to get to the woods:

More Wildflowers in the woods:

f/8.0, Shutter speed 1/125

Is this what I THINK it is?  ???

This tree was struck by lightening last fall. See the little teal colored disk on the trunk? This disk was placed there by the Indiana Historical Society. This tree is actually located on the golf course, just at the edge of the woods. The golf course has many historic trees growing on it, and they have all been cataloged and identified by the IHS. It's a shame the tree was struck and killed by the storm.

Ferns. These are growing in my Dad's neighbor's yard. Their entire backyard fence is lined with these ferns.

f/4.5

I hope you enjoyed my walk in the woods! :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2632 on: May 22, 2008, 01:43:28 am »
Is that what it's called? A wildwood weed? I thought maybe it was marijuana! :laugh:

That one was turning yellow for some reason. Maybe a deer peed on it. There was a whole bunch of them growing down there. I sometimes see kids heading down to those woods, and after I saw these plants, I started wondering if that was the reason why they were going down there. :-\

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2633 on: May 22, 2008, 05:47:44 pm »
Wow, David, these pictures are beautiful. You are definitely an excellent photographer. What kind of camera is this you used? I bet you have posted it, but I haven't read very far back yet. I'm sorry  ;)

You asked about the cameras I have. Well here is what I have:

I actually have 4 digital cameras plus my oldest one so that would make 5. The oldest one is one of the first Digital Elph's made. I believe the model number on that one is S110. It is an excellent camera even though it is getting old now and is 2.1MP. Currently it is sick in that none of my lithium batteries for it will hold a charge for any more than 2 or 3 pictures. Someone suggested that the problem might be the battery charger itself. That camera was actually a Christmas gift. Strangely enough this camera and 2 of the others were given to me as gifts. That makes me very camera rich for sure.

I then have a Canon PowerShot SD30 Digital Elph. Now this is a small camera. You can pretty much carry it around in your pocket. It is smaller than a pack of cigarettes. It is 5.0MP.

The next is a Canon PowerShot TX1.

Finally I have a Canon PowerShot G9.

And for the really expensive one that I truly have not learned to use well at all is a Canon EOS 20D 8.2MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens. I know this camera is capable of doing a lot and also that the lenses could run into all kinds of money.

Ok now it is your turn David to help me use these to their full potential  ;) Since I am finally finished with classes I can put a lot of work into these now  :)

Jack

You have quite a collection of cameras Jack! Good for you! :D

Most of my pictures are taken with my Canon Powershot G9. I was happy to hear you also own a G9. Don't you LOVE that camera? Talk about a camera LOADED with features. Our G9s have just about everything, don't they? I only wished it had the infra-red night vision like my Sony F717. I've actually used my Sony to find my way around in the dark when the power goes out! lol

I also have a Canon A70, I bought several years ago. I was looking for a small camera I could carry around in my pocket. It is only a 3.2 mp camera, a far cry from the G9 which has 12.1 mp. I have four film cameras - a Kodak APS, a Canon Rebel SLR, and two medium format cameras which I used when I was a freelance photographer a few years back. I'm thinking about selling my Hasselblad because I don't use it too much anymore.

Anyway, I use my Canon G9 most of the time now. I love it. It's a fun camera to use and it's easy to carry around. I hate the neck strap though. I took it off, and I'm currently looking for a wrist strap that will fit it. The camera is much too small for a neck strap and it gets in the way when I'm shooting pictures, so I removed it and I don't use it anymore.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2634 on: May 22, 2008, 05:58:27 pm »
This gumbo limbo tree is in my yard.  It recently lost all its foliage and is just beginning to bud again.

Love your pictures Susie!! The horse is so cute. I'm glad you took a picture of him. I've never heard of a gumbo limbo tree before! I lived in south Florida for a couple of years, so I'm sure I saw them when I lived down there.

I'm a BAD ex Floridian, aren't I? :laugh:

It's a pretty looking tree. Does it shed its leaves each year? I'm glad they are growing back now. :D

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #2635 on: May 23, 2008, 03:33:49 pm »
Is Cody's hair still red, well pink after you put that other stuff on it? He sounds like a punk rocker  ;D It would be hard to tell if my Code got red dye on him cause he is so black it might not show up.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2636 on: May 23, 2008, 03:37:44 pm »
Is Cody's hair still red, well pink after you put that other stuff on it? He sounds like a punk rocker  ;D It would be hard to tell if my Code got red dye on him cause he is so black it might not show up.

I cut it off, so it's gone now THANK GOD! :laugh:

>:( >:(

It didn't soak down deep into his coat, so I just cut it off and brush the other fur over, so it's not noticable.

Yeah, he REALLY DID look a bit like a punk rocker.... a golden retriever punk rocker. Probably the only one within a 200 mile radius of here. lol

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2637 on: May 23, 2008, 03:54:46 pm »
Well I am glad that he got through his punk rocker stage. Now let's hope he doesn't get a mohawk  :laugh:

It is funny how pets can get to what you are doing so fast. I'm always having to keep Code out of things that he doesn't need to be messing with, but he can walk very fast and get there before I know it. One time he was sleeping up on top of the cabinets in the kitchen when he wasn't much more than a kitten. They are pretty high. All of a sudden I heard this sound and saw this pile of black falling fast to the floor. I wasn't even sure what it was at first, but it was Code. He had rolled off the cabinets and had nothing to grab on to. He was going fast to the floor. But he didn't get hurt or anything.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2638 on: May 23, 2008, 04:39:09 pm »
Well I am glad that he got through his punk rocker stage. Now let's hope he doesn't get a mohawk  :laugh:

It is funny how pets can get to what you are doing so fast. I'm always having to keep Code out of things that he doesn't need to be messing with, but he can walk very fast and get there before I know it. One time he was sleeping up on top of the cabinets in the kitchen when he wasn't much more than a kitten. They are pretty high. All of a sudden I heard this sound and saw this pile of black falling fast to the floor. I wasn't even sure what it was at first, but it was Code. He had rolled off the cabinets and had nothing to grab on to. He was going fast to the floor. But he didn't get hurt or anything.

Awww! Poor Code!! :'(

That's actually happened to me before. Once, Alex and I crawled up to a ledge down in my basement. It's probably about 7 feet up off the floor. We climbed up there and *um hum*, you know! Anyway, we both fell asleep up there and at some point I rolled off the side and fell to the floor. I'll never forget that feeling of suddenly waking up as I was falling to the floor. It was awful! It's like those dreams we all have of falling and then we suddenly wake up, except this time it was REALLY happening! And like Code, I wasn't hurt. Just embarrassed.

Poor Code! I'm glad he wasn't hurt. It probably nearly scared him to death though when it was happening! I can vouch for him! :laugh:

My cat Oreo sometimes rolls off the top of the couch when he's sleeping. Or off the window sill in the living room. I'll place some pillows down there if I see him sleeping in those locations just in case it happens! :)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #2639 on: May 23, 2008, 05:02:11 pm »
Awww! Poor Code!! :'(

That's actually happened to me before. Once, Alex and I crawled up to a ledge down in my basement. It's probably about 7 feet up off the floor. We climbed up there and *um hum*, you know!

I'm shocked! Shocked I tell you!

My old Cat Brandy mesmirised himself watching fish and fell of the seat once.. that was quite funny I have to admit!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/